After Beta Release and after Game Release how is CIG planning to fund further development and Server maintenance

Is it true that CIG had already once mentioned before to finalize our fleets before Beta release?

If that is the case did they ever mention how are they planning to fund further development? I mean Beta is still a looooooooong ways away from actually release, how are they planning to get the funds with only starter pack purchases, and some subscriptions

And the same question goes for when the game releases, did CIG mention how they plan to fund server and future development?

Are subscriptions going to be a requirement for all players later?

Regarding the other chapters, initially SQ 42 was supposed to be released in 3 chapters, but initial backers were supposed to get those 3 chapters (or at least a free second chapter) ... so it was more a question of release in 3 differents steps ... 

Now we didn't get news on the release since 3 or 4 years.... so things may have evolved ... but regarding the evolution of pricing, it is fair to assume that new players will have to pay for each chapter separately. 

And what is called a chapter may be a little bit reducting : the actual first chapter is something like 28 missions ... so a lot more than any actual AAA solo games :)

Yes TF2 is a very good example of a community supporting a game for more than a decade, a few others game have succeeded in this way, so this business model would be a good alternative ... and it is already pretty much the case with the selling of individual ship as you would pay for individual tank, plane or ship in warthunder or world of tank/ship/plane.

1 hour ago, vahadar said:

It is still written on their official FAQ about CCU that you need to apply them BEFORE beta launch.

I wonder if CIG mentioned what will happen after beta launch? no more standalone ship sales, just starter ship packages.

And what core features and / or milestones should I be watching out for? so that I could gauge how far away they are from Beta Release

9 hours ago, macgivre said:

And what is called a chapter may be a little bit reducting : the actual first chapter is something like 28 missions ... so a lot more than any actual AAA solo games

Should have taken the combo then, next anniversary hopefully there is a combo with LTI again. Never gotten a chance to properly play Wing Commander when I first saw it when I was in High School, I hope to correct that mistake with SQ42.

18 hours ago, tismoj said:

no more standalone ship sales

You're kidding right??  The day they stop selling ships will probably be the beginning of the zombie apocalypse.  That's if we lose the internet right off the bat.

Yes also clearly stated BETA is when you need to stop all your CCU-Kungfu.

2 minutes ago, Irres said:

You're kidding right??  The day they stop selling ships will probably be the beginning of the zombie apocalypse.  That's if we lose the internet right off the bat.

Now, that makes better sense, financially for them.

3 minutes ago, Irres said:

Yes also clearly stated BETA is when you need to stop all your CCU-Kungfu.

So only CCU will be gone by then

So what features and  / or milestones should I be looking out for to gauge how far along they are before beta release?

I have as much info on Beta date as anyone else, which is very little.

AllI can guess at looking at the road plan is it will not be next year.  I actually used the anniversary event to "re-make" my fleet.

Planning well into Jan of 2022 to have buy back tokens....but that is just my take.

3 minutes ago, Irres said:

I have as much info on Beta date as anyone else, which is very little.

AllI can guess at looking at the road plan is it will not be next year.  I actually used the anniversary event to "re-make" my fleet.

Planning well into Jan of 2022 to have buy back tokens....but that is just my take.

Agreed, so I should have enough time to complete my fleet by then, if not, which is unlikely, as long as I have a prospector and a solo refinery ship, then if time still permits I'll add some capital ships, Orion, Polaris, BMM, Endeavors into my fleet.

So what's your fleet now and what are you planning to get when you remake it?

Don't forget that you will be able to obtain thoses ships in game, so you don't need to throw all your money. 
On top of that, most of the ships evolve heavily year after years so what your put your money into may not be what you wanted at the end of the road :)

To give you an example I initially pledge for a super hornet that was supposed to be the king of the fighters ... and is now just a sitting duck. 
I then heard that cargo hauling was very profitable, bought with real money a Cutlass and grinded ... a month  to afford a Catterpillar with in game money.
And by that time you could make 2 million aUEC per session of 3 hours. 

Then the cargo hauling profession was destroyed by 3.11 and 3.12 update so I switched back to bounty hunting with enough aUEC to afford a Vanguard Warden : then I learnt that the killing ship in this category is the Prowler so I grinded around 10 hours to afford it in game ... 

