HOTAS help, mainly throttle problems

NavyCPO

Morning all

I was wondering if those who use joystick and throttle can lend me some help.  I have a logitech X56 HOTAS and have finally after much trial and error have gotten it to work.

The issue I am personally having is the way the default thrust is working with my throttle.  For example in Elite Dangerous my throttle works like I would expect, if I slide it all the way back that is a dead stop.  If I push forward it is full engine throttle.  In this game the throttle is idle in the middle which is hard to find for me cause my throttle has no mid detent, also when I push forward it goes in reverse engine thrust and when I pull all the way back it is full thrust forward.  To me this is not good especially how the throttle IMO is reversed.

Is there a way to make the throttle perform like it does in elite where I can use the full range for going forward and set a reverse button and if not can someone assist me in getting it whee at least when I push all the way forward it is full throttle forward.  I have tried setting in game settings FLIGHT - HOTAS thrust invert toggle to both settings yes and no and it has not effected how my throttle works at all is remains backwards to me.

Thanks anyone who can lend assistance.

NavyCPO

Hello, the fact that your axis is reversed can be configured (at least by performing a reconfiguration of the axis).

But the fact that you can go both forward and backward is a core feature as you have the decoupled mode that allow a very agile behaviour of the ship that take full priviliege of this backward thrust.

Regarding the full stop in the middle of the axis, I share your observation with an X52 ... but you get quickly used to it after a few hours of play ... but in the end I do not recommend the use of a joystick in star citizen as for warthunder : your are far more accurate in your pointing with a mouse that is a key requirement to shoot an enemy ship at 4 killometers range. 

Plus as sim pilote (under Il-2 BoX), I'm used to flight in a gravity well with the up and down axis submitted to the gravity and energy rules ... in space the piloting is completly different, and using the same joystick is very confusing for me as the behaviour of the ships are completly differents.

On 1/24/2021 at 1:50 PM, macgivre said:

Hello, the fact that your axis is reversed can be configured (at least by performing a reconfiguration of the axis).

But the fact that you can go both forward and backward is a core feature as you have the decoupled mode that allow a very agile behaviour of the ship that take full priviliege of this backward thrust.

Regarding the full stop in the middle of the axis, I share your observation with an X52 ... but you get quickly used to it after a few hours of play ... but in the end I do not recommend the use of a joystick in star citizen as for warthunder : your are far more accurate in your pointing with a mouse that is a key requirement to shoot an enemy ship at 4 killometers range. 

Plus as sim pilote (under Il-2 BoX), I'm used to flight in a gravity well with the up and down axis submitted to the gravity and energy rules ... in space the piloting is completly different, and using the same joystick is very confusing for me as the behaviour of the ships are completly differents.

Really you don't recommend a joystick? Hmmm I just got my hands on 2 T16Ks and I find the control way more precise (after tweaking dead zones and things admittedly). Mouse is definitely easy to use but I had a really hard time with maneuvering with KB. Executing 180 burns and hard banks was a pain on KB. In the end, to each their own.

It's up to personnal taste, but what you describe is exactly whatl I feel in both Star Citizen and Warthunder : You are more accurate on where you position your fighter ... so in a way the flight is more pleasant.

But when I fight an agile small fighter, I really strugle to align it with a joystick, while I feel a lot more easier with a mouse. 

Plus if you look carefully, you may notice that the joystick allows you to point your nose, but it really force you to behave like a plane with a main speed vector in the axis of the nose, making your trajectroy more predictable.
As an example, using the straffing with a joystick is not very natural ... while it is a killing feature in a space dogfight. 

For example when I need to perform a 180, I just decouple with "v", start to straff to avoid flying in a straight line, and make a quick rotation with a mouse like in any FPS. Then when I am facing the right direction, I just reactivate the couple mode and use full afterburner to change speed vector in an hard way. 

But it may be a personnal taste as I practice a lot WW2 simulation, so my brain is already calibrated to a specific use of the joystick and a flight pattern. So use the mouse help me to break those bad habits... Player coming from different horizon may not have those bad habits ^^

On 1/28/2021 at 3:18 AM, macgivre said:

It's up to personnal taste, but what you describe is exactly whatl I feel in both Star Citizen and Warthunder : You are more accurate on where you position your fighter ... so in a way the flight is more pleasant.

But when I fight an agile small fighter, I really strugle to align it with a joystick, while I feel a lot more easier with a mouse. 

Plus if you look carefully, you may notice that the joystick allows you to point your nose, but it really force you to behave like a plane with a main speed vector in the axis of the nose, making your trajectroy more predictable.
As an example, using the straffing with a joystick is not very natural ... while it is a killing feature in a space dogfight. 

For example when I need to perform a 180, I just decouple with "v", start to straff to avoid flying in a straight line, and make a quick rotation with a mouse like in any FPS. Then when I am facing the right direction, I just reactivate the couple mode and use full afterburner to change speed vector in an hard way. 

But it may be a personnal taste as I practice a lot WW2 simulation, so my brain is already calibrated to a specific use of the joystick and a flight pattern. So use the mouse help me to break those bad habits... Player coming from different horizon may not have those bad habits ^^

Oh I totally understand. It's absolutely personal taste. ESP is supposed to decrease your sensitivity when aiming close to a target. Maybe that would help with staying on target with HOTAS/HOSAS. I have yet to try it out myself. I keep forgetting.

At the end of the day, whatever helps you take down your target is the best choice. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I realise this is a very late reply and you're probably a-ok by now but what you ask can most certainly be done.  In the keybindings/joystick/advanced bindings/flight movement section all you need to do is assign throttle-forward to your hotas throttle and throttle back to the hotas throttle but use a keyboard modifier as well. In my case i use the left alt key. Leave throttle forward/back blank. That is RSI's version of centre point nuetral (half range). You may also need to invert your settings which is best done in the options/controls section but make sure you assign it to the correct joystick. If you are using a hotas sc will consider the joystick and throttle to be separate joysticks. In my case my throttle is joystick 2 and the actual joystick is joystick 3. ps. I also use voice attack to translate a joystick button to left alt so i don't have to actually touch the keyboard to press the left alt when reversing.  .. Hope this helps someone. Cheers