What happens to a Warbond CCU in Buy Back if the target ship increases in value?

Hi Guys,

Any body here melted their WB CCU only to find that the price of the target ship had gone up, when they were trying to buy it back from buy back with cash.

For example I bought a bunch of $5 WB CCUs from Andromeda to MSR having a savings of $30 each, for each of my CCU chains, and melted some of it, though highly unlikely but lets just say CIG increased the price of the MSR from $260 to $265, what will happen to the WB CCUs in buy back?

1. Is the WB CCU still available to buy back?

2. If so, does it still have the same discounted amount, but only the price of the WB CCU itself had gone up because of the new price of the target ship? In other words, would the savings, from the above example, would still remain the same $30 but the price to buy the WB CCU back would increase from $5 to $10

3. Also what will happen if it was reversed, the MSR's price remained the same $260, with its WB price of $230 but the Andromeda increased in price from $225 to $230? the same price as the MSR WB price

If the past is any indicator, the only issue for increases would be if the BASE ship would increase in cost, not the ship you'd be CCUing to. Example: I have a $0 CCU from a Vanguard to a BanuMM still chilling in my hangar. The only way I would be "hurt" is if the VANGUARD increases in price, as the BanuMM is already amped up pretty high in price. As for the ships already out there, CIG has said they won't increase prices of ships already released.

Thanks, for that info. And I'm actually surprised that $0 CCUs can still be applied, I taught CIG removed those from hangars when it was being exploited. And I am Envious that you have a CCU that cost you nothing but has a saving of $200 I think, WOW!

But my question is really about WB CCUs, it is my fault the example I gave is not a good one since MSR is already in game, but my question is really also for WB CCUs of future Flyable ships, as well. Like once the price of the concept ship changes like the BMM which was $250 than became $350 and at that time you bought a WB CCU priced at $300 for a savings of $50, that you melted before the price raised again to $450, which is a $100 increase, and would like to still buy it back.

1. Is it Still available, to buy back?

2. If so, is the savings still $50, but the price to buy it back had increased proportionally by $100?

Also I am very much relieved to hear that CIG said "they won't increase prices of ships already released", BUT believe it or not, I think I have PROOF that CIG had just fairly recently increased prices on ships that I think are already in-game (I wasn't a backer at this time so I am not so sure), but that nobody just noticed the increase, because the increase is just $5 and had only happened to starter ships, which would have the least impact to those collecting CCUs

Aurora LN: NOW $40, THEN $35, 5/22/2020 Based from this video Star Citizen Fleet Week Begins | Capital Ships, Ship Sales & Server Problems

Aurora LX: NOW $35, THEN $30, 11/25/2019 Based from this video Star Citizen RSI Ships - 2949 Anniversary Expo Day 2

Aurora MR: NOW $30, THEN $25, 11/25/2019 Based from this video Star Citizen RSI Ships - 2949 Anniversary Expo Day 2

Avenger Titan: NOW $55, THEN $50, 5/27/2020 Based from this video Star Citizen Aegis Day | Idris & Javelin Wave 1 Sold Out

Anything you melted at a specific price is able to be bought back at the price you melted it unless CIG changes something or otherwise has specified. Example: I bought back a Carrack for $350 that I had melted. 

The "savings" for the Warbond CCU will increase if the value of the ship is increased, but things like the appliable LTI (Which some WB CCUs had as a feature) may no longer be attached, but I have yet to see anyone comment on trying to do something of that nature.

As for "stealth" price increases on specific ships, I think it's telling that the Avenger and the Auroras appear to be the only ones that were boosted in price by a little bit, and that's probably because of CIG aiming for the "buy in" average cost for getting a ship+game package to be a "minimum cost" of $45, which required a boost in price to the above mentioned ships in order to make the "Base ship cost + $15" they aim for to get the starter packs set.

16 hours ago, tismoj said:

Any body here melted their WB CCU only to find that the price of the target ship had gone up, when they were trying to buy it back from buy back with cash.

For example I bought a bunch of $5 WB CCUs from Andromeda to MSR having a savings of $30 each, for each of my CCU chains, and melted some of it, though highly unlikely but lets just say CIG increased the price of the MSR from $260 to $265, what will happen to the WB CCUs in buy back?

