Xi'an Scout - Khartu-al (export model)

WinterDragon

@daHawk. Thanks man. This is the way I'm kinda leaning; As you say, looking at my ships and more heavily oriented right now. It might be more prudent to have a faster ship travel. Anybody else with any advice or any thoughts, please feel free to chime in.

I was watching the Geekdomo´s podcast today and the guys brought up something I nearly forgot when looking at earlier Rihlah IV concept art, Xi´an planet. There are some vertical ships at these images, which don´t necessarily have to be the scout ship we are talking about (it seems that they have one main thruster) but at least they show the style of Xi´an and our scout could be based on, interesting.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is very interesting if it was the scouts. I like them and I imagine the would be great for dogfights but maybe not so much for recon. I still think speed over agility works better for recon, unless you could have both of course

I whas very interested.

But an explorer without a cargohold? No thanks.

I agree, an exploration ship with no cargo capacity doesn't make sense. If you're fortunate enough to find some salvage or resources while you're out exploring, what are you going to do? Mark the location, fly back home, pick up your 315p or Freelancer, and fly all the way back? It would make more sense to just explore in those ships to begin with. :)

I believe that the likely explanation is that it's a Xi'an attack craft that's been converted into a "scout" for the export market -- perhaps because the Xi'an won't permit a combat ship to be exported to their cold war rival. The description mentions that it's based on the Khartu light attack craft from the Xi'an military, which has been de-militarized into the Khartu-al export model. The probably means that the Khartu is the Xi'an's analog to the UEE F7A Military Hornet.

I'm sure it'll make for some interesting dogfights to see these two very different but possibly equally matched ships go at it in the Dogfighting Alpha...

Oh dammit, now I HAVE to buy one. ;) Thanks, brain. :D

You're right I forgot that it's originally an attack craft, so i guess the no cargo does not really matter then.

Hmm.. Thanks for the post Reavern, my wallet is already starving this might kill it.

But still 150 USD is a lot compared to the hornet.

edit: I don't think that its the Xian scout on that picture Rotorax, as supposedly it should have a wide array of maneuvering thrusters.

And I only see 2 thrusters on that picture.

I cant decide if I want one.. Considering melting my Gladiator and using the funds for this as it looks more interesting than the Gladiator.

It all depends on your flying and fighting style.

First and foremost, the Xi'an Scout will probably fly unlike any ship in the game -- possibly any flight combat game any of us have every played. ;) As for it's fighting style, it has 6 cannon hardpoints, but no missiles, so it'll probably be at a disadvantage in ranged combat.

I see you also have a Retaliator, which means that you could reclaim your Gladiator and still have a bomber.

I personally plan to load my Gladiator with missiles and use it as a missile-spamming attack-fighter. B) I'll use my Retaliator to torpedo cap ships. :D The Xi'an Scout's lack of missiles means that it can't replace either of the bombers IMO.

I'm not going to reclaim any of my ships for the Xi'an Scout, but haven't decided if I'll buy it or not. Knowing that it's a de-milled export model of the Xi'an Khartu attack craft is a major hurdle for me, because I know there will be a superior military version out there, which I can capture. And it doesn't help that there's no pic of the Xi'an Scout yet. Hopefully we'll get to see it before the end of the sale. That'll be the push I need.  :)

One of the reasons I am considering it is because of the unique playstyle it will likely have. I havent put to much thought into what I was going to use my 2 bombers for but was considering trading the Gladiator as I would still have another bomber and the Glad isnt a ship I ever thought I needed, more so one I picked up as it was available and looked cool.

I have the rest of the day to decide, I will wait until the live stream and see if any further information is given to us about the Xian ship and can still pick one up then. It will definitely be different than flying any other ship we currently know about though and thta is one of the main appeals for me.

I agree. It'll definitely have a unique play-style  :)

My only concern about the Xi'an Scout is that no joystick-throttle-rudder pedal setup will be able to control it optimally. I mean, I'm sure CIG will work out the controls so anyone can fly it, regardless of their controller setup. However, I expect that a customized and unique flight control system would be required for full manual control of the Xi'an Scout.

Also, I don't think we've seen the Xi'an alien designs yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have 2 pairs or arms, or their legs and feet are as dexterous as arms and hands. Because I think you'd need more than two hands to operate all of those thrusters, manually. Or, I suppose the Xi'an could have highly advanced fly-by-wire tech that fully controls all the thrusters, making the controls extremely simple. Who knows? :D

Regardless, I'm very interested in seeing what the interior of the Xi'an Scout's cockpit looks like. :)

It all depends on your flying and fighting style.

First and foremost, the Xi'an Scout will probably fly unlike any ship in the game -- possibly any flight combat game any of us have every played.  ;) As for it's fighting style, it has 6 cannon hardpoints, but no missiles, so it'll probably be at a disadvantage in ranged combat.

I see you also have a Retaliator, which means that you could reclaim your Gladiator and still have a bomber.

I personally plan to load my Gladiator with missiles and use it as a missile-spamming attack-fighter.  B) I'll use my Retaliator to torpedo cap ships.  :D The Xi'an Scout's lack of missiles means that it can't replace either of the bombers IMO.

