325A v. Freelancer

Star Lord

I currently have the package for the 325a and I am comtimplating switching it out for the freelancer. I really like the Star Citizen project (digital freelancer is a more expensive package so I would back it more) and I am tempted to get the freelancer due to its advanced hauling and exploration capabilities v 325a all-round role.

I want to play a mixed role in the game, but in the begining I want to enjoy exploring the universe, but want the necessary defenses to protect myself against an attack. I also have been unable to get many of my console playing friends on board so I would have no friends to join me in the freelancer, which to me would be half of the fun.

So given my perdicament, which direct do you believe I should take? should I stick with my 325a and discount hanger or move up to the bigger freelancer and business class hanger?

Additionally, for the hangers we currently have, do we keep the "class of hanger" we have for the life of the game of after a predetermined period will we have a "rent" due?

I appreciate your help!

I thought about the same thing before going with the Freelancer.  I wouldn't worry about not having a gunner in your Freelancer, you can always hire a NPC or join Imperium for lots of friends ;) .  The 325 is definitely going to be a better 1 on 1 fighter which is why I probably will pick one up eventually.  But I plan to fly with my fleet members, so I am not too concerned with the limitations of one particular ship.  However, if you plan to be the solo/lone wolf type, I would probably go with the 325.

With that said, just get what will give you more fun.  You can always pick up the other by earning it in game.

Edit:  Hangers don't matter in my opinion.  As far as I know, you get to keep that hanger forever at your starting location.  But when you get additional hangers, I am not sure how that works.

Personally I am thinking about going with both.  Although I currently have the 325a and intend to stick with it so I have a capeable dofighter but ideally I would love to get a hold of a Freelancer before launch to use as a smuggler/hauler/exploration ship, that and it would be nice to have something to fly with a couple of friends.

I have a 325a and I am planning on getting a Freelancer in a couple of days. 

If you can afford it, I'd say both. They are completely different ships. 

If you can only get one, get the 325a. It is the best all-rounder out of them, and will be much more capable of defending itself than a Freelancer. 

However, if you want to do a lot of trading then get the Freelancer. It all depends on what you see yourself doing in-game. 

I see myself doing a bit of everything, which is why I have a 325a and am going to get the Freelancer.

It's tricky giving advice in this situation, because the Freelancer would generate more than twice the income compared to the 325a, because of its larger cargo capacity. Before long, the OP could probably buy a 325a in-game. However, I predict that Freelancer will be fodder for pirates, which would be even worse if the OP doesn't have a gunner for the aft turret. The 325a can defend itself better, and is less likely to be attacked in the first place.

The real dilemma is that because the Dogfighting Alpha will be released before the Persistent Universe Beta, it's hard not to recommend that the OP keep the 325a, because it's the superior combat ship and should be a helluvalot more fun to fly than the Freelancer. :D

Thanks everyone, this is all great advice and opinion's! Reavern made a really good point about the dogfighting alpha and that has led me to keep the 325a but i do like everyones advice to aim to procure the freelancer before launch. Also, silly question, but how did you all get assigned to/start what looks like squads in the imperium fleet? I notice your graphics below each of your posts and would definitely like to join one. Thanks!

I´ve got both :P

@Reavern: Saying that Lancer will be more profitable ship than 325a only because of bigger cargo hold is a little short-sighted IMO. You don´t really know how much prize money skillful pilots could get for high risk dogfighting missions. Look back at Freelancer game. You could earn money in two ways, safely by trading or more risky by pirate hunting. Only difference was that second option was more fun (and sometimes lot quicker) ;)

@Reavern: Saying that Lancer will be more profitable ship than 325a only because of bigger cargo hold is a little short-sighted IMO. You don´t really know how much prize money skillful pilots could get for high risk dogfighting missions. Look back at Freelancer game. You could earn money in two ways, safely by trading or more risky by pirate hunting. Only difference was that second option was more fun (and sometimes lot quicker) ;)

If this discussion was about a Hornet, I might agree that a combat pilot could earn just as much or even more than a miner/merchant with a Freelancer. But I'm not convinced about the 325a's combat capabilities. With only 4 missiles and a Mass Driver with limited ammo, a 325a could quickly run out of ammo during a prolonged fight and only have its standard laser cannons to fall back on, reducing it to a 300i. (I know, not quite because of its upgraded shields and engine, but close enough.) The fact that the Hornet costs the same as the Freelancer implies that they might earn the same amount of credits in-game for their particular roles, whereas the 325a might only half. A Freelancer could probably perform relatively safe hauls in high-sec UEE space and earn plenty of credits per run, whereas any combat mission undertaken by a 325a has a chance of getting blown up, which is why I believe that a Freelancer is a smarter investment and will generate enough income to buy a 325a in-game -- much faster and easier than a 325a could earn enough to pay for a Freelancer.

