Hi folk. I bought the game some time ago but had problems with it at the time. I thought I would give it another go but Im more confused now than I was before. I expected to start in the starport in space but found myself in a city (Stanton). That was the first confusion. