What will you name your ship

Uncle_Vanya

I'll attempt to use the correct ship prefix: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_prefix

Followed by some relatively obscure sci-fi reference only a few people will "get". I hear that in the 30th century, naming your ship after 20th or 21st century science fiction is all the rage.

So for example, my Constellation might be the HTV Kilrathi. Or since its cargo capacity isn't the greatest and it is a Phoenix, maybe it'll be the MY Kilrathi. :P

ISS Ratel for Connie
ISS Loftus for MM

ISS Eland for Gladius (still to buy)
ISS Rooivalk for Vanguard (still to buy)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratel_IFV

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loftus_Versfeld_Stadium

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eland_Mk7

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denel_Rooivalk

ISS sounds 2 space station like, rather have different sections with meaningful names e.g.

ICO: Imperium Combat Ops
ITI: Imperium Trade and Industry 

IEX: Imperium Exploration

IHR: Imperium HR

etc. 

Not sure if I'm going to name my smaller ships, I'd prefer my Handle to be used since they're just small single-seaters.

My future Cutlass Red - ISS Irwyn

Other future ship names:

Cliff

Pinnacle

Apogee

Vertex

Zenith

(an obvious theme  :D)

• 2 weeks later...

i will give women names :) to all my present and future ships, i only have 2 ships at the moment so,

Ship Name, Type (ex: F = Fight, B = BountyHunter), Number = replacements (hopefully will not go up to mush :) )  

Aurora LN -> Valentina F-1

Avenger -> Olga B-1 

Ewww not sexy at all. It's more like being back into the womb every time you fly one of those femme ships. 

As for myself

Super Hornet 1: Phobos (first moon of mars)

Super Hornet 2: Deimos (second moon of mars)

Reclaimer: Red Dwarf (as in the series and the star itself)

Orion: Black Hole

I have a name, but I'm waiting on the right ship. When she comes around, she'll be named "The Mourning Maiden"

To me it feels sinister, and that dual meaning hits me in the right spots haha.

"Taking all your husbands away."

• 6 months later...
  • 5 years later...
On 2/3/2014 at 8:25 AM, Fredworth said:

I haven't decided yet which ship will go by which name, but two names are a must:

• "Stargate HED-GP" (used to confuse the hell out of some inexperienced guys ;)

and, of course

• "6EQUJ5"

Aaaand just a few days later I can finally name my ship :)

lol 5 years later...

With so many people in this thread no longer around, I now know how those survivors at the beginning of Endgame felt! Anyways, so glad all my ships were bought during the concept phase (finally some benefit to us early backers!), just wish I could remember all the cool names I came up with over the years...

4 hours ago, LowZone said:

lol 5 years later...

With so many people in this thread no longer around, I now know how those survivors at the beginning of Endgame felt!

Some have even passed away. Honestly doubt the game will ever be released anymore. Honestly glad I never invested more than the bare minimum financially. I'd be furious if I spent thousands like some friends did.

4 hours ago, LowZone said:

lol 5 years later...

With so many people in this thread no longer around, I now know how those survivors at the beginning of Endgame felt! Anyways, so glad all my ships were bought during the concept phase (finally some benefit to us early backers!), just wish I could remember all the cool names I came up with over the years...

Should've put the 250eu into BTC, instead of SC 😂

Since I know that these questions are being asked by a lot of people right now, I thought I'd jump in here and issue a statement:

As of this time Imperium has not put into place any restrictions on ship names, beyond those limits imposed by CIG.  Feel free (within those limits) to name your ship whatever you want.

When it comes to adding an Imperium designation before your ship name (a.k.a. a "fleet tag") we have not settled on a final one for Imperium at this time, but additionally we are waiting to see if CIG plans on implementing an Org/Fleet tag system of their own.  Therefore we encourage people to simply name their ship whatever they want.  If you want to add an Imperium tag such as I.S.S. (Imperium Space Ship) or I.N.S. (Imperium Naval Ship), that is certainly something that we would allow, but we would add the possible warning that if CIG implements their own fleet/ship tag system, you might wind up creating a ship with a double tag such as the "I.S.S.  ISS BoatyMcBoatface", therefore it might be easier to simply name your ship with whatever unique name you truly desire, secure in the knowledge that if CIG doesn't implement a unique Org tag system later, it should be (comparatively) easy to add a (user created) tag later, whereas deleting a tag (to avoid the double tag problem) might cause problems with the unique ship naming system (in that your unique name might have already been taken by someone else).

8 hours ago, Arcanus said:

You sir, are a (radio astronomy) nerd 🤓, and (speaking just for myself) I wholeheartedly approve :thumb:

I thought it might be a fitting name for my ship - even if it will be a few more years till I get to put that nametag on my endeavour :)

On 2/28/2021 at 12:59 AM, Arcanus said:

Since I know that these questions are being asked by a lot of people right now, I thought I'd jump in here and issue a statement:

As of this time Imperium has not put into place any restrictions on ship names, beyond those limits imposed by CIG.  Feel free (within those limits) to name your ship whatever you want.

When it comes to adding an Imperium designation before your ship name (a.k.a. a "fleet tag") we have not settled on a final one for Imperium at this time, but additionally we are waiting to see if CIG plans on implementing an Org/Fleet tag system of there own.  Therefore we encourage people to simply name their ship whatever they want.  If you want to add an Imperium tag such as I.S.S. (Imperium Space Ship) or I.N.S. (Imperium Naval Ship), that is certainly something that we would allow, but we would add the possible warning that if CIG implements their own fleet/ship tag system, you might wind up creating a ship with a double tag such as the "I.S.S.  ISS BoatyMcBoatface", therefore it might be easier to simply name your ship with whatever unique name you truly desire, secure in the knowledge that if CIG doesn't implement a unique Org tag system later, it should be (comparatively) easy to add a (user created) tag later, whereas deleting a tag (to avoid the double tag problem) might cause problems with the unique ship naming system (in that your unique name might have already been taken by someone else).

Yeah I definitely hope we will see something like that from CIG. Then our Org leader can set up an official tag for ships representing IMPERIUM. 😍

INS might be taken already though as I've seen that tag being used on the INS-Jericho space station. Unless ofcourse we just pretend that this was actually our space station that we graciously loaned out to the UEE Navy for use in restocking their warships. :D

INS-Jericho_Nameplate.thumb.png.af67c9b554dfc09d93cc1fdac4f7a15f.png

But yeah, I do recall discussions we've had many years ago regarding official tags. I believe [IMP] was also a contender at one point. Here's hoping that CIG will implement a system which allows Orgs to visually represent themselves on their member's ships. I for one would also love it if we're allowed to have custom Org decals on our ships. :)

IMPERIUM-Logo.png.07253c7303e21f3e057bf95873398016.png

So the initial wave went out, and it came time to name MY Hammerhead...

I tried to snag "Mjolnir" but someone else was just a little too quick and snagged it before me (or else CIG had it reserved).

So what did I do?  Well, not to be discouraged, I checked through mythology for other magical, mythical, or otherwise legendary hammers....  sadly there weren't very many, and many that did occur (such as the Hammer of Hephaestus) were never actually named (or else I couldn't find the name with the limited time I had)...  Not to be discouraged I decided to try the Pop Culture route instead, and I succeeded!!!

What (named) hammer's occur in Pop Culture you ask?

That's right, I named my Hammerhead "Grabthar", so I am now the proud owner of "Grabthar's Hammerhead"...and you shall be avenged!

Grabthars Hammerhead.png