Coming from an exploration guy, and the fact that we have no real combat data whatsoever, this post prolly means f-all, but.....

Consider the 2 primary gimbal turrets and the rear gunner turret ostensibly mean the lancer carries 1 more weapon without considering the 2 missile hardpoints on the lancer, than the 325a, we have to assume the 325a stock will be superior in maneuverability (if not raw firepower)   than the lancer.

That being said... with upgraded maneuvering thrusters, full weapons, and a RL person at the rear turret... would the 325a be able to slay a lancer?

I wonder...

(just me up to late and musing.....)

Khan

Depends on skill, as do all matchups. Freelancer can take down a stella if the stella pilot sucks and an aurora can take down a hornet.

Equal skill i think it will be quite the even match between Freelancer and 325 a. Those rockets on the lancer dont look to friendly.

• 2 weeks later...

It should be noted Freelancer is first and foremost an explorer. CIG has already said they are planning to create hauling ships that will be more focused on huge cargospace. I just wanted to note this so you don't have the impression the Freelancer is some kind of hauling ships, which is actually not what CIG is intended.

The current variant of the freelancer is actually the one with the biggest cargospace I believe. The other variants will be smaller in that regard.

Will it be able to carry stuff, sure but that doesn't make it a hauler. It is at most a semi-truck.

Just setting your expectations right.

If you wanna explore, it's a great choice :)

^Pretty much what Cartina said

The freelancer is an exploration vessel aimed at explorers, i put faith in CIG to make sure that there would be no 'ultimate jack of all trades' ship because if that's the case there'd be no point in having any other ships. The 325A is marketed as an interdiction vessel and i believe it'd do just that - find your target, blow'im up and scram.

On the other hand, the Freelancer is well.. named as such for a reason - Freelancing, it is fairly armed for deterrence[Moreso if turret is manned by a second crewman] and contains plenty of upgrade space for utility - scanners and etc. In an all out 1v1, 2v2 dogfight though? The 325A(s) would probably win because that's what they are spec'd for, but all things considered the Freelancer wouldn't be a sitting duck either, a properly kitted explorer with a myriad of detection tools would enable them to g.t.f.o whilst exploring in the event they meet hostiles.

Is it a trading ship? No. But would it be one of the better starter ships? Possibly, due to the larger cargo space but remember, this is an exploration vessel!

Whatever ship you get would ultimately depend on what you plan to do in the game, not the other way around.

• 4 weeks later...

For me, I plan on just having my 325a for a start and then possibly adding the Freelancer to my hangar at a later date. If you are only going to have one ship I think that it would be better to have a ship that can fill all roles fairly well. Then again if you just plan on running with other players most of the time (exploring/merchant roles with other imperium members) then the freelancer would be fine.

I've asked myself the very same questions. 

My primary roles will be as a combat pilot first, and an exploration pilot part time.

TBH the 325a is not an exploration ship, so let's look at the "exploration oriented" 315p compared to a Freelancer instead:

Freelancer - Pros

1. Increased cargo capacity

2. Better scanners(?)

Freelancer - Cons

1. More vulnerable to interception

2. Requires 2 crew members for optimal combat function

315p - Pros

1. Less vulnerable to interception(?)

2. Doesn't require additional crew for optimal performance

315p - Cons

1. Less powerful scanners

2. Much less cargo space 

IMO you need the cargo space more than you need the slightly better combat capabilities. For instance, let's say you locate a hulk of a dead ship. I'm guessing these will not last long once you find them so the ability to salvage as much value as possible before other people find it will be a huge plus.

Due to this, I'm thinking the best ship for long range exploration/salvage might actually be a Freelancer, with the best combo being a Freelancer + long range(ie jump capable)support fighter(s).

