Quantum drive

Kahldris

Hi guys so im a new player with a background in elite dangerous. I'm liking star citizen even if it really is a bit of a mess lol (certainly has some stuff I wish elite had). Anyway to make a long story short I'm really struggling with one aspect, the quantum drive.

In Elite I have 2 hot keys for my frameshift drive one for targeted (most of the time to jump but not always) and another button for non target and I can just fly around planets or wherever I want to go with friendship drive engaged.

My question, is there any plans to change how quantum drive works? At least make it so you don't have to be locked to a target to engage it? As of right now it's really killing it for me for the whole trying to fly around space thing. It has also made some annoying issues where somewhere I wanted to go wouldn't lock in and fly me around the planet (guessing it was bugged) so I had to lock on to something else and blah blah I'm sure you get the picture. It's annoying as hell!

Earlier in development we were able to jump into any direction without locking on but CIG changed that a years ago. This was even before we could jump to places on planetary surfaces.
I'm not sure this will change in the future, it's likely it wont so it doesn't make it too easy for any interdicted target to get away.

9 hours ago, Kahldris said:

My question, is there any plans to change how quantum drive works? At least make it so you don't have to be locked to a target to engage it? As of right now it's really killing it for me for the whole trying to fly around space thing. It has also made some annoying issues where somewhere I wanted to go wouldn't lock in and fly me around the planet (guessing it was bugged) so I had to lock on to something else and blah blah I'm sure you get the picture. It's annoying as hell!

Currently there's Quantum drive and standard only. There are a number of things that can block you from being able to lock a target, which is why F2+ clicking on your destination on the star map will generally plot which points you need to jump to in order to get to your destination. In a way this makes a lot of sense because the "logic" would be that you would need a computer to potentially compute a pathway around potential collide-able objects and just jumping at super speeds around in any direction would likely lead to some splatting on things like asteroids or debris.

You can cut the Quantum Drive at any point mid jump by holding down the B key or tapping the U key to power off the ship completely. You also can use the scroll wheel to maximize the speed of your standard propulsion drive. For most ships that goes up to around 1000 m/s out of atmosphere. 

As there are more systems put into the game, I'm not sure if CIG will revisit the idea of "jump any direction". It's possible, but for the moment it's not in the game.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By GRIZZ
      I like how the components seem to have a green/red meter on all of them.  I wonder what that means for items like shield generators?  Is it a health bar?

Also, Components with sub components?  Whaaaaa!?   Photo 8 shows a jump drive hooking onto a quantum drive.  
      You can read more about sub-components on the Ship Repair & Maintenance document under "Subcomponents" and "Module Racks"
      MODULE RACKS

Module Racks are panels that house the various components used to keep their associative subcomponents running. These can be found on the hull under maintenance hatches in closed-cockpit ships, or internally in the engineering section of larger multi-crew ships.
      Depending on the component installed, different types and numbers of subcomponents are required. Each subcomponent is built for quick removal and replacement allowing for field repairs to be carried out as quickly as possible. If a player attempts to remove a subcomponent from a powered component they risk being electrocuted and receiving damage.

Replacing a damaged subcomponent is a simple case of interacting with the item in question. The player will then remove it, freeing up the slot. If the player has a replacement in their possession, they can then interact with the empty slot to place it.
      Subcomponent types are universal across ships and components of the same size class, a coolant rod from a Gladius’ laser cannon can replace a Hornet’s coolant rod housed in the shield generator. This provides a great deal of flexibility, allowing players to juggle elements between various systems as needed, as well as opening up opportunities to patch their ship using scavenged parts.

Components on larger ships, such as the Idris or Retaliator can require a large number of subcomponents to function and/or larger sizes of subcomponents. When damaged, these more complicated systems can take significantly longer to diagnose and physically swap out any compromised subcomponents. To maintain full operation, these ships can contain alternative backup systems. In the case of an emergency, engineers can use their ship terminal to redirect power to the backup, allowing for full ship functionality whilst the engineer repairs the primary system. This can also be achieved manually, should an engineering terminal become inoperable, by physically swapping the whole module rack out, placing the backup system in the primary’s slot.
    • By danredda
      According to this thread on reddit
      there's also some other information in there regarding moon size etc. Looks like some interesting game mechanics regarding QD dropout are in hte works

EDIT: @Gallitin can we PLEASE disable the auto-feature on mod edit being default. If I edit my own posts it features them....