3.15 Starting location

LowZone

A similar question was asked a few years ago about where Imperium should base its operations in the wider PU; with the upcoming changes in 3.15 (physicalised Inventory and hospital respawn points specifically) it might be a good time to revisit and get a consensus on which starting location Imperium members should choose when starting 3.15, if only to avoid those of us with larger fleets having additional logistical challenges when preparing for future fleet events.

I would like to propose choosing Loreville as a good start point. It's relatively close to the current main areas of gameplay (especially the popular Aberdeen mining locale), we will have access to our ground vehicles, QT altitude isn't too high and frankly it seems to be the most stable of all the LZs.

Any thoughts?

Having spent the last two months playing in the PU, starting locations only matter for the minutes that it takes to go from the hab areas to the spaceport, and then the 10k climb out of atmosphere. Additionally, operating out of the planet habitats tends to be a bit problematic for people with lower end machines because the environments are harder to get through than being on stations. While I can recommend Lorville or Microtech as good start spots because of less performance hit than Orison or Arccorp, there are a variety of issues in all "spawn" locales and most people only go to the planets for the purposes of selling or shopping before returning to the black and to named/lagrange point stations. Also, given the fact that you can traverse the system in less than 10 minutes, it won't take much time for people to bounce around to wherever the action happens to be. 

Now, once we are in a multi-system situation, where we have Nyx and Pyro also as potential areas of operation, we might want to consider having IMP people agree on main areas of operating, but for now, the single system doesn't really necessitate that kind of coordination.

The thing is, as of 3.15 your starting location will have much more significance.  It will be where all your armour, guns, vehicles etc will be accessible from (no more magical bag of holding via the mobiglass). It will also where you respawn after death (no more respawning at your last port of call).

I just figured it would be good to have a common starting/respawn point for future events rather than requiring each participant to return to their "home base" to prepare beforehand?

We've always erred on the side of personal choice, and if CIG does what they did with Orison where - if you're not careful - they'll make you default spawn to Orison, it can be problematic. We also need to see how CIG will actually implement the inventory limitations in practice as opposed to their "planned" systems that haven't even made it the Evocati for testing. 

After watching the latest ISC where they've given more information on the localized inventory and such, I still don't see us trying to suggest that people have the same starting point, especially given how buggy the planets are. What we could potentially consider is a common place that we would have as a staging area for events, and then encourage members to stock things at those locations that would be beneficial for doing events. 

This definitely will make coordinating starting points for operations a lot more important, as well as spawn points at medical facilities in case of death.

I don't really think the starting location currently is a big deal when it drops in 3.15.
Eventually, when we have larger server capacity and proper org integration in the game, there might be a benefit for a specific location depending on what the Org will do at that time.
As for myself, until that time comes, I'll just pick one I personally like best.

I see a multitude of subject there : 
You can divide your possessions in two categories : 
1) Artifacts, to show off, they can be located in a remote, sanctuarized, location (hangar flair, trophies, your favorite outfit, ...)
2) Your assets (Ships, armor, weapons, supplies, cargo ... )

I think that your starting location will be your sanctuary, where you retire to rest between 2 working shifts

Regarding your assets I would break them down in 2 subcategories : 
2a) Having your assets near you (Ammunitition, workhorse ship, ...)
2b)Prepositionning assets for specific activities (preparing spare retaliators at Microtech for Xenothreat, prospectors at CRU-L1 for mining ... )

To keep your assets near your main area of operation, I would suggest to get a big ship and use it as a mobile storage unit : you land your C2 Hercules loaded with a hundred of thousand of ammo clips, food, water ... maybee a spare ship ... 

So that would only left the home location as a prepositionning point for all your spare ships. 
As of now, I think that all landing zones have specialties (Crusader for mining, Hurston for Bounty Hunting, Micro tech for Touring, and Arcorp to melt your GPU). 

So under this light, for 3.15, I would rather choose Hurston as I am more focused on Bounty Hunting at the moment. 

But in the long term, If i was given the choice to choose a location to setup my hangar, I would choose an High Sec area with a nice vista (like Microtech, or Arccorp) knowing that I will be able to invest in other real estate (aka colonial outpost) in our main area of operation :)

For now, I think starting off in the latest landing area on Orison (assuming your computer can handle all the effects that are going on there) or the space station above might be best.  It's in the middle of the Stanton system so your travel time to other locations around the system will hopefully be minimal.

