Ongoing Discussion GPUs you will be using for star citizen

Rand_Mckikas

I will upgrade my pc when the game is really released...

Same here.  Im currently using a 660Ti (OC)  with a 650 for Physix ( I wouldnt recommend the extra 650.  It seemed like a good idea at the time)

In two years I expect to be using something more like an 880 Ti.

Edited by Hootmon

Currently I'm using a GTX 560 Ti. At the moment the hanger is a bit laggy for me (on all graphics settings). I don't know if this is optimization issues or to do with ym RAM/ CPU/ GPU.  But I am aiming to get a brand new gaming rig sometime this year or soon after.

560 Ti 'should' be OK. for right now.  Post the rest of you specs if you want a better analysis.

OK.

CPU -  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz ~ 5 years old

GPU - 560 Ti ~ 1 year old

RAM - 8GB ~ 5 years old

Motherboard  - Gigabyte ~ 5 years old

HDD - 2TB NTFS

I'm using an even older video card: GTX460! Weakest part of my setup right now, but its a holdover from the prior PC build. It actually runs the Hangar module on 1366x768, medium setting fairly well.

CPU is a new Ivy i5. 

Really tempted to upgrade to an R9 290, if not for SC then for other games that will be released soon!

I have a GTX 580. If i run Hangar on max settings, the framerate isn't playable anymore. Problem is, if I Get a better GPU, I'll have to replace my motherboard too for PCIe 3.0. I wonder if I should also upgrade my CPU. I have i5 2500 3.30Ghz.

Imo its best to do what I'm going to... I'll just hang on to what I have and then do a large system upgrade on release

I have a GTX 580. If i run Hangar on max settings, the framerate isn't playable anymore. Problem is, if I Get a better GPU, I'll have to replace my motherboard too for PCIe 3.0. I wonder if I should also upgrade my CPU. I have i5 2500 3.30Ghz.

If you can afford it, I'd say go for it. Usually a 3rd gen i5 processor is plenty for most games. The i5 3570k comes to mind right away. An unlocked processor, so you can overclock it (you pay like 10-20 bucks less for the regular, non-overclockable version), does fine for most games, with a good GPU, it can handle pretty much all games maxed out at 60 fps (think BF4 etc).

You could check out the new 4th gen CPUs, but those aren't as big of an improvement performance wise as you might expect, they are a lot more power efficient though, lower electrical bills ftw.

Of course, most power during gaming comes from the GPU, and the more you pay for it now, the less it will cost in the long run.

Say you get a 'cheap' one for 150-200 euros (I'm thinking GTX650 here) and it lasts for 1-2 years before most games are too much to handle for the needed FPS/graphical settings. You can buy another one 1-2 years later and it runs into the same problems as the one before. Who knows, maybe the prices have gone up since then, and you have to pay 200-250 for a good GPU that suits your needs. That brings the total cost over 4 years to somewhere in between 350-550 euros.

Or you could get an expensive one for 300-400 euros (My AMD 7970 cost me 350 euros and was top tier at that time), and it'll last 4-5 years. That brings the total cost to 300-400, which is quite a bit less than the 'cheaper' model GPUs.

Again, it's all up to you. But I recommend investing in an expensive GPU.

Disclaimer: GPU/CPU technology changes rapidly and it might be completely different in 6 months if Intel releases a new processor line, or if Nvidia releases a new GPU line (which might happen in the near future).

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. BIOS: BIOS Date: 08/22/12 20:32:54 Ver: 04.06.05

Processor: Intel® Core i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.1GHz (Overclocks Automatically as system requires.) Memory: 32768MB RAM Available OS Memory: 32728MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 11  

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 Dedicated Memory: 4027 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz) Monitor Name: ViewSonic VX2450 Series

Using Logitech G20 Game Mouse, Mionix Ensis 320 Steel Brushed Metalic Mouse Pad, and a Ttesports Challenger Gaming Keyboard with attachable hand fan (for those sweaty palm Pwnge moments)

:D

Running a single GTX 770 GIgabyte Windforce OC 4gb @ 1293/7604 Mhz.

I think the extra bit of RAM will help in this game. When maxing texture and viewdistance in ARMA3 at only 1080p I've been hitting 3.2GB+ in ram usage. Some is prob caching but still always good to have enough of V-ram.

Lot's of textures to render, lots of vram (usually). Might buy another and run SLI later in the future.

I think everybody should just be happy, for the next year, with what they currently have - unless a component REALLY IS needing replacement. The tech will change between now and PU launch AND CR may keep the minimum game requirements where they are to encourage new players to play with what they have when it DOES launch. CIG is unlikely to want to alienate them. CIG DOES want to keep players with higher end systems by having the game capable of wicked performance and display capabilities. People think they need to have gnarly systems and CIG and even CR has said one is not necessary to enjoy the game.

Irrespective, start putting away your weekly coffee money so you can build that uber system next year.

I just finished upgrading the system I'll run for the next two years - FX-8350 on liquid cooling, GTX 760 ti 4GB (permits multiple monitors) on aftermarket cooling, RAM that works well with my system (I can put a Zalman RAM cooler on it) AND I can overclock everything I have installed. I set my GPU to max at 60Hz because it is actually good enough for my monitors WHICH can only refresh at 60Hz. i.e. If you have a monitor that can only refresh as high as 60Hz, your brain is not going to see 120Hz no matter what you set your GPU to do.

Your eyes can physiologically transmit data that quickly and your eyes/brain working together can interpret up to 1000 frames per second. You are limited by what you are viewing, however, and again, if you do not have a 120 or 140Hz (or higher refresh capable) monitor, you needn't worry about being limited to 60Hz. You will have to spend much money to achieve that level.  (15, 30, 60 fps comparison) and another article about the matter

Minimum system requirements for the Hangar Module at the end of last year (I suspect easily 60% of us have better than this):

Windows 7 or 8 64-bit Dual Core CPU Intel: Core2 Duo 2.4Ghz or AMD: Phenom X2

8GB of RAM

NVidia Geforce 460GTX or AMD Radeon HD5850 DirectX 11

If you have a minimum quad-core 3.0 GHz CPU that you can overclock - you should be okay for some time PROVIDED you have one (or two if SLI/Crossfire or dual GPU card) GTX560 (or higher) or AMD 7XXX video card  (or higher) that you can also overclock you should be easily able to get into the middle of Beta

Remember, if you SLI/Crossfire 2 1GB cards, you do not get 2GB of VRAM. If you SLI/Crossfire 2 Cards that are not the same clock/model, your system performs at the capability of your weakest card.

Frame Rating, something for a future post

Mantle is a funny thing, find some recent articles about it and what it actually affects.

Before you upgrade, benchmark your system to see where the bottlenecks are. (passmark is a good start)

I have an FX-4100 3.6GHz CPU I am willing to let go for cheep  (like for postage and a nice thank you) if anybody needs/wants. I've OC'd it to 4.1GHz with no performance or heating issues. It will come with a stock FX-8350 cooler. You supply the thermal paste. (I got the 8350 as a gift, hence the upgrade)

One last thing, having enough air moving through your system is a good thing.

Edited by Gremlich