New player but performance is terrible

Xrm54r

I have been wanting to get into this game for a bit now and just downloaded and started trying to. The problem I am having is that the games performance is absolutely atrocious. Totally unplayable... Tons of stuttering and low (like 10 or less) FPS on what I think is at least a decent computer. Even on medium settings...

CPU: AMD 9590 AM3+
GPU: EVGA Nvidia 980 Ti
Memory: 32GB DDR3
Game Drive: Samsung 860 Evo

I mean my setup is a few years old but its not so hopelessly crap that I shouldn't be able to run this, but I totally cant use the game, the performance is totally useless. Is there some common issue with this that I can fix? Even on medium settings it runs only like 10ish FPS or less, and the stuttering for texture loading times makes it unplayable. I keep getting issues with textures not loading and getting see through models, even just walking around the beginner space station.

Any help would be appreciated, I really want to start Star Citizen and I don't think my build is that bad, but the games performance is telling me otherwise. Thanks in advance for the help.

Mine pretty much sucked with an older graphics card like you show.

I upgraded to a GTX 1080 (not the best but ...)

I have had no further stutter problems since.

I cannot respond your AMD chip as good/bad/indifferent, just what worked for me.

I imagine that today you can get better than my 1080 for less money than I spent on it. - DRUM out

Hmmm, thanks. I will take a look at upgrading, but the 980TI is only 5 years old, and benchmarks about the same as a 1070. In 2015 it was actually one of the best cards you could buy. I don't have any issues playing even brand new games for the most part at 30+ fps. Is Star Citizen just extremely demanding?

Just as an aside, this is typical Chris Roberts.

Whenever he announced a new game, as followers, we made throat noises, because it meant we were fixing to upgrade our machines.

He didn't compromise and pushed for the best resolution and performance currently available.

i5, i7, i9, instead of 8080, 386, 486, but even as things change, they are the same. - DRUM out

For comparison I have a 3900x and a 2080ti, my CPU sits at like 80% usage and my gpu at 100% to get 50fps in city areas and 80 in space.

Couple things I can see, your CPU is over 6 years old now and of a core architecture which was notorious for having a class action lawsuit where AMD refunded everyone who bought a chip. It is very much more than underpowered for a game like star citizen. Consider the current chips are more than twice as good in single core, and the top performing chips (5950x) also have twice as many cores. It is also common right now that new cpus use ram that is more than twice as fast as ddr3. Your GPU is 5 years old and while at the time was probably on par with a 1070, you have to keep in mind that GPU's are made to run games around their release time and dont always age well. As new tech gets released GPU's need to redesign how they process for the new techniques. This more than likely means a GPU that is 4 generations old will not get "full performance" on a game like star citizen which very much pushes the envelope.

I dont want to say you cant play this game, just keep your expectations in line with what it is supposed to be. Star citizen has been in development for a long time, and in order to stay relevant they need to make a demanding game now that will run on an average pc years from now. It is very likely that my current hardware is below what will end up being the recommended specs, just because of the release window. 

You can go to https://robertsspaceindustries.com/telemetry to see how your performance compares with what other people and hardware get.

• 4 months later...

I've got a Ryzen 5 5600X and a Aorus 6900XT Master, running in 3440x1440. It seems to be barely pushing my GPU, but I'm only getting 20-30 FPS when walking around the persistent universe. I get double the frame rates in the new Unreal Engine 5 demo and it looks massively better.