When you know the good technics to be efficient you can grind pretty efficiently and in a very reasonable way in terms of hours of gameplay. 
So I recommend to buy with your money the ships you really love, even if they are not the best in their category. This game is also about passion :)    

And you will be able to adapt your fleet by grinding a little bit with our advice on the best way to do so :)

1 hour ago, macgivre said:

Don't forget that you will be able to obtain thoses ships in game, so you don't need to throw all your money. 
On top of that, most of the ships evolve heavily year after years so what your put your money into may not be what you wanted at the end of the road :)

Thanks for the warning, but I understand that, I never planned to purchase them all in one go, but I do want to support the game in my little way so, all ships that I mentioned except for the prospector and solo refinery ship will be purchased 1 at a time and only once I've accumulated the most savings I could get in WB CCUs from each CCU Chain, which I expect will take several years, and even if I complete all WB CCUs for a chain, if that ship is not coming out anytime soon, I have no plans of applying any of its CCU until it does come out. Right now my only plan this invictus (if there is any) is to have the least budget needed to put most if not everything i need into buy back and only hold the CCUs / WB CCUs of the target ship of each CCU Chain and what is left will be reserved for a prospector in case of a wipe, or more importantly for a solo refinery ship once it comes out. After that it is just collecting WB CCUs for each chain, or buying back CCUs of soon to be release future flyable ships that gives the best savings for each chain.

If beta comes too soon then that's fine, I'll just finalize my fleet from whatever CCUs I could melt from the lesser chains and just be happy with what I have, as long as I manage to get an Orion. Aside from possibility of wipes, the prospector and a solo refinery ship, are there to be able to build up the capital to run the Orion without having to loan from the in-game bank. the other ships in my CCU chains are just to support CIG long term, but as I said the process will span years and just gradually shelling out money to buy WB CCUs.

1 hour ago, macgivre said:

To give you an example I initially pledge for a super hornet that was supposed to be the king of the fighters ... and is now just a sitting duck. 
I then heard that cargo hauling was very profitable, bought with real money a Cutlass and grinded ... a month  to afford a Catterpillar with in game money.
And by that time you could make 2 million aUEC per session of 3 hours. 

Then the cargo hauling profession was destroyed by 3.11 and 3.12 update so I switched back to bounty hunting with enough aUEC to afford a Vanguard Warden : then I learnt that the killing ship in this category is the Prowler so I grinded around 10 hours to afford it in game ... 

That's really nice, in my case my pledge is a Nomad last Dec basically for the LTI, then in Jan I got myself a second acnt in case 1 of my kids wanted to play with me, but really I wanted the dragonfly LTI the comes with it in both accnts, then I grinded the holiday boxes until I got myself a prospector, but got frustrated at first with it using Helix so I went back to ROC but got griefetd  a lot so then I tried the Lancet on the Prospector, and grinded my way to a Cat, but 3.12.0 killed the static trading and introduced dynamic trading, so couldn't benefit from trading. But this is the fun thing I got mad with CIG because I lost 1.5M of refinery jobs, when 1.12.1 came out but when xeno threat phase 2 came out and I learned I could earn a lot, so I grinded it, even had my second account tag along as my pilot, to double the payout. and got myself the MOLE, Pheonix, and the Prowler, just before phase 2 was over, so shame at me for being mad at CIG because I got so much more after that.

On 4/10/2021 at 6:20 AM, macgivre said:

I must echo this.  Do not go in too heavy...I do regret it some myself but nothing I can do about it now other than caution others to be more careful than I was  :P

All you really need is a good utility ship to make in game currency and time.  The MSR in hindsight would be the only ship I would get if I were starting over today...maybe the Mole.

edit:  Oh wait I read your post after and see you already know this.  :)

On 4/10/2021 at 12:02 AM, tismoj said:

So what's your fleet now and what are you planning to get when you remake it?

Uhm so when I remake, I mean with CCU kungfu and buy back...without adding new money.

So already in progress....since you mentioned Polaris....these changed to limited count based on it getting bigger or being labeled "Capital Ship" so you will need to go through the button spamming nonsense unless you plan on putting in new money.

Last Anniversary event....I bought a bunch of CCU upgrades....enough to require a huge excel sheet for the plan so as not to screw anything up.

I currently own:

bought back this year:

Polaris (just bought this back in april)

a package called Exploration mega pack bought back in Jan

I upgraded the ships in it to  have  MSR, Hurricane, Ares Inferno, Vulture, Perseus and a Hammerhead

the next 2 buy backs are starfarer and hull c, to be ccu'd to Prowler, and Reclaimer

Then Jan 2021 is another hullc to Crucible or Endeavor

(yes I have all the ccus in steps)

That was my fleet rearrangement.

The rest was what I already had or CCU's for ships like the Blade which I love but it is too weak and I will probably ccu it to a MOLE.

