RSI - Scorpius - Medium Fighter

VoA

21 hours ago, Morgen Black said:

Thank you for the vid, VoA!

It is a nice looking heavy fighter, that I feel will take a ton of flack from the Star Wars fans. We will have to wait and see. 

MB

Star Wars fans probably won't have an issue with it. Those detractors sitting on that so-called 'refund' subreddit on the other hand might try to latch onto it with their mock outrage claiming that it's "an X-Wing ripoff" and pretending that Disney is already filing a lawsuit or some other such nonsense. :P

I mean, just because a ship has 4 wings doesn't make it an X-Wing and it looks like the Scorpius can fold its wings in multiple directions whereas the X-Wing's s-foils were limited into just flight position and attack position. There's also very little similarity between the two ships and to me it looks more like those "Starfury Mk3 Thunderbolt" fighters from Babylon 5. As I recall Chris Roberts also had a similar looking ship in one of his other games called the Ferret. :)

As for the ship itself it looks like a heavier version of the Hurricane. Probably won't have any interior and just a cockpit (with 2 seats kinda like a Super Hornet setup). Not a whole lot of missiles from what I can see as it looks like it has 8 S2's each in a separate tube like they had them on the Nomad.

Still a decent amount of firepower though; especially if all those guns are S3. Not going to trade in my Vanguard for one though but I might grab a cheap CCU to one; especially if it would fit in the Polaris hangar bay (but I doubt that it will fit). ;)

As it stands now I probably won't get the ship since I will not melt the Aopoa San'Tok.Yai and not my F8 Lighting + I like the Harbinger and Redeemer (though these are not heavy fighters).... however.... my track record of "trying" to talk myself out of throwing more money to CIG has been VERY .... very... poor in terms of holding onto my money .... when the concept comes out.... and I end up Theory Crafting a reason (or an Emotional - have to have it) - to get the ship 😜

3 hours ago, VoA said:

As it stands now I probably won't get the ship since I will not melt the Aopoa San'Tok.Yai and not my F8 Lighting + I like the Harbinger and Redeemer (though these are not heavy fighters).... however.... my track record of "trying" to talk myself out of throwing more money to CIG has been VERY .... very... poor in terms of holding onto my money .... when the concept comes out.... and I end up Theory Crafting a reason (or an Emotional - have to have it) - to get the ship 😜

Oh, come on VoA!  I know you can really get things done when you set your mind to it.  1. Open wallet, 2. Grab money and 3. Throw at screen.  It is that simple.

MB

5 hours ago, VoA said:

Heh heh... Well, you could just do like me and simply get a $5-$10 CCU to the Scorpius and simply sit on it. That's what I've been doing for quite a while now. I think the last ship I actually purchased outright was the Ares Inferno warbond. The rest of my purchases were mostly just inexpensive CCUs. ;)

Then CIG also started offering discounted Warbond CCUs since the last Anniversary sale and it gave me a taste to make CCU-chains. Managed to make the a CCU-chain to a Hercules M2 for just $195 with those new Warbond CCUs and some leftover CCUs I still had in my inventory. Now I must admit that the M2-chain was cheating a little as I still had a $0 Warden-to-Merchantman to include in the chain that was apparently never removed by CIG's removal script for some reason. However, I did not like how the M2 turned out so perhaps I will go with a C2 instead (I still have an original $10 BMM-to-C2 CCU available). :)

So yeah, just get a cheap Scorpius CCU and you will have all the time in the world to think it over. :P

I'm not overly interested in the Scorpius myself as I already have a Vanguard and Ares Inferno. The Scorpius likely won't have any interior and will just be 2 seats in a cockpit but who knows... CIG might suddenly decide to make the Polaris hangar bay just large enough to fit a Scorpius. Very unlikely that CIG would do this ofcourse but you never know. As I have a Polaris I'd want to put the most dangerous ship in that hangar and it might be pretty cool if that ship would also be from the same manufacturer. :D

Also saw this image over on Reddit and thought I'd share.

ScorpiusWallpaper.thumb.png.fd9e449c7d362c8649a88ad7781d5086.png

Looks quite similar to a certain trench run in another galaxy far far away doesn't it? Seems CIG is being a bit on-the-nose with this ship. Luckily it only looks like an X-Wing from this angle so they should be safe from Disney lawyers. :P

If you zoom in you can also see the 2-seats in the cockpit (credits to @TheGameBoi over on Spectrum for spotting it first). :)

Scorpius-2seat.thumb.png.8ef8b5f3a47ac68aa9ee9d6b71e8201a.png

Chairman's Club Scorpius.png

Here's the official Chairman's Club email , which definitely confirms that the wings do fold back!

