Caterpillar is for sale!

Boildown

Seems to be overpriced about $100 just going by ship stats.

Yeah, at $225 I compared it to the Constellation and got a bit of flak for that on the RSI forums. But to me it's always a 'bang for buck' comparison and I feel the Caterpillar is a little underwhelming for its pricetag in my humble opinion... :P

It's a nice ship and kudos to those who buy it; but I'm going to stick to my Constellation. :)

(Now if it was the Retaliator and they would show me pictures or it, that might tempt me more... That one sounds very interesting and I believe they were available for $250 at one time??)

(Now if it was the Retaliator and they would show me pictures or it, that might tempt me more... That one sounds very interesting and I believe they were available for $250 at one time??)

I would definitely bite on the Retaliator.  I'm just on the wait list for now.

Yeah, at $225 I compared it to the Constellation and got a bit of flak for that on the RSI forums. But to me it's always a 'bang for buck' comparison and I feel the Caterpillar is a little underwhelming for its pricetag in my humble opinion... :P   It's a nice ship and kudos to those who buy it; but I'm going to stick to my Constellation. :)

I agree with that. I just don't see how they compare in the Cat's favor. The main reason to buy one IMO is to assume that it will be worth it, just in ways not revealed yet, making this ship undervalued and rare. I'm not an original nor veteran... can you guys get this Caterpillar ship with LTI atm? I cannot.

The Caterpillar is potentially the most lucrative ship to own, because it (supposedly) specializes in ship boarding and capture operations, and could generate A LOT of credits for the player. In fact, it's even better to buy it now, because CIG has revealed that ship prices will nearly triple when the PU game begins. I'm tempted to buy a Cat, but much like the Starfarer, I know I wouldn't use it very much in the game, because I prefer combat, not transporting cargo or troops through space. I'd more likely be flying a Hornet or Connie or Retaliator in battle. And since I wouldn't be flying the Cat, other Imperium members would be executing the boarding op, and presumably one of them would own the Cat. I just can't justify spending $225 on a ship I know that I'll rarely use -- even to support SC's development. I'd rather spend that money on a ship I'll actually use. :)

@Reaven  I concur with you on this.  I love the artwork and the style on the Cat more than any other ship; however, in actual game play terms, I don't see me flying it very much either.  Looking at the photos, it is a passenger transport.  The value of passengers has certainly risen since the announcement of first person fighting & armed scavenging missions.  But most people who play the game are going to want to do ship to ship combat, hence their interest in a space game, not Battlefield 3.  

The first time I had the opportunity to buy it, I went with the Connie instead.  Now I'm struggling with the same decision, but I think the result will be the same and I'll keep the Connie since it is much more versatile.  I still love the style of the Cat.  Personally I think the connie should hold 20 tons of cargo since it has a Merlin on board and the Cat should have 35 tons.  Then I would pick the Cat over the Connie.

I just don't see getting a group of 5 people together and one person is "cool" with being in charge of the sensors, and another person is in charge of looking out the back window.  I think my friends would rather fly a Merlin.  It's still an awesome ship, the Connie just makes more sense for me.

Yeah, at $225 I compared it to the Constellation and got a bit of flak for that on the RSI forums. But to me it's always a 'bang for buck' comparison and I feel the Caterpillar is a little underwhelming for its pricetag in my humble opinion... :P

It's a nice ship and kudos to those who buy it; but I'm going to stick to my Constellation. :)

Yeah, it's actually supposed to rival the Freelancer, not the Constellation. It's possible that when the Buccaneer comes out, we will see something that rivals the Connie. That last part is just speculation, however.

Ben made the comment that it will be a very good ship for salvaging and repairing.

Now I really want this ship, but it would be almost my entire budget and it wouldn't fit my wanting to fly solo idea.

What to do, what to do.

As a free service to the fleet members, I got some extra Cats in my account and if you decide to have one in the near future just let me know.

I'll eventually melt them down for Idris when it become available, so I cannot guarantee when I'll melt them. But I should be able to keep them for 1-2 months. 

(please move this post to other place for me, if it doesn't belong here)

Hummmmmmmm *ponders* I'll probably get one myself, just to have one and see if I can find a use for it in-game later on at some point.  Looks kinda fun, and I like the idea of being versatile and well stocked for Imperium as well heh.

I'll just eat Ramen for a while, s'all good lol!

I tried to talk myself out of it and resisted for a hard fought 8 hours...

But I have succumbed to temptation and bought the Caterpillar.

It's my birthday, dammit, and I want a kickass Pirate Ship! B)  :D

Happy birthday Reavern. Pamper yourself today ;)

As a free service to the fleet members, I got some extra Cats in my account and if you decide to have one in the near future just let me know.

I'll eventually melt them down for Idris when it become available, so I cannot guarantee when I'll melt them. But I should be able to keep them for 1-2 months. 

(please move this post to other place for me, if it doesn't belong here)

Hmmm, the more I think about it; the more I may wish to take you up on that offer. Unfortunately it wouldn't be straight away as I don't have a lot of money. :(

But if you intend to hang on to them it might give me time to decide and get the money somehow (without having to wear a mask and trying to rob a bank) :lol:

I assume your Caterpillars have LTI on them; seeing that you're a Wing Commander! Wow... :o

You see, compared to the Constellation it felt a little underwhelming at first. However, the "Compartmentalized hold options" sounds very interesting. Not sure how far Chris would be willing to go, but imagine swapping out 2 'compartments' for a miniature flight deck that could carry a snubfighter. Or converting them all to hold 2. Or weapon compartments that contain extra external turrets or missiles.

Heck, looking at the pictures and the way the command pod seems to be removable and function as a giant escape pod; I wonder if you could even go as far as to place it on top and add another wing to the sides. So changing an asymmetrical ship to a symmetrical one. :P

Posted Image

I may have to ask Wingman about this and hope he can tell me how far these 'options' actually go... ;)

If you're on the fence and can get LTI at will, melt your Connie and get this, as this is a limited chance and the Connie will be available all the way until the LTI deadline. Make up your mind for the final time in late November.

Solid advice Boildown.  I melted my Connie to buy me more time.  And now I am leaning towards being a Cat owner over a Connie.  In a lot of MMO's the healer / support roles are the most valuable to a group and this may be the case here too.  

In a group this ship should do really well with providing support and those two HUGE guns in front should be alright too.  Plus it should be able to scavenge and salvage after a big battle and get some nice pick ups there.  

The Con side is I can solo the Connie, where this ship is going to be vulnerable flying alone.  

The artwork is what sold me.  To me, the Connie should have 20 Tons cargo space and the Cat should have 30.  I don't even think the Connie pilots would complain at having 20 tons of cargo space, since it houses a Merlin, goes fast, and is heavily armed.