Peripherals for Star Citizen

EllisDee

If Star Citizen was released today, I'd buy the Saitek Pro Flight X-65F Combat Control System, without hesitation.

However, it's two years away -- probably a year or more until the Alpha.

So I'm not going to invest in an expensive flight stick system until I can actually play Star Citizen. I presume that by then, there will probably be a new high-end flight control system available, so I'll get that.

The OP linked the Leapfrog, which is a cool device that's supposed to simulate a touchscreen (but better) for any monitor. I predict that with Windows 8, soon all PC monitors will become touchscreens. It would awesome to have multiple monitors, at least one a touchscreen, to emulate the HUDs seen in the trailer. I can imagine flying my Constellation with my flight stick, and aiming and firing the turret using the touchscreen! (Although it would probably be better to have two friends manning the turrets instead, so I can focus on flying.)

I noticed nobody has mentioned the Thrustmaster T. Flight HOTAS X yet. While there's better joysticks out there it's pretty much the top of it's class for it's price point. You can get it for around $50 but it's the best flight stick you're going to find for under $100.

I noticed nobody has mentioned the Thrustmaster T. Flight HOTAS X yet. While there's better joysticks out there it's pretty much the top of it's class for it's price point. You can get it for around $50 but it's the best flight stick you're going to find for under $100.

I don't mean to bash the Thrustmaster HOTAS, but it's always been my experience with peripherals that you get what you pay for.

When I was a teenager and couldn't afford the best peripherals, I often had problems -- I was either disappointed with what I bought, or they eventually broke and had to be replaced. Then, when I graduated from university and could afford better computers and gear, my gaming experiences were much improved.

That's why'd I recommend to anyone interested in flight sims or space shooters to spend the extra money and get a good quality flight stick and throttle combo for $150. I'm certain you'll appreciate what you get more.

I don't mean to bash the Thrustmaster HOTAS, but it's always been my experience with peripherals that you get what you pay for.

When I was a teenager and couldn't afford the best peripherals, I often had problems -- I was either disappointed with what I bought, or they eventually broke and had to be replaced. Then, when I graduated from university and could afford better computers and gear, my gaming experiences were much improved.

That's why'd I recommend to anyone interested in flight sims or space shooters to spend the extra money and get a good quality flight stick and throttle combo for $150. I'm certain you'll appreciate what you get more.

Oh I certainly agree with you. I only mention the T. Flight HOTAS X because it's actually not a bad quality stick. It works quite well. There's plenty of sticks out there that cost more than it that are not as good as it. Thrustmaster knew that not everybody will be willing to pay $150+ for a flight stick so they decided to release a good stick for under $100. Sure it may not be quite as awesome as those much more expensive sticks but it's still a good flight stick, especially if it's going to be your first flight stick.

I've got the thrust master warthog and a set of CH pro pedals. Just trying to work out the best way of mounting them. The joylocs look great but a bit too expensive shipped to Australia. Got a set of MFDs and some 8" LCDs on order to do

with for some DCS goodness too.

I'm also looking for a new joystick. +Hopefully the Oculus Rift & Leap next year. Only problem is, the Hotas X and X52 costs approx. $100 more than the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro in my country(and we don't have Amazon or Newegg and stuff), just wondering if that $100 is really worth the extra features? Also do take into consideration that the game launches in 2 years and who knows, a joystick might not last that long and there might be a new joystick then. If you were me, would you get the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro first then upgrade to the Hotas X/X52 when SC releases or just get the X52/Hotas X right now(is that extra $100 really that different/crucial?)? Thanks. ;)

We're all still riding the high of Star Citizen's record breaking crowd funding campaign, and acting like the game is only a few weeks away from release, so we need to prepare.

Don't get ahead yourself!

Star Citizen is two years from its estmated release date, and it's probably at least a year away from Alpha.

Unless you already own other flight sims or space shooters, you don't need a flight stick or HOTAS system yet. In a year, newer flight sticks might be released, and the existing ones might drop in price. Why pay $400 for a Saitek X52 or Thrustmaster HOTAS X when you could pay $300 or LESS?

It's fine to discuss the best flight sticks currently available, but agonizing over their price when you don't even need it right now is pointless.

