joystick

zerkerz

Well... Sandi said they were talking with Saitek, but that we (as a community) needed to say if we were interested in it, and our thoughts on Saitek. Personally as long as it's metal switches and sensors I'd love it. My experiences with the x52's (not pro) say that plastic switches and sensors only last about a year without issues.

Any newly produced stick will have Hall effect sensors, it's very cheap to make them for the performace. No sane company would develop a normal consumergrade joy without them.

Am secretly hoping that CIG will work with Thrustmaster to develop a throttle quadrant that can be used with the Warthog stick.

It could be as simple as a second, left handed stick which should not cost a whole lot in tooling costs, and allow TM to offer a new product for lefties.

It'd be difficult to control ship systems with a stick only, it'd be far better having a buttonbox with a throttle for ship controls. Having some good pots, switches, buttons will be far more useful I believe.

Since 1996 I had many types os joysticks, most of them were simple (like my last Saitek Aviator - 2009) but when I've started playing the DCS (Digital Combat Simualtor) series I knew that I needed something better. Many of my simmer friends had the X-52 PRO and they always told me good things about it, so I bought one. I'm almost 2 years with it without regrets ! Made of plastic but pretty good joystick, responsive and functional. Before buying it, the X-65F was an option for me, so I went to a friend house to test it. Didn't like at all, specially because it' doesn't move, and it have less programmable buttons than the X-52 PRO. But the X-65F have one thing that beats (hard) the X-52 models: Dual throttle. That makes a very big difference when flying modern fighters (or even civilian planes) with 2 engines. Now I'm thinking about getting a Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog because man, that is THE joystick for those who want to sim in the military way. I've tested it and for me it's almost perfect ! So, if you can do like me: test them all ! It's the better way to find which joystick fits better for you. BB

Modern jets has the same function as the X65-F when it comes to no movement.

Since i haven't played a flightsim in ages, what is the actual benefit of dual throttle? Do pilots in, say, a Warthog actually use their individual control of the 2 engines to gain an advantage of some sort?

I've been googling a bit and can't find mention of any specific maneuver that requires someone to reduce throttle on one engine, so i don't really see why anyone would mention a dual throttle as a plus or being better for...anything really.

Other than that it might be more realistic in case of real world flight sims, you still wouldn't be able to adjust all four thusters on a Constellation individually, maybe that would mean your setup isn't complete without one of these:

Posted Image

I plan on getting the X-52 Pro myself, and even if the stick of the X-65F did move i still wouldn't see the benefit of the dual throttle.......

For the guy who is wondering about the benefit of two throttle controls. Playing realistic flight simulators such as a-10 , fsx, or x plane and etc, greatly benefits from dual throttle in emergency situations. In RL each engine will always have ita own variable controller for a flame out, fire, and other situations where a single engine may have to be removed from the equation. This situations normally creates asymmetrical thrust so either a slight bank and application of rudder is usually given. Other than emergencies, In normal flight procedures all throttle quadrants act as one so the benefit of having multiple is close to zero.

Since i haven't played a flightsim in ages, what is the actual benefit of dual throttle? Do pilots in, say, a Warthog actually use their individual control of the 2 engines to gain an advantage of some sort?

I've been googling a bit and can't find mention of any specific maneuver that requires someone to reduce throttle on one engine, so i don't really see why anyone would mention a dual throttle as a plus or being better for...anything really.

Other than that it might be more realistic in case of real world flight sims, you still wouldn't be able to adjust all four thusters on a Constellation individually, maybe that would mean your setup isn't complete without one of these:

Posted Image

I plan on getting the X-52 Pro myself, and even if the stick of the X-65F did move i still wouldn't see the benefit of the dual throttle.......

That'd be perfect for energy/shield management

I'm hoping they come out with a Star Citizen specific one, that'd be awesome. :) That having been said, as much as I want realism and immersion, I have limited desk space and live in a box of a flat, so I'll probably have to settle for less. I loved the X45, didn't mine the X52, haven't done much with the others.

If this will be a PC game as stated before, and will acept that people create mods for the game, i see no reasons to be worrie about wich joystick will be good for the game. I'm sure of that all the good ones that we already have on the market will work just fine.

Although i wouldnt be surprise if they make a special editon for the SC.

I recently bought for my self Thrustmaster Flight Hotas X, wich its not the top, nor the bottom. I hear some good reviews and for the prices, is great for my needs.

(http://www.thrustmaster.com/pt-br/products/tflight-hotas-x )

For what i saw so far from CIG they are very concern about fidelity about the details of everything in this game, so i am sure that, if the ships has the stick and the throttle, as you can see inside of the cockipt of a Hornet for exemple. I belive they will use this kind of controllers like they use in their ships. 

Ok so I've been thinking about getting a joystick (likely the cyborg F.L.Y 5 flight stick) and it got me thinking about how everyone will be getting themselves immersed in the game, and what hardware they will use to do so. I hear that star citizen might be getting it's own joystick but I don't know too much about it. So essentially I wanna know what everybody here has tech wise. Also sorry if this is the wrong place to be posting but it made the most sense for me to post it here.

Ok so I've been thinking about getting a joystick (likely the cyborg F.L.Y 5 flight stick) and it got me thinking about how everyone will be getting themselves immersed in the game, and what hardware they will use to do so. I hear that star citizen might be getting it's own joystick but I don't know too much about it. So essentially I wanna know what everybody here has tech wise. Also sorry if this is the wrong place to be posting but it made the most sense for me to post it here.

I'd been thinking about that, too, and I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Saitek X52 Flight Control System

It's been a long, long time since I've played a flight sim on a PC, but I always preferred using a joystick, so there you have it! I'll find out during the alpha whether or not it was a good idea. 

@ I was looking at the x52 but it's a bit too pricy for me, although I've heard a lot of great things about it. And @ellipse I don't know too much about the oculus rift but I know it would help with immersion for sure. And thanks for the links ryofar :)

I did not think about getting a joystick until I saw all this talk amongst the Star Citizens about them. I will get one, but not until some time in the future, along with a video card upgrade. I am looking out for everyone's recommendations though. There seems to be so many things to factor into your considerations before purchasing one and I want to get a good one. Something like the X52 should last me a long time, right?

In the MMO combat sim Aces High, P-38 drivers that use a dual throttle can do disgusting maneuvers by manipulating the torque and thrust generated by the props individually. The P-38 is one of the few WW2-era aircraft that actually had counter-rotating props to counter each other's torque. Of course, if the two engines aren't running at the same speed, there is torque, and that can be used for you, not against you, if you know how. Jet (or rocket) engines are mostly (or entirely) torqueless, but just being able to do differential thrust has advantages in maneuverability as well.