Ships that will be useful in exploration

Balkor Wolf

On 7/7/2017 at 9:26 PM, LoxNyctores said:

Personally, I bought an Masterclass Endeavor for a REASON, and if I can, I want to fly it till the space rims fall off, preferably in some unknown corner of the galaxy, my org's flag (probably Imperium) planted firmly in  Terra Novus

Probably imperium? Get your act together cadet!

It might be a good idea to set up a temporary Unit for the sole purpose of spearheading as far out into Null-space as possible to establish a New Rome of sorts. As in, that's the ENTIRE goal. PU drops, a unit drives Kurt J Mac style. Is there anything like that? I took a look at the Units and Exploration seems to be secondary.

18 hours ago, LoxNyctores said:

It might be a good idea to set up a temporary Unit for the sole purpose of spearheading as far out into Null-space as possible to establish a New Rome of sorts. As in, that's the ENTIRE goal. PU drops, a unit drives Kurt J Mac style. Is there anything like that? I took a look at the Units and Exploration seems to be secondary.

I'm not sure this idea makes sense, as in, there is no null space so to speak. There are a few systems that will be relatively free of the UEE because they're ungoverned, but these are generally still populated with human NPC settlers. 

I know 100 systems is their advertised goal with an unknown percentage of their play area remaining undiscovered on launch. I think it would be key to get our explorers through the unexplored jump points first-but following them with the rest of the org may not make sense since there won't be much of an economy out there. If there was something profitable out there, then we wouldn't remain hidden for long because the constant stream of industry guys taking goods to market would reveal our hidden jump point location fairly quickly. 

I guess it all remains to be seen how this will/should shake out. It might make a lot of sense for Imperium to 'take' space or to concentrate in a particular region...or it might not. Other games divide players into factions from the start-in Star Citizen it seems like we'll all just be players with no artificial barriers forced upon us (except for territorial boundaries with the Aliens who don't sound terribly accepting of widespread human penetration into their space. Proof? We know nothing really of Xi'an or Vanduul or Banu space. Nothing of the Kr'thak space. Why? Because they haven't let us in yet.) Having no UEE internal borders would allow us to just spread out over all of known UEE space if we desired-and there will certainly be IMP players doing just that. Concentrating certain sections of our player base (Ops, Military types) probably does make sense.

We also don't really know how intra-organization fighting will be condoned by the UEE. Will they let us declare 'war' EVE style? All willy-nilly? Or will player infighting be frowned upon and punished with reputation hits? If there is sanctioned fighting, then I guess attempting space control over a system does make some sense because we could monopolize parts of the economy.

TL:DR we need more data CIG!

None of that refutes my idea, though. I said spearhead into the unknown, not Exodus into the darkness. The UNIT would be heading out into the Black, reporting what they find and surveying places that might be more favourable to long-term habitation. The rest of Imperium would be doing Imperium things, though I fully support the notion of marking out some space and staking our claim, as spreading out just lessens our potential impact in the world. 

The rest of that, wars, aliens, etc, is speculative and only applies in the vaguest terms.

Also, we wouldn't NEED to remain hidden, but I agree that we should probably have a kind of resource stockpile until we're established in the new region, THEN send out the goods.

21 minutes ago, FoxChard said:

I'm not sure this idea makes sense, as in, there is no null space so to speak.

This is something we've discussed before. As it stands, CIG isn't setting dynamics for the game to allow for the scale of system-wide control that would make the approach work. Null-space doesn't exist in the terms of other games, and pretty much every system is owned by a NPC faction. If there's a new system found, it would be pretty much impossible for one group of people to take control of that entire system and be able to patrol it and govern it properly, especially given the entire planet-side dynamics they are instituting. As you said, though, FoxChard, we need more info from CIG. That said, CIG's said enough about this kind of system to let us know that the way things happen in other games isn't the way things will happen in SC.

Oh. Then what's the point of exploration? If we already know it's impossible to take a place and all that, I mean.

Edit: I am talking scale-wise. What is an Endeavour for, with all its telescopes and sustainability modules, if A: It can't fit through jumppoints and B: You can't claim territory. 

I could see holding a station a year or more  after launch...once the game is understood completely. .but. if a planet or system was wanted .it would take 100% effort of all...to a fault....not just a few for all..  and it may not be worth the effert  just like the bangal.  Hunt will be a sink hole, money pit of epic proportions. 

16 minutes ago, Painmiester said:

I could see holding a station a year or more  after launch...once the game is understood completely. .but. if a planet or system was wanted .it would take 100% effort of all...to a fault....not just a few for all..  and it may not be worth the effert  just like the bangal.  Hunt will be a sink hole, money pit of epic proportions. 

I guess the verdict is that as far as my spearhead idea, we're gonna have to wait until closer to PU and pray to Christ Roberts that it won't be that much of a "sink" though that's a strange thing to hear from a 4K org

But why do we hold space? For what end? Holding stations, planets, systems, or Bengals sounds cool, but does it actually confer an advantage of some sort? 

Explorers should be exploring. The reason why is because they enjoy it. I would expect many do it because there will be a game purpose with a monetary reward. Only the lucky few will do something remarkable like finding a new system or planet. The rest of us will be looking for game features that have value which can then be converted into credits. Or perhaps you do it because you're looking for unique places all of your own. Besides, we have a bunch of systems that need real hardcore exploration (alien systems) which may set the players up for high risk, multi-day missions as they work to do all of the exploration tasks (if you're going to thoroughly map out Banu space, you'll need people to scan for jump points, people to map those points, people to map the systems out (again, waiting for CIG to tell us how all of this works, if any of these concepts are in the game), plus people to keep the primary explorers going (fuel, repairs, resupply).

I don't know, the sky is the limit with exploration. I really wonder how the various explorations ships will break down as to capabilities. We know, I guess, most about the Terrapin because it appears to be mostly a suite of high powered active sensors. It probably isn't the best for long distance or civilian exploration (my own guess).

Why? To HAVE it, obviously! To be able to point in the night sky and go, "Y'see that? That is my home. Me and my mates found it and it was an untamed scrap of rock full-o-jungle and nasty biting beasties. Inside'o the decade, we cut out a little haven for ourselves, set up some shops, and now it's the ultimate safari destination in Space!" (Or whatever you find the planet and system good for)

To boldly go. To find things noone else has seen. To get our name in lights, on charts and across systems! THAT is what Exploration is for!!

• 1 month later...
On 13/07/2017 at 1:42 AM, LoxNyctores said:

Why? To HAVE it, obviously! To be able to point in the night sky and go, "Y'see that? That is my home. Me and my mates found it and it was an untamed scrap of rock full-o-jungle and nasty biting beasties. Inside'o the decade, we cut out a little haven for ourselves, set up some shops, and now it's the ultimate safari destination in Space!" (Or whatever you find the planet and system good for)

To boldly go. To find things noone else has seen. To get our name in lights, on charts and across systems! THAT is what Exploration is for!!

Dire Strait's not-exactly-rosy take on the subject is dearly close to my heart:

TL;DR: Be careful what you wish for...

• 6 months later...
On 7/11/2017 at 7:02 PM, LoxNyctores said:

You've not heard about the Star Hawks or the True Hawks, eh?

On 7/13/2017 at 12:42 AM, LoxNyctores said:
Why? To HAVE it, obviously! To be able to point in the night sky and go, "Y'see that? That is my home. Me and my mates found it and it was an untamed scrap of rock full-o-jungle and nasty biting beasties. Inside'o the decade, we cut out a little haven for ourselves, set up some shops, and now it's the ultimate safari destination in Space!" (Or whatever you find the planet and system good for) To boldly go. To find things noone else has seen. To get our name in lights, on charts and across systems! THAT is what Exploration is for!!

I believe it is a good idea to have a look on Imperium's Wiki. Regarding the Mission and Unit system. 

http://wiki.starcitizenbase.com/doku.php?id=imperium:organization:units

http://wiki.starcitizenbase.com/doku.php?id=imperium:divisions:operations:start&s[]=mission#missions_and_the_portal