Long term, this is one of the reasons I pledged for a Polaris so I could have a roaming home that I could hold all my stuff and a smaller ship or few with me. :D 

a3.15 is definitely not really something to concern yourself about; at least not regarding Imperium as a whole. We are still a ways away from having that discussion and first we would need at least a dozen or so systems before we can get a grasp on choosing a location where we would set up out main official headquarters as it were.

Ofcourse this could be on an existing planet with access to merchants and hangars and all the other good stuff; or it could be that several Imperium members would bring their Pioneers to a planet where one of our leaders sets up a 16x16km Land Claim and then starts to map out an actual base with an architect to create something really unique. Now I don't know the extent of what Pioneers can construct and if they can even work together in order to connect those structures. Personally I think it would be very cool to have our own personalized base of operations with landing pads (or preferably hangar bays with underground storage) and sleeping quarters and a large Wing Commander style room for briefings and maybe even having areas where NPC merchants would be able to sell armor, weapons, ship components and the like. I personally would love having our own base with large defense batteries on the corners and big walls with garages for military vehicles etc. etc. 

The possibilities for ideas are endless. We'll just have to wait and see what will actually BE possible. :P

But yeah, as to starting world I would still vote to be in an area under UEE control and not set ourselves up in a neutral free-for-all gankfest in the middle of nowhere. After all, we have to consider logistics and it's easy to get cut off from resources if a gang of pirates blocks off our main route. Hence why I would vote to remain in an area where there is a UEE Navy presence for support. That way we can offer extended support to the UEE and it's military. ;)

That's a thing for the future though. For a3.15 the main choice will be based on where our corpse will spawn should we die. Personally I was very fond of Orison but I was not fond of having to fly 100km up before I can quantum. Orison also seems to have an issue with stores and the lack of purchasing ship components. New Babbage on Microtech however has most of the A-grade stuff as well as a large selection of ship weapons available. For a lot of my ships it's a one-stop-shop to get a lot of my ships geared up. I believe the only thing I can't get from New Babbage are CIV-A Atlas, CIV-A Hemera, and CIV-A Erebos Quantum Drives (those are my favorites due to range versus fuel consumption). Those are only available at Port Olisar or some random reststop like CRU-L1 or so.

But yeah, I will likely choose New Babbage for a3.15 due to its ease of access to the multitude of stores for ship component and ship weapons. As I recall they also had a decent selection of personal firearms but for my actual ones I'll have to hunt around a little because Iike the "Midnight" range of the K&W energy weapons; most notably the Gallant Rifle "Midnight" edition which is sold at HUR-L5 I believe.

So New Babbage will likely be the place for me during a3.15. Once we finally get closer to actual launch of the game with a dozen systems is when I think our command should sit down and discuss the plans for an actual base of operations. I hope one of them bought a 16x16 Land Claim and that they will decide on a system that is still at the ende within UEE space with a proper logistical route to a hub so that we can easily buy and sell supplies as well as materials. After all, we'd also want a place for our miners, salvagers, traders, and we will need NPC mission givers too. So don't put me in a PvP Only system as you won't see me there often due to me getting bored if mindless combat 24/7 is all I can do Which reminds me that I should ask someone to change my tag from Combat to something else. :) 

On 9/18/2021 at 3:20 PM, danredda said:

I would love to pick New Babbage because it is my fav, but half the ships I have can't even jump out of there. So probs will have to be Lorville out of pure practicality right now.

Well, you will always have Port Tressler in synchronous orbit with New Babbage. So I don't think it will be much of an issue for any planetary location as they all have an orbital station where you can call up larger ships that need the docking collars. :)

Port-Tressler-Exterior-Alpha-3_12.thumb.png.c090687781c5665711c6d602dab852e2.png

• 3 weeks later...

All good ideas posted above. Remember, I started this thread to specifically look at possible initial starting locations for when 3.15 goes live (future versions' spawn mechanics are still very much unknown) but now that it's out of NDA and some people have had a chance to experience 3.15 and the new inventory system, I'd like to amend my initial proposal of Loreville as a starting point. I now prefer to use New Babbage as a starting place to store all concierge/subscriber gear and then claim the ships I need at Loreville/Everus Harbour and use that as a place to respawn and store items bought in game (if only to separate the items that I don't want to risk losing). Of course it does depend on what activity I plan on doing in any given play session, but as a centralised staging area for Stanton, Loreville is hard to beat at least in terms of vehicle availability. (MT is just too far away.)

I realise the new Inventory system is still quite new and is in a state of flux,  but for now, this set up seems to work for me.