9 hours ago, Irres said:

I must echo this.  Do not go in too heavy...I do regret it some myself but nothing I can do about it now other than caution others to be more careful than I was  :P

Wow, that's 2 warnings already, that certainly means something. I most certainly will keep my spending very slow then, except for the 2 solo ships (prospector and refinery ship), before the next wipe, but after Invictus week, so that I could just melt and use store credits to get the CCU to prospector and the same with the refinery ship as soon as it get released, I just don't want to go through the grind without at least a prospector.

I really appreciate the warning guys, i really do.

I'm sorry about your regret, I hope do not get to that point as well.

9 hours ago, Irres said:

All you really need is a good utility ship to make in game currency and time.  The MSR in hindsight would be the only ship I would get if I were starting over today...maybe the Mole.

I love the MSR and the MOLE but I only plan to buy them in game even on release. I really love the MOLE so much more than the Prospector, especially since I have a 2nd account to pilot it for me, which makes it a LOT easier to work with. I once made 637K in 1 run and a more recent 515K, while on the prospectors the best I could do is 250K, plus its a homicidal serial killer, but once the refinery ship and icache gets released, I expect my mining gameplay will change dramatically, I will no longer be out looking for the best rock but just more like strip mining whatever I find, since the refinery ship is so much nearer than a refinery station, which should be a lot less frustrating, hence no need to have a large ore storage so using 2 prospectors both with lancet and passive modules that reduce the pickup of inert materials, might make better sense since you could both mine and pilot at the same time, unlike the mole when both acnts are on the turrets.

9 hours ago, Irres said:

So already in progress....since you mentioned Polaris....these changed to limited count based on it getting bigger or being labeled "Capital Ship" so you will need to go through the button spamming nonsense unless you plan on putting in new money.

Really, and i thought it had always been a hull limited ship, that's really interesting.

Yeah I plan to get the WB CCU for the Polaris which hopefully will be much easier to get than store credit CCU, and I wouldn't mind getting a $75 savings doing so. Besides, before invictus I only have $165 worth CCUs in hangar and an $80 Nomad Package and another $40.5 MR package (2nd acnt), even if I ended up just buying the 2 Solo Ships and an Orion, I still have so much room to put in new money into WB CCUs and melting some to buy CCUs to buy back with store credits.

If ever I succeed in getting a WB CCU for the Polaris, it will just be on hold or melted I want to get the BMM more, and believe despite what CIG said about all ships being available in game, the BMM is still going to be a rare ship to buy in game, if they plan to stick to its lore which is it being only passed on as an heirloom ship. which would make it almost impossible to get in game, which I expect it if ever to be in a bidding and will require certain reputations to gain access to bid, I know I may be WAY WAY over my head with assumptions but, that is what I think will happen. And I REALLy like to try the retail store gameplay, which could only be accessible if you have a ship like the BMM or Privateer, though unlike the BMM the privateer should be much easier to purchase, thought still pricey i bet, maybe just having a requirement of the right reputation or maybe not.

I know someone that bought his BMM for just $140, and Polaris for $360, and I hope if I really take my time and apply when I believe I got the best savings I could, I hope to get really good savings, and still be able to further support CIG. Plus I plan to just pay with all this using Credit Card Rebates, believe it or not, I've already paid $90 in the last 5 months using just rebates, and I expect my rebates had already increased to $25 per month, in the last 3 months. The funny thing is I have a budget for all this, but decided to see if I could just pay it all eventually with just rebates, HAHAHA. In invictus I plan to have an extra $255 new money budget, to buy all WB CCUs and CCUs of the target ships, and the rest to put to Buy Back and with enough Store Credits for the 2 solo ships.

10 hours ago, Irres said:

Polaris (just bought this back in april)

How come you were able to buy this in April? Invictus was in end of May, from the Grey?

a package called Exploration mega pack bought back in Jan

I upgraded the ships in it to  have  MSR, Hurricane, Ares Inferno, Vulture, Perseus and a Hammerhead

The Polaris and the Exploration pack are both already costly, you may already be on Concierge then.

I like the Vulture and the Hemmerhead too, but will buy them in game. the Vulture will probably melt a few things to buy with Store Credits just to try when it comes out but will just melt and buy in game.

the next 2 buy backs are starfarer and hull c, to be ccu'd to Prowler, and Reclaimer

Then Jan 2021 is another hullc to Crucible or Endeavor

I like to try the Reclaimer once its functional, but will probably buy in game as well, depend on how I like the gameplay.

The Crucible is also in my CCU Chain but is in the last one so most likely i will end up just buying it in Game, unless beta really really takes much longer to release.

But the Endeavor is something I have multiple CCU Chains of but are of much lower priority to the Orion, BMM and Polaris, so that might not also happen, unless Beta comes too too late.

Hopefully all paid by just Rebates hahaha.