The Price looks like $200 USD with them throwing in an $11 paint pack (seen in the picture above) on the (Chairman's Club?) warbond version for free... The non-warbond version is $220

RSI Scorpius looks cool, but it's definitely not a Heavy Fighter. To me it's effectively just an RSI version of the Hurricane (Medium Fighter).

Personally if CIG really wanted it to be a Heavy Fighter to compete against actual Heavy Fighters like the Vanguard series and Ares Starfighter I think you should swap those Small components out for Medium sized components.

With just Small components it's just an overpriced Medium Fighter in my opinion. So yeah, I'd definitely suggest CIG take another look at it while it's moving through production and swap those Small components out for Medium sized ones. Don't let it fall into the same trap as the Hurricane where two people would be better off just each flying a Sabre and be way more effective.

Heavy Fighters should be distinct in that compared to Light and Medium Fighters they move on to use Medium components while the Light and Medium Fighters use Small components.

At the moment the RSI Scorpius has basically the same components and firepower as the Hurricane Medium Fighter so CIG can call it Heavy all they want but it won't make it so. With only Small components and the same firepower as a Hurricane it will just be another Medium Fighter.

That's a real shame too as I was really hoping to see a true Heavy Fighter that could compete against other Heavy Fighters like the Vanguard series and upcoming Ares Starfighter. This RSI Scorpius is just another Hurricane but worse due to the guns sitting out on those easy to shoot off wings while the turret has worse FoV due to those wings being in the way. All in all the RSI Scorpius is just a worse Hurricane at a higher pricetag atm in my opinion. Very disappointing. 😕

Now I did get a cheap $5 Corsair-to-Scorpius CCU for some leftover store credit just in case CIG gets the memo but I'm not holding my breath. Now maybe CIG will allow the Scorpius to fit inside the Polaris Hangar but I doubt it. Still, I guess $5 just in case isn't too bad for me so I can just wait and see if CIG gets the memo or not. Otherwise I'll just melt the CCU and keep on using my Vanguard and Ares Inferno. :P

I haven't been able to confirm this myself just yet but according to someone on Reddit the devs confirmed that the Scorpius will fit inside the hangar bay of the Polaris (with its wings folded). Allegedly this was stated in the Q&A Livestream earlier today.

Apparently CIG no longer waits for questions from the community and has now just posted their own Q&A without community input.

• Can the turret be controlled by the pilot? If so, does it fire in conjunction with the forward-facing weapons or is it controlled separately?
  • Not by default. However, as it’s a remote turret, it will be able to be ‘slaved’ by a computer blade in the future, where it will be locked facing forward in the upper position.

• Is the turret fixed to one of two positions (upper, forward-facing/lower, rear-facing), or is it freely movable between the two extremes?
  • It can only be used in the two positions. During transition, it is unable to fire, though that transition is relatively quick to minimize downtime.

• How long does it take the turret to move from one end of its rail to the other, and does it move fast enough to accurately follow a small dogfighter like the Gladius?
  • The current time taken is less than five seconds. Whether or not that’s fast enough to follow a Gladius is hard to say as there are so many variables, but we intend for it to be quick enough to not hinder combat.

• Can I equip the remote turret with an AI blade?
  • Yes. Like all remote turrets on vehicles, we plan for this to be the case if you have the blade capacity on board.

• Is there a way for the pilot and gunner to quickly escape in an emergency? For example, ejection seats, escape pod, or something similar?
  • The ship comes as standard with two ejection seats that can fire independently.

• Can you fire the wing weapons when the fighter is in its landed state?
  • When in the landed state, the weapons are folded away to reduce the ship’s overall size, so they are unable to be fired.

• Does the unique turret benefit from any special target assistance, such as additional auto-gimbal assistance?
  • No, it’s just a regular remotely controlled turret and has all the features existing turrets have.

• What size of ships does it fit into?
  • We designed the landed state to make sure it fits the metrics for ‘extra small’ or Size 2 landing pads. This is in line with the majority of our other fighters and allows it to fit inside a Polaris.

• Will the turret’s degree of freedom be restricted differently depending on the wing state?
  • There will be different fire arcs depending on the position, but we only envisage you to be using the turret in the deployed wing state.

