Ongoing Discussion AMD 5000 series / Zen 3 Details

Boildown

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16148/amd-ryzen-5000-and-zen-3-on-nov-5th-19-ipc-claims-best-gaming-cpu

This is when I finally switch teams to AMD for the CPU (lol I don't think AMD's GPU will be any good though).

Amazed that the clock speed keeps going up at 16 cores over 12 cores.  Need to look at it closer to see if there's any gotchas.  Will be waiting for reviews before buying as always.  But AMD is about to wipe Intel's last advantage away.  I'm still on my i7-4770K, so this will be a huge upgrade.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to say I have a good understanding of AMD chips, I am a huge nerd and bit the bullet for you on the 3000 series. I have a 3900x which is basically the entry level to the fully realized chiplet design. Basically the X900x is going to be 2 X600x chips with some special sauce connecting them. Due to how the silicon lottery works you get twice the change of getting a golden chip, because you have two of them. This means the 900 and 950 series are guaranteed to be "above the curve" of non dual chips. There is also a rumor that AMD purposely pairs golden and non golden chips up with the philosophy being that if you're using more that 6 or 8 cores the boosts wont matter as much as just having lots of cores.

What I will say;

AMD is a great platform. Star Citizen is one of the few games that throws the load on my 12 core CPU, I really think I will upgrade to the 5000 series.

It has also been a blessing to have PCIE gen 4 as the gen 4 nvmes are wicked fast.

Overclocking doesn't really exist, just get good CPU cooling, set the bios settings to auto boost and let it go.

AMD chips are particularly funny when it comes to RAM settings. If you have slower ram you will hurt your performance. I would recommend DDR4 3200 c14 at the worst, and DDR4 3600 c16 as meh. This is because the special sauce (infinity fabric) that connects the chips together is linked to your ram speed. This is a limiting factor as the clock speed of the infinity fabric is limited so at a certain point all the performance gains of fast ram are completely lost. With the 3000 chips it was at 3733 OR 3800 depending on your chip. AMD has rumored that the 5th gen will do 4000. I would recommend these ram sticks IF that is true; https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232968 These are 8gb sticks meaning your max ram is 32gb but if you want 64 they do make the same G.skill ripjaw series, just notice the timings are worse. 

I really do believe that AMD chips will be the king of star citizen when the 5000 series comes out, my system (3900x, 2080ti) is heavily CPU limited in star citizen except when quantum traveling or away from anything happening and my 3900x performs better than any 8 core cpu on the market in star citizen. You will see a monstrous improvement over a 4770 to a 5900x. I saw a gigantic leap from a 6700k to a 3900x.