practical difference between freelancer and caterpillar

zerkerz

What the practical difference between freelancer amd caterpillar? All i know is what is showing on the fact page. Only big difference that i see is the - Visual - Crew members ( freelancer 2, caterpillar 5) -  And caterpillar got tractor beam? (look at the specs) And when reading the description they say that the caterpillar just is a "evil twin"

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

These ships are not just capable of only one goal. You attack ships perfectly fine in the Freelancer. Lets look at the Raw Data as it sits right now.

They share the same structural data, engines, maneuvering thrusters, but the Freelancer is way much less mass then the Caterpillar and holds the same cargo, That means its going to be faster, more maneuverable in combat then the Caterpillar. Better for attacking ships.

The caterpillar has 1 more gun on it, and it doesn't even specify size, it has 2 class 4's were the Freelancer has 1 class 5 twin-turret. so it doesn't really even have more guns then it. Just a big fat slow moving variation of the Freelancer, which also means the Caterpillar wont work well as a troop transport or drop ship because its so long and awkward compared to the more compact freelancer that still has the same cargo capacity.

Tractor beams are just a tool you can put on any ship that has a mount that will support it. It is not exclusive to the Caterpillar, as is the extended docking ring on the Cutlass, both of those will be able to go on a freelancer. Its simply a better ship. :)

@Amedeus

I have to disagree, you cannot just say it's the "better ship". It depends on what you want to do with it.

They may have been called 'twins', but they are very different and not easily comparable.

The Cat will definitely have a larger cargo than it says in current stats, it is a very capable troop transporter, boarder and very versatile transport. There is a special feature that CIG announced, but have yet to reveal (adding more blocks of cargo compartments?).

The Freelancer is a much better exploration vessel i'd say, probably more mobile, but not as versatile. We havent even seen the variants yet though.

CIG hasn't made any ships that are just upgrades of each other, they are different ships with different roles and features.

@Ryofar

"Its simply a better ship. :)" <-smiley face, denotes humor. no need to get your delicates in a twist over it.

As far as versatility and what we know it cant do so far, there is entire threads to how versitile the Freelancer is. the fact it isn't as long or bulky as the Caterpillar will make it quicker to rotate and pitch into position for a troop deployment. Its rear door is nothing less then perfect and damn near a copy of the C-130 cargo plane used extensively for paratroopers. The caterpillar is just so long and awkward that any quick deployment to say board a capital ship is going to be cumbersome to line it up.

The freelancer will easily be able to do most jobs in space just from its current iteration, and even more with the update plans RSI already said they are doing.

The position of the rear turret is perfect for cover fire as a drop ship, or put a tractor beam there and you can just tractor beam stuff right into the rear cargo hold, since there is a sealed door between the 2 cargo holds. The caterpillar is by no means a bad ship, but for a lot of tasks that require mobility, which is import in most jobs, the cat is  thinner, twice as long and nearly twice as tall, a lot heavier the freelancer with the same maneuvering thrusters. Its going to turn like a semi truck compared to the freelancer, and the freelancer is also using xi'an tech in it, especially in the thrusters deparrment, its going to be very agile.

The caterpillar is again by no means a bad ship, but then even if you tried to use it for actual pirating or boarding. the cutlass would still be the better choice even among pirate style ships.

but I would still pick the Freelancer over the Cutlass because of the increased cargo, and the cutlass doesn't appear to have a turret mount that would make it easy to use for salvage, and the smaller sized power plant and shields.

I had considered buying an Avenger before LTI ended, but in the end I didn't cause the freelancer could do all the tasks I would imagine I would want the Avenger for except for really stulish taxi transports, or a really really fast transport. but it also has tiny (3) power plant and shields compared to the freelancers (5).

But I didn't buy any pretty ships, both my ships, Super Hornet and Freelancer are considered some of the ugliest ships in SC. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping the expand the cargo capacity of the cat. it's just so much larger than the Freelancer. It could be all living quarters, in which case you're looking at an agressive boarding vessel.

That said, Freelancer clearly has (cozy...) sleep and live space for 4. Not long term, perhaps, but I don't understand why they only say a crew of 2 (I know the turret, but clearly you can bring more along? maybe the cat will be able to actually use 5...in which case I'm thinking more guns...)