Going to Chicago for an extended weekend! Any locals here that have recommendations on restaurants/ neighborhoods / or tips?

Edenstar

Visiting for rich Architecture and Culinary experience!  Architecture building wise, I got that covered.  Thought to ask any locals who are familiar with the city for tips and recommendations regarding places considered a must go/ must avoid (save the don't go to Chicago jokes). Neighborhoods that are great to walk around and get a feel of the city. Or Hidden Gems that tourists miss. Or advice on specific areas to avoid. (I do intend to sketch at some places!)  

Would be cool to go to a speak easy or unique bar/ restaurant experiences.  Especially places with both good food and interior/ architectural design/ vibe.  Would like to walk around beautiful/ interesting neighborhoods while avoiding the bad spots. Also, it seems some of the hottest spots requires reservations 1 month in advance. 

Neighborhood Hit List:  Downtown, Millennial Park, West Loop, River North, Magnificent Mile, and Hyde Park.  Tentatively Oak Park (Frank Lloyd Wright) Neighborhood but not considered a safe neighborhood - may get an architecture walking tour guide or skip it altogether.   Also tentative is the Northalsted /"Boystown" neighborhood since my friend and his partner is LGBTQ+ depending on the safety factor. 

Thank you in advance! 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Fizzlefuse
      Hi guys,
      The Noobifier put up this video on the 6th and I think it warrants some discussion.
      What are your ideas on traveltime across the verse and what would you do when you have "downtime" ?
      I couldn't find a topic about this, feel free to link to it/merge it if there is one.

I personally don't mind downtime while traveling. it gives a chance to plan things out, time for social interaction with the crew, maintenance on the ship and components., prepare for the next mission... that sort of thing. I imagine things like playing holo-chess like Chewie and the droids did.
    • By stealthguy
      Hey guys, Stealthguy here.

If anyone of you guys have discussed work with me on teamspeak, you'll know that I've been working on an iOS Travel application.

I've now started beta testing!

Let me explain the app really quick.
      So this app is a map based app and is meant for use in Japan, but can be used anywhere.
      In japan, we have articles for different things, like food, attractions, activities, and a few other things.
      These articles are displayed on the map, and upon tapping on the pin, you can get some information including the article itself.
      This map will also include free wifi locations in the near future.

The main feature of this app, however, is the ability to save parts of the map for offline use. These 'saves' will also include the articles for the area you selected.

Some features are currently not included because either they are not complete, or bugged. However, in the next week or two, these features will come online one by one.

So, if you guys have an iOS 8 phone, and wish to help me make a better app (thus more money to spend on SC teehee), then I'll be glad to send an invite.

If you are interested, let me know here or pm me.

I do have a request though. You can use the map anywhere if you want, but please test in Japan as well. This is because the app is meant for Japan, and all the articles are in Japan and are a key part of the app.

Thanks guys, hope to see some feedback!

- Stealthguy
    • By LightMonk
      I heard that navigation will be similar to Freelancer. Pick a Celestial Object/Nebula/Asteroid Field/Nav Point and your ship will be warped to it. I never played Freelancer, so here is my question: What time did one need to travel through one system? How long does one need to travel from one end of the Universemap to the other end?