You may be having a misunderstanding about Star Citizen.

It is not a game - yet. There is nothing to lose - yet.

Patches may consume items gotten in game, but any purchased items that reside in your account hangar will always be there.

So, if you own an Aurora, it will always be available. If you save up in game and buy a prospector, it could possibly disappear in a patch wipe.

This is because you are looking at an open Alpha Test Bed. Even that is split up. Evocati, and subscriber in PTU and everyone in Live.

The PTU (patch test bed) is where things go to be broken. Once stable, it is pushed to LIve.

One more thing. There are many aspects to what we currently have. There will be a stand alone entry game soon (Squadron 42), and the Live universe, which includes Persistent Universe and arena play in Star Marine and Arena Commander.  Examine your package carefully since a stand alone ship is not a game package.  The picture below shows the two available game packages. The S42 for the stand alone game soon to be released and the Star Citizen part for everything else.

A starter package cost is still $40 I believe.  With that you have an entry level ship (Aurora) and access to the live test bed. You can always purchase other stand alone ships or additional game packages later if the game interests you. (some ships come with LTI - Lifetime Insurance) which means you will not ever lose them forever.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/ship-matrix

You can examine the difference in the various ship matrix shown above.  One thing of interest is Cargo. If you want to move goods you will need cargo space, so something like the new Nomad is a good mix between fight suitability and cargo hauling, even though pricier than the Aurora. A lot to think about before you buy in, but I just wanted to make sure you realized you are buying into an Open Alpha/Beta with just the Stanton system currently, and not the 100 promised for the finished game.

Just make sure your first package contains the Star Citizen Digital Download. - DRUM out

image.png.c36b28718075a10473ab43432009148a.png

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Gallitin
      The SCB site will be migrating to a new and improved server on 2/25/2016 @9:00AM EST.
      Over the past 24 hours the new box was built, installed and brought online.  I ran a test migration without any issues so the final sync is planned for the date above.  All data will be transferred.
      Expect a short downtime on Teamspeak as once the sync happens it will have to be taken offline on the old server and brought back up on the new.  As for the forums, there is also a potential for a short outage, but likely won't be noticed unless you're online during just the right moment.
      Keep in mind as goes with all development that there is a possibility of extended downtime for any unforeseen issues, but I'll be on it.
      Thanks
    • By Boildown
      At the end of Reverse the Verse, Sean Tracy talked about server and client performance based on how many cores are available:
      Timestamped Twitch link: http://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity/v/30598087?t=91m37s
      Applicable reddit thread where I saw this linked: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3xe7a1/sean_tracy_on_i7_vs_i5_in_star_citizen
      I've speculated about how well threaded Star Citizen will be a number of times on these forums.  It seems that an i7 (quad core with hyperthreading) will end up having a noticeable advantage over an i5 (quad core without hyperthreading).  He mentioned "eight cores", so that leads me to believe that even octo-core extreme CPUs will see a benefit (whether it outweighs their inherent clock-speed disadvantage compared to quad and hexa cores, I dunno).
      This is also good news for people with the "eight core" AMD CPUs, like the FX-8350.  I doubt they'll be better than a desktop i7 due to their significant IPC deficit, but they may well be better than an i5 or some of the laptop i7s that are clocked a lot slower.
      I still want a Star Citizen time demo feature!  Anyways, this is a great sign that they are taking multi-threading very seriously.  The future of CPUs clearly is not faster and faster cores, but more and more cores, so its very important that they make these considerations early, and they are!
    • By Rellim

http://www.twitch.tv/team/bng

Bad News Gaming Presents:
      Elite Dangerous Roleplaying Server
      Bad News Gaming is trying to get together a group of players to play on a roleplaying server. They want to get at least a minimum of 75 people to apply here before they open the server. If anyone is interested, apply here: 
      https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1IyPedZs4YnX0gQzZ7jU46hvw-ekjSaG10a0qXKZY_L4/viewform?usp=send_form 
      More information and rules here:
      https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wSgtU7zGvACm2mbz1A1730eWBmu2OqPiCIUc_X5IdOE/edit
      Visit the twitch team's page here:
      http://www.twitch.tv/team/bng 
    • By VoA
      [Dev Post/Reply] Current plan for the PU servers are to have no downtime  <<--  I've gotten totally used to no server regular maintenance with current MMOs like Guild Wars 2.  Only the older MMOs have server down times (as far as I know).... unless there are special circumstances like listed below... 

JMasker.CIGJMasker_CIG       Posted:  12:32AM       So the problem we have on Star Citizen with HPC (High Performance Computing) is two fold.
      1. Expensive. Very. From the hardware to the power...ouch.
      2. CryEngine/CryServer wouldn't even take advantage of it. 

We are doing some heavy modifications to both the engine and the server to optimize and parallelize how the engine and server actually utilize CPU, but right now it simply would not make so much of a difference that it would solve our problems. Also, as I have said before, my opinion is that our real problem is the client performance rendering large numbers of players in close proximity to each other. 

As for downtime, this is really based on our database solution. Our current plan for the servers is no downtime. With a cloud solution we can spin up an entire copy of the game architecture with fixes, improvements, or a whole new version of the server (patch). Then we simply change the DNS entry in the launcher to point new incoming connections to the new environment. The allows people playing to finish up what they are doing before logging out. After about an hour or two we will initiate a count down on the old environment and delete it, anyone still playing will be kicked out. Players will then begin patching and log back into the new environment. This is generally refereed to as a Blue-Green environment setup.

However, databases complicate this. Assuming that the DB schema remains the same between game patches, what I mentioned above should be a zero downtime switch. Unfortunately, if the DB schema changes we will have to upgrade the old database to the new schema. Depending how much data migration there is this downtime can be anywhere from 4-16hrs. Other DB related issues can also cause downtime: data corruption/cleanup, table rebuilds, adding nodes to a clustered DB solution, replacing blades, remounting drives, replacing RAM, running expensive data deprecation jobs, large queries, etc. We are not even sure if we are going with a MySQL or NoSQL DB solution yet, and that too will play a part in how much downtime we have (very likely we will end up with both). 

So its a complicated answer.  
    • By SnowOwl
      I want to ask of you guys what do you think of the group, their server, their Modpack etc. I want you guys to give your all in what you think of them. You gentlemen have worked with USEC or at least have used their server a couple times. So I want to know what is on your mind when you think of USEC or any Arma 3 Ops I invite you to. Also on that note, I want some feedback as for what you think of me as for the guy that usually organizes nights like these. (I call or text you guys to come to the server, yet may not be the guy actually running the show once we're on server.)