RSI Galaxy

GRIZZ

Although the powerpoint has been leaked for a couple weeks, the RSI Galaxy was officially announced last Thursday and the concept and its modules were sold yesterday on RSI day of the IAE.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/18836-RSI-Galaxy

Sold as a "Multi-Role Vessel with true modularity", "A very industrial feel with less focus on combat", "RSI Sub-Capital"

Concept sale non-warbond pricing:

Standalone Ship: $380

-Cargo Module $70

-Refinery Module $80

-Medical Module (different tiered med beds) $90

Ship and all modules: $570

Q&A: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/rsi-galaxy-q-amp-a-1

9buh53x9wy1a1.webp

9lsyo0x9wy1a1.webp

akdk04x9wy1a1.webp

qii4w5x9wy1a1.webp

uqceufw9wy1a1.webp

I definitely like the shape of the ship as well as the location of the bridge (really digging that Star Wars vibe). Wasn't too enthusiastic about the price of the ship and more notably the modules though. The modules are more expensive than the ones for the Endeavor yet the Galaxy modules appear to offer much less.

• $380 Galaxy Base + $90 Medical module = $470
  • $350 Endeavor + $75 Hangar + $75 Hospital = $500

So for only $30 more you instead get a much larger and better equipped Medical Frigate with multiple levels and dozens of medical beds. Both ship's modules also have the same 120 months IAE insurance atm. So with the Galaxy you're effectively spending more for less as the Galaxy is more a Corvette sized ship.

Also a bit weird why the individual modules don't have a Warbond option with LTI; as modules in the past were always offered as both cash+LTI or credit+regular insurance. I guess this is a new marketing tactic from CIG to get people to buy the combo-pack? 

Lastly the XS hangar was an error and Zyloh stated that it actually has only an XXS hangar (so only mini ships like Pisces/MPUV). For some reason it only has a single S3 shield and zero anti-fighter turrets for defense; just 3 anti-ship turrets with 2xS5 guns and a massive blindspot in the rear. A pretty peculiar setup as it can't defend itself against fighters and also doesn't have the shielding to stand up to larger ships. 😕

Now I did get a cheap $5 Valkyrie-to-Galaxy Base CCU with Store Credit and got me the Cargo module for Store Credit too (no use buying it with cash as you get the same 120 months insurance regardless) but if this ship doesn't improve I don't really see any use for owning one. For cargo I'd rather use my C2 Hercules and for Medical I'd rather use an Endeavor HOPE or Apollo. Refinery would likely be better with an Expanse as you don't have the massive overhead costs and can just run it solo with some friends in Prospectors or a Mole.

Here's hoping for more interesting Galaxy modules in the future (hopefully with LTI). ;) 

13 hours ago, Danakar Endeel said:

Also a bit weird why the individual modules don't have a Warbond option with LTI; as modules in the past were always offered as both cash+LTI or credit+regular insurance. I guess this is a new marketing tactic from CIG to get people to buy the combo-pack? 

Yep, this is shitty.

13 hours ago, Danakar Endeel said:

just 3 anti-ship turrets with 2xS5 guns and a massive blindspot in the rear. A pretty peculiar setup as it can't defend itself against fighters and also doesn't have the shielding to stand up to larger ships. 😕

This makes me think the original design was to be a modular combat ship, not a Civvie ship, but someone at CIG was like "You know the Endeavor's not gonna be out for awhile... let's make this ship the Endeavor lite".

I had some CCU's laying around, so I got creative with a free referral ship and now I have a $165 RSI Galaxy (LTI) in the hangar.  I understand the modules only have the 10 year insurance but I vaguely remember CR stating that the modules on the ship, take the ship insurance?!  I could be mistaken, but at this point in time I can wait and see how things evolve with the Galaxy and future modules.  A total package of $405 for the Galaxy (LTI) and all three modules isn't horrible.  If all else fails, it could be a nice jump to another concept ship release in the future.

MB

2 hours ago, Dedalos said:

I got the Galaxy, because is a nice base of op, however, when the Polaris comes out will you keep your Galaxy?

Dunno, I will have to wait and see.  I really think that CIG does a great job going from Concept drawing to actual in-game ship, but there have been a few duds.  I have been waiting since September 2012, so what are a few more years?

MB

As soon as I I saw it, the refinery module I was sold...

3 galaxy base 350= 1150.00

3 refinary  modules  80.00 x 3= 240.00

1 cargo 70.00

1 med center 90.00 

200 .00. 1 yr subscripton

Red Armor suits120.00

1870.00 ish. Done  till next year.