I'm certain that when the Freelancer brochure is released (hopefully sooner than 4 months), we'll see what a real Exploration ship is capable of. B) And the pros and cons aren't going to be so balanced. ;) The 315p is a decent entry-level exploration ship, but I'm eager for the Freelancer. :D

This is making me reconsider my 315p. Loved the look and style of the 300i, but with the Constellation and Hornet, that left 315p as the only option. I guess I'll have to wait to see the Freelancer brochure (and my bank account) to see if I should melt it and buy it sans LTI in-game so I have a good explorer.

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting both of them. I already have the 325 and love it. I will pick up the freelancer and upgrade it for slash attacks. It mounts way bigger weapons than a fighter. The weapons are big and it has high level shields and thrusters. It will be a mean ship with all those massive missiles as well. A few freelancers could really be dangerous to bigger ships as they will have some firepower. Will it kill a idris no but the cat and cutlass better stay out of the front of it. Plus it should be fast as you can upgrade the main thrusters one level I think to TR6. Can someone tell me if the last is true.

Sorry dude, but that really isn't what the Freelancer is designed for. Yes, it has big laser cannons and plenty of missiles, but it will probably have trouble using them in combat against faster, more agile, and smaller combat ships, that should be able to stay out of the Lancer's line of fire, and attack it from behind. The Lancer's waist cannons probably only fired in a forward vertical arc. They can't fire backwards because they'll hit the engine nacelles and probably detonate the missiles. The Freelancer will have to rely on its aft turret for defence against dogfighters on its tail, but even twin cannons won't compare to Hornet's 4 to 8 cannons, plus missiles. I think the Freelanceris a great ship, which is why I own one. But I didn't buy it as a combat ships, and neither should you IMO. Buy it if you want an excellent mid-level exploration ship or freighter, because that's what it was designed for, not combat.

I know its not a dog fighter but the hornet and the 300 series will not have the firepower to really mess with the bigger stuff.  If you guys think the Connies guns will not rip through a hornet with one or two hits you are crazy.  The Idris will destroy dog fighters with its turrets as well.  A few well equipped Freelancers doing straffing runs pack way bigger punch against the big boys than a hornet.  Weapons are classed by size as well and the Hornet I do not think can mount guns as big as the Freelancer can.  Then you add in the Freelancers shields which are bigger along with power plant.  

I do see a dog fighter could pick a Freelancer apart by itself if done right but I really do not think a Hornet will want to go after a Freelancer alone.  One good hit and he might be in trouble.  

I don't think the Freelancer's weapons are that much more powerful than the Hornet's. Even if the big waist cannons are really powerful, the Freelancer probably won't be able to use them against faster and more agile dogfighters. Furthermore, JP10 revealed that lasers are very poor against shields. Apparently hard-ammo ballistic weapons are most effective at breaching shields, whereas energy weapons are most effective against hulls. So it's probably not going to be the Hornet's lasers that take down a Freelancer; it'll be something like a Gallenson gatling gun (like the ones featured in the Hornet commercial). B) Both the Freelancer and Constellation's turrets are armed with laser cannons, which aren't great against shields. But if they're upgraded to hard-ammo gatlings, the limited ammo will be a problem, because it's actually fairly difficult to aim a gun turret -- especially if the ship is maneuvering and the target ship is fast and a small target to hit. Lancer and Connie owners will have to decide between fairly ineffective lasers with unlimited ammo, or powerful ballistic cannons with limited ammo. Tough call. Regardless, I don't agree that Freelancers are going to be a match for a lone Hornet, or the Connie can destroy a Hornet in only a few shots. I think the ships will be much more fairly balanced and can take a fair amount of punishment.

Your not talking about the ships being balanced.  I think your calling all ships balanced and confusing it with all ships being equal.  They are all different.  Your talking about a hornet fighting a larger vessel no problem.  I would not think the Connie could dance with a Idris or a Idris could dance with a Bengal carrier without some difficulty.  

Just like I do not think a M50 will take out a hornet I do not think a lone hornet is the meanest ship in the galaxy.  The Hornet is going to be a great dog fighter but a lone Hornet is not going to go around jumping every other ship without getting its butt toasted.  Bigger ships mean they will be a little more dangerous.