• Are the turret guns bespoke and can they be customized/swapped out? What is the maximum weapon size it accepts?
  • The turret guns are standard Size 3 weapons and can be customized like any other.

• How does its flight range compare to that of the Vanguard or Hurricane?
  • It’s closer in flight range and style to the Hurricane, but slower in SCM due to its larger mass. As part of the work to introduce the Scorpius to the game, we’ll re-evaluate the speed and handling of this type of ship to ensure they all fit their desired goals, as we noticed some irregularities in the existing tunings. The Vanguard remains a long-range, heavy fighter and benefits from larger fuel tanks and onboard living to support extended duration flight.

• How does its armor compare to the Vanguard, Hurricane, Super Hornet?
  • It has equal armor levels to the Hurricane, slightly less than the Super Hornet, and less than the Vanguard.

• Where does the ship sit compared to other fighters like the Super Hornet, Vanguard, and Hurricane?
  • It very much sits in the mix with them all, and all have pluses and minuses when compared to each other. The Scorpius is most closely compared to the Hurricane, though trades a manned turret for a remote one. Compared to the Super Hornet, it’s slightly stronger offensively but doesn’t benefit from the Hornet chassis’ modularity. Compared to the Vanguard, the Scorpius provides less forward-facing offensive firepower in favor of greater coverage.

• Why would I pick the Scorpius over the Hurricane?
  • Both ships have the same role, but if you want a slightly more flexible turret position providing more fire angles independent of the pilot’s control, then the Scorpius provides that.

• VoA changed the title to RSI - Scorpius - Medium Fighter

After reading the Q&A I have come to the conclusion that CIG did indeed design the Scorpius after the Hurricane and brings it up in comparisons constantly.

So yeah, it's not a Heavy Fighter at all, it's just an RSI version of the Hurricane Medium Fighter with similar durability, lower SCM speeds, and relatively short range. Might be a good fit for using it as your fighter of choice in the Polaris but it's definitely not comparable to actual Heavy Fighters like the Vanguard, Ares Starfighter, or F8 Lighting.

Kinda sucks though as I really wanted to see something that could compete with the Vanguard series and Ares Starfighters. :(

2 hours ago, Danakar Endeel said:

After reading the Q&A I have come to the conclusion that CIG did indeed design the Scorpius after the Hurricane and brings it up in comparisons constantly.

So yeah, it's not a Heavy Fighter at all, it's just an RSI version of the Hurricane Medium Fighter with similar durability, lower SCM speeds, and relatively short range. Might be a good fit for using it as your fighter of choice in the Polaris but it's definitely not comparable to actual Heavy Fighters like the Vanguard, Ares Starfighter, or F8 Lighting.

Kinda sucks though as I really wanted to see something that could compete with the Vanguard series and Ares Starfighters. :(

True but look at it from the other side: as a medium fighter ( that fits in a Polaris) it's a perfectly fine ship.

6 hours ago, Riley Egret said:

True but look at it from the other side: as a medium fighter ( that fits in a Polaris) it's a perfectly fine ship.

That's true but why didn't CIG just lead with that? Advertise it as a Medium Fighter and then show some art of it getting launched out of a Polaris? ;)

Instead they are now trying to pull the same stunt as they did with the Hurricane concept sale where they were pretending it was a Heavy Fighter during the sale but once ingame it's just a Medium Fighter with small components. :(

In addition to that they charged the same amount of cash for the Scorpius ($220) as they did with the Ares Starfighter; an actual Heavy Fighter with a full set of Medium components.

I still remember that talk with Ben Lesnick explaining how ship pricing was based on several factors including the value of components. I don't see that at all here so I must assume that they either stopped doing that or it was all just a BS excuse to being with. :P

So yeah, in my opinion CIG should have just advertised it as a Medium Fighter from the start and explain that it was RSI's modern take on the Hurricane design or somesuch. I mean, that it now fits in the Polaris is nice; but it was just a lucky coincidence due to CIG standardizing the ship hangars which allowed the ship to fit those metrics.

I really was looking forward to seeing an actual Heavy Fighter from RSI that would be in-line with the Aegis Vanguard series, Crusader Ares Starfighters, and Anvil F8 Lighting. Instead we just got another Medium Fighter with a Light fuselage being sold as a 'Heavy Fighter' just so they can put a higher pricetag on. I find that misleading practice rather dishonest and deceptive. 😒