Peripherals for Star Citizen

EllisDee

I got myself an Asus TF300T. I was annoyed that I couldn't show my holiday fotos to my relatives, which was the main reason to get one. I'll see if i get a new one or something else by the time the game is released. I'll wait for the functions of this app, before buying anything.

Is anyone going to be getting a Tablet to take advantage of the app that will allow you to monitor missions in game ? And possibly other things. Most of you probably already have one, or maybe not, I've heard they have other uses ;)

i have a rooted nook color that i havent picked up on ~6 months that is looking for a reason to get charged :P

~S~

The joy sticks are developing faster then I can keep up with, I have used Microsoft, Thruster and Saitek for a few yrs now.. My pick is Saitek Have had the X45, X52pro and looking at the X 65 right now http://www.saitek.co.../prod/x65f.html This will be my next one I think..

As for the Views easy TrackIR reason as stated in some of the above postings... TrackIR clips to my headset. 2: Get to see what else I am doing as for keyboard controls, notes, or Coffee :P 3: with my headset on AND another piece of equipment (Rift) on my head no thanks..weight to start off, not being able to see the keyboard, notes and coffee.. 4: If I am flying with joy stick, the Leapmotion will just take the feel of flight away. So with Rift and Leapmotion... I can see me knocking over my coffee trying to switch torps and guns shorting out the keyboard . Nope i am trying to keep the Rift from falling off looking down at the controls and opps too fast lol hit the wrong ship heheh..

Busby the HMZ is far to expensive for me, there are others that will do the same thing that look like sunglasses... about 300 less. I used them once for testing. Wear them for 1/2hr of so not to bad.. but 1hr + and taking them off you need to wait for 10 mins or so to pick something up lol

Lastly the $ I have the TrackIR and X52 now.. Cannot see me spending more for something that I already have... But if I win a lotto you never know humm New flight deck Room..... Full wall screens with chair :P LOL

I would assume if you get out of your ship and FPS you would make a quick switch to the keyboard and mouse?

Yes, but I was reffering to the class 2 articulated guns (like the ones in freelancer).

CLASS 2: Articulated Gun. Think the guns in Freelancer or the smart weapons found in later Wing Commanders. Class 2 hardpoints are rarer and more expensive, but they allow guns to rotate on an arc rather than fire point blank

• 3 weeks later...

At the moment, I'm using, Thrustmaster Warthog, Saitek Rudder pedals, Track IR 5, I also have the Saitek proflight yoke and throttles as a back up. I can't think about flying without these, really add an extra dimension. I also have the Leapmotion on Pre order which I hope to get sometime this year. Now I think the bests setup with the technology on offer today, would be a good Hotas, Pedals, Occus Rift and Leap motion. That way you have direct control of your craft, but would be able to use gestures to move your hands in game to interact with the craft. All while having a virtual reality View. That would be fantastic immersion. My only concern currently with the rift, is how can you see and interact with the keyboard as there will I'm sure be keys on there you will need to press, if you have to lift the rift off to use it, that would destroy any illusion of reality. Hence the idea of combining it with the Leapmotion, that way IF the sim recognises where you hands are you should be able to interact with the controls in game, and keep the illusion of being there. It's gonna be quite an exciting trip, that's for sure. Cowboy10uk

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but hopefully dogfighting module is coming out soon so might be relevant again.

I'd like to post my ideal peripherals setup for Star Citizen.

Oclus DK2 with usb webcam (for video pass through) or http://www.trueplayergear.com/

HD projector  

Logitech G940 (hopefully we'll see a better FF hotas joystick coming out soon)

The tricky part: 6dof simulator :)

I've seen lots of DIY cheap 2dof simulators and while I think they are great, I think for proper VR immersion you need 6dof.

I am not aware of any affordable, off the shelf  solutions (that cost less than tens of thousands of $ ),

however I've recently found an interesting DIY project on xsimulator.net site.

Using cheap 50w wiper motors (x6) for 6dof simultor!

(probably less than 1000$ in parts)

http://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/prototype-6dof.5045/

I think these motors would work better (faster and more powerful)

http://www.motiondynamics.com.au/worm-drive-motor-12v-24v-200w-180-rpm-20nm-torque.html

What do you think?  

It can probably also work as baby rocking chair :)

Leapmotion looks bad ass, never seen it before.

My friend works for apple and he got in on the kickstarter for leapmotion.   He showed me the prototype a year or two ago.  Pretty interesting stuff!