I'm not going to reclaim any of my ships for the Xi'an Scout, but haven't decided if I'll buy it or not. Knowing that it's a de-milled export model of the Xi'an Khartu attack craft is a major hurdle for me, because I know there will be a superior military version out there, which I can capture. And it doesn't help that there's no pic of the Xi'an Scout yet. Hopefully we'll get to see it before the end of the sale. That'll be the push I need. :)

Capturing mgith be possible, but that's assuming a couple things:

1. are the controls usable by a human? If not, you're going to have a hard time flying it back. If you can get it back, can you get it switched to human-compatible? (probably)

2. are you willing to attack an allied nation/species to get a ship?

2a. are you willing to bring the wrath of the Xi'an down upon yourself?

2b. are you willing to bring down the wrath of the Xi'an on Imperium?

2c. are you willing to start a war?

Capturing mgith be possible, but that's assuming a couple things:

1. are the controls usable by a human? If not, you're going to have a hard time flying it back. If you can get it back, can you get it switched to human-compatible? (probably)

2. are you willing to attack an allied nation/species to get a ship?

2a. are you willing to bring the wrath of the Xi'an down upon yourself?

2b. are you willing to bring down the wrath of the Xi'an on Imperium?

2c. are you willing to start a war?

1. Dunno. Eventually we'll see what the interior of the cockpit looks like, and we'll see if a human can pilot a Xi'an Khartu, or if requires 6 arms to operate all those thrusters. :lol:

2's. I founded the Vanduul Hunters and established Eclipse Squadron to hunt and kill Vanduul, and commandeer their ships for Imperium's personal use and profit. So that should answer those questions. And the same applies to the Xi'an.

The Xi'an are the UEE's former (and current) cold war rival, not a true ally. Star Citizen's lore has already established that the UEE and Xi'an continue to engage in clandestine ops against each other. The supposed peace between the UEE and Xi'an is simply the starting point for the Star Citizen game, to facilitate an open in-game universe wherein players can travel to Xi'an territory, trade with them, and purchase their ships and tech. But it's only a matter of time before CIG shakes up the SC universe with a war between the UEE and Xi'an. This will probably occur at least a couple of years after the game's launch, when CIG has said they'll add the Xi'an and other alien species as playable factions.

From a storyteller's perspective, it doesn't make sense to create a rival superpower like the Xi'an and not have them declare war on the human race. Stories are about change, not the same ol', same ol'. Game of Thrones wouldn't be such a compelling series if King Robert Baratheon continued to drink and whore to the ripe old age of 90, Khal Drogo and Daenerys Targaryen raised their son in peace in Essos, the dragon eggs didn't hatch, the White Walkers didn't return, and winter never came. ;)

Therefore, a war between the UEE and Xi'an is inevitable... and if commandeering a Xi'an ship is the inciting incident that provokes the war, and writes my character into Star Citizen's lore, all the better. :D

Not sure if anyone brought this up, but did we buy the Khartu-al (export model) or the Khartu (military model)?  

Or is it just a slip up by CIG or a typo in the Pledge section?

Definitely a typo. They wouldn't have driven the point home in the description if there was any chance that we could buy the Xi'an military version of the Khartu attack craft.

1. Dunno. Eventually we'll see what the interior of the cockpit looks like, and we'll see if a human can pilot a Xi'an Khartu, or if requires 6 arms to operate all those thrusters. :lol:

2's. I founded the Vanduul Hunters and established Eclipse Squadron to hunt and kill Vanduul, and commandeer their ships for Imperium's personal use and profit. So that should answer those questions. And the same applies to the Xi'an.

The Xi'an are the UEE's former (and current) cold war rival, not a true ally. Star Citizen's lore has already established that the UEE and Xi'an continue to engage in clandestine ops against each other. The supposed peace between the UEE and Xi'an is simply the starting point for the Star Citizen game, to facilitate an open in-game universe wherein players can travel to Xi'an territory, trade with them, and purchase their ships and tech. But it's only a matter of time before CIG shakes up the SC universe with a war between the UEE and Xi'an. This will probably occur at least a couple of years after the game's launch, when CIG has said they'll add the Xi'an and other alien species as playable factions.

From a storyteller's perspective, it doesn't make sense to create a rival superpower like the Xi'an and not have them declare war on the human race. Stories are about change, not the same ol', same ol'. Game of Thrones wouldn't be such a compelling series if King Robert Baratheon continued to drink and whore to the ripe old age of 90, Khal Drogo and Daenerys Targaryen raised their son in peace in Essos, the dragon eggs didn't hatch, the White Walkers didn't return, and winter never came. ;)

Therefore, a war between the UEE and Xi'an is inevitable... and if commandeering a Xi'an ship is the inciting incident that provokes the war, and writes my character into Star Citizen's lore, all the better. :D

I was just wondering if your stance on hostile aliens was the same as unfriendly ones.

Its possible that the Vanduul might become the White Walker threat equivalent, and we'll have to ALLY with the xi'an and set aside our differences. We won't know until the Universe starts up.

Not even a pic of it is making me skip this one, since 2 days from now a PS4 will be arriving which has to be paid as well, i needed more than just a description to get me to invest in it.

New footage of the Avenger made me regret melting it though...still a bit of time left to decide if i want to reaquire one of those