1. Is the WB CCU still available to buy back?

You could melt WB CCU and buy back anytime. This an upgrade has fixed price 

3 hours ago, Chimaera said:

Anything you melted at a specific price is able to be bought back at the price you melted it unless CIG changes something or otherwise has specified. Example: I bought back a Carrack for $350 that I had melted.

WOAH, that's great news, I must have misunderstood Nooblifier, I thought only the ships and CCUs in the hangar are safe from price changes and everything in the buy back that had its price increased will have to buy back based on its new price. Basically I thought, if in your case you wanter to buy back your Carrack melted when the price was $350 but now is $600, you'll have to buy it back at the new price of $600.

Based from what you said, everything I put into buy back is fixed (its price, and for WB CCUs and WB ships, the savings may even increase, if the price of the ship had increased), and can be bought back for the same price, regardless if whether the price of the CCU To ship had increased in price or not. And once I apply the upgrade the resulting ship will be valued with the new price, if the price had increased. Unless of course CIG changes things.

2 hours ago, GodZe said:

You could melt WB CCU and buy back anytime. This an upgrade has fixed price 

So this also confirms what I originally thought about buy backs are wrong, and the price of the melted WB CCU will remain the same even after a price increase. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

On 4/1/2021 at 6:40 AM, tismoj said:

WOAH, that's great news, I must have misunderstood Nooblifier, I thought only the ships and CCUs in the hangar are safe from price changes and everything in the buy back that had its price increased will have to buy back based on its new price. Basically I thought, if in your case you wanter to buy back your Carrack melted when the price was $350 but now is $600, you'll have to buy it back at the new price of $600.

Based from what you said, everything I put into buy back is fixed (its price, and for WB CCUs and WB ships, the savings may even increase, if the price of the ship had increased), and can be bought back for the same price, regardless if whether the price of the CCU To ship had increased in price or not. And once I apply the upgrade the resulting ship will be valued with the new price, if the price had increased. Unless of course CIG changes things.

So this also confirms what I originally thought about buy backs are wrong, and the price of the melted WB CCU will remain the same even after a price increase. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

To make it simple: every item which is either a standalone, a pack, a package, an add-on (...) and not an upgrade, will always retain its original price (warbond or store credit) in buyback.

An upgrade MAY have its price increased in buyback. But most of the time, upgrades (even, bought with store credit) retain their original price even after the target ship has jumped in price.

Note that upgrades MAY also retain their original price, even if a similar newer upgrade might be cheaper. In the case of the Hull-E old CCU for exemple, it was bought once for 150$ to upgrade from a Carrack. The price gap is now 50$ only (even if Hull-E CCU are not in store anymore), but you can not repurchase it for this price, but for original price. CIG Support states that it is not possible to buyback an item at a price lower than original price.

Note that if you applied a coupon on an item, you will loose the rebate if you melt an item and will have to buy at original price.

Also some package might have their price messed up in the buy back and do not show the promotion they once had (for instance anniversary sale package with price reduction), if that is the case you need to contact support so they fix the price for you to buy back.

Discounted Pledges from Promotions and Sales

Unlike pledges acquired through the use of a subscriber discount coupon as noted above, pledges and packages that were originally being offered with a discount, such as Warbond pledges or special holiday package deals, will retain their discount when bought back.

If a pledge of this nature is showing at a non-discounted price in your buy back queue, please contact RSI Support at let us know so we can look into it.

https://support.robertsspaceindustries.com/hc/en-us/articles/115013195207-Pledge-Buy-Back-tool

Thanks so much for that very detailed info. At least I know now that not all upgrades will be safe from changes. Basically it is still best to keep all important WB CCUs in hangar, and we don't know if buy back would always be there.

And too bad about the Hull E, I hope that is not your targeted CCU ship, but if it is, it is still not too bad to buy it back if you make a goon enough savings via CCU and WB CCUs.

Hard to say with certainty and because it is Warbond what will happen.

But everything I have ever bought back was essentially locked at the price at which I bought it.

I will say when a certain CCU to BMM's became a deal due to price increase.  Only the ones still in my account were valid at the original price, trying to buy back melted ones reflected the new price, I hope that helps.

But I also believe this is what led to the whole removal of $0 ccu's , so it may have been a special case.

In general CCU's on your buy back, not in your account, will reflect current price.  But that is non-warbond...Warbond may lock the price.