Gaming joysticks that work best

DarkAngel

I am new and am working with mouse/keyboard setup. I want to upgrade to a joystick for better control but not sure where to start. I’ve been researching the Thrustmaster T-16000M duo and it seems like a great deal as it’s reviews seem solid and it’s and my budget. But I’ve seen that for this specific game it’s not as smooth in the center and leads to jerks and hard landings. I can modify it apparently but would like to avoid screwing the warranty.. I’ve seen warthog brand has great reviews but comparatively it’s not much better than Thrustmaster considering the extreme price jump. Should I go with the T-16000m duo or not waste my time with it? 

Never own the T-16000M, but played with people that do, they were all happy with it.

Nevertheless most have or are changing to VKB's tho to the feel and increased precision.

If you never had dualsticks you better off getting the T-16000M and see if you like to use dualstick, depending on how you treat them they'll last 2 to 4 years without any major problems (according to my mates) .

I think a dual stick setup is going to be better than stick & throttle for Star Citizen.

I've never tried dual sticks, but the game is definitely being optimized for it and most reviewers like the setup after a bit of practice.

One of these days I'm going to mimic this Morphologis setup: 

Hey @DarkAngel!

So I have a great suggestion, but you're not going to like the price lol.

Sticks + AccessoriesVirpil

Mounts: Monstertech

I have experience with the Wharthog HOTAS and dual stick Virpil Alphas with the MongooseT-50 base with Monstertech Chair mounts.

I'll tell you using the Virpil sticks was the most glorious experience I've ever had, I did sell them because I couldn't justify $1400 when I didn't use them more than once a week at the time.  But if you are looking for the best, Virpil is great quality, and if you get the MongooseT-50 base over the WarBRD base, it has 3 interchangeable cams for both cam slots inside, 3 springs tensions and offers fine tuning using a hex key.  

If money was no object, I would buy the same exact set up again.

• 3 weeks later...

I use dual Gladiator from VKB, it's 150$ plus tax per stick.

I'm very hapy with them.

Dual sticks are more relevant if you do dogfight, for non combat activities they aren't as important.

From what I've read people in general are very happy with those T16000 sticks; especially because they are pretty easy on the wallet.

Definitely don't go with the T.Flight Hotax-X though. It may look cool and compact (and from the same manufacturer) but I've used that one on the past and it had really poor precision.

Currently I have 2 Constellation Alpha sticks from Virpil (one left and one right).

Virpil-ConstellationALPHA1.png.2cf65a58c17a9a647d539356227f282d.png

I really wanted something high-end and scifi looking. Initially I was looking for the Constellation Delta but then while I was still saving up money they announced the upgraded Alpha version and I really fell in love with the design. That scroll-wheel might also come in handy as a throttle.

However, they cost a LOT of money and it seems very hard to get them due to long wait times and lots of demand. I haven't tried them yet though as I have no space for them at my current PC. I've built a basic simpit where I will add those sticks once Squadron 42 releases. By then I'll also buy a new system to play the game on. At present time my current PC (built in 2018) works nicely for playing whatever games I want including SC but I'm currently flying with M+KB.

So yeah, if you're on a budget but still want good sticks, those T16000's seem to be a very good set. Personally I'd go with two sticks over a stick and throttle. Two sticks give you much better 6DoF which would be great for a spacegame. Stick and throttle might be better for flightsims. :) 

What others have said, definitely go with dual sticks. I'm using the VBK Glad (right stick) and a Thrustmaster T16k  (left stick, also looking to get another VKB Glad). Left stick is for strafe left right up and down as well as thrust forward and back and the right stick is for looking and roll. Works great. Was using the logi rudders but it was too cumbersome for me and I'm gonna sell em. But yeah go dual stick!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Warthog and Throttle and some nice pedals sitting in their box in my closet.

I use a Space Mouse Pro and my Mouse.  I looked at their pricing recently...and it seems pricing has gone up a bit since I got mine.  But still cheaper than my Warthog was.

They have  compact version that has the 6DOF control also, just not all the other buttons.

You know in case you wanted more confusion on what to pick.  :P

• 1 month later...

Last stick I brought.....I forget what it was exactly cause I left it at my father's place......... broke on me because it's made from plastic. You see, one of the buttons on top of the stick broke off. So, I would like to know if there is wide range of metal only throttles & joysticks?

Most of them have plastic to some degree.

But people seem to like 

Thrustmaster T.16000M  because you can use then in dual joystick setups.

and at roughly under $100, there is a pack on amazon selling 2 for 180, so in that case $90, they probably warrant a look.

I personally own a Warthog, which I loved when I used it.  But finding one left handed is impossible, so dual stick set up will require a different stick.

The build quality is great though, at least it has been for me when I used it, but like I said, they can break also.  And are fairly expensive to replace.

I loved mine but I use something completely different now, so it feels like waste.  

9 minutes ago, Irres said:

I have seen people using this one on youtube, pretty good reviews too.

Yeah, I've seen that but some says that need to use third party software, other needs their config file... and that is stopping me to buy the game