Well I have the TrackIR 5 and I am super happy with it. The Oculus Rift looks very cool but I still would like to "see" my controls. And my coffee cup of course ;)

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. All those damn buttons on the Saitek X52, how will I see which one I'm pressing?

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, I know I come late to this thread, but you all just made my day with some of those peripheral links. they all look delicious, and my wife is going to hate me.

That said, I have a lot of friends looking to get some experience with flight sims for the first time looking for a good guide to available joysticks. As they don't have a ton of money, my links omit the highest end products, but I thought you all might find some of these useful:

Quick links, roughly sorted by increasing price

Budget option for the gamer with a 360: Gamepad adapter

Inexpensive logitech 10 button. Tiny throttle+3 axis stick, this will get you where you're going.

Slightly nicer throttle with the 12 button Thrustmaster. Still very basic, if you want to have realistic throttle control look elsewhere, but it'll do in a pinch. 3 axis stick.

The amazingly cheap intro Thrustmaster Hotas This thing is gonna feel plasticky, but it's well reviewed, has a full throttle, 3 axis stick, 5 total axes, and 12 buttons. If I was trying to get started on the cheap this is what I'd buy today.

The rugged, respected CH Products line is known for high build quality. I love my stick, and like me you find your wrists tiring after long dogfighting sessions, you may want a 2 axis stick and rudder setup, and CH is then the clear way to go. The basic model gets major points for the quality for the price, and for being ambidextrous, but only has 4 buttons and an 8 way hat. The pro version has 10 buttons including a 4 way hat, plus the basic 8 way hat and feels rugged, sturdy and reliable. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to build a full rudder/stick/throttle setup.

The CH products throttle is sold separately, but is a beautiful piece that combined with their basic flightstick costs about as much as the saitek pro, with arguably better build quality, if not quite the same sense of style. This throttle has an amazing amount of hats and 3 grip buttons, wonderful for customizing the perfect flight layout. I will be buying one within the coming month.

I should note that as CH products sticks do not have a 3rd, twist axis, you'll either want to configure the throttle to give you roll control, or consider investing in some nice pedals from one of these links For any pilot they'll add to the sense of immersion, so check them out if you have the spare $$$.

The ever popular Saitek 52 series. These things have crap tons of buttons and toggles, a built in display, full 3 axis stick (adjustable) and I believe 5 axis rudder. They certainly have style, but some have said the CH products models are more durable. That said, if you're planning on getting stick and throttle the pro version is supposed to be a significant quality improvement, and is a bit cheaper than the CH stick and throttle, and the CH stick lacks a 3rd Axis, so you would need to consider pedals as well. If you want to spend under $100 dollars but get a decent quality 3 axis stick + throttle, the normal version would be my best suggestion.

My planned peripherals: -Saitek x52 pro -Custom-made cockpit with 2 MFDs, embedded throttles and switches, and surround sound -Specially-designed helmet with built-in IR LEDs for Free-Track (open source, free alternative you can setup with a webcam) I work in shop with 3d printers, CAD software, and a connected machine shop, so I'll have access to all the tools in the world. Yes, this next year is going to be very busy for me--lots of stuff to buy and build.

On the Oculus: I would like to like it, but the fact is that as a gamer I have a ton of distractions that I need to see (eg, 2 foot tall clones of myself running around), and I'd like to be able to share my gaming experience with others by letting them watch me play. Oculus isn't really friendly to either objective, from what I've seen. And I'm skeptical about playing a game with lots of controls while wearing something that cuts off peripheral vision. For leap, I have no intention of rearranging my flight peripherals' setup to match every ship I might fly. And if I don't do that, won't weird things happen, like my in-game avatar holding himself instead of the in-game joystick because I place mine between the knees and the in-game one has it on the side? Plus, the scuttlebutt I've heard is that both systems may very well still be in development when Star Citizen comes out--I believe both of the dev kits are delayed right now.

Have none, won't get one. My smartphone has a smaller display but will perform well. I currently have no money to buy a tablet and I probably won't have the money in the near future :D Somehow I have no reason to buy one, even if I would have the money. What I likely would buy, is an ultrabook with touchscreen. It has more use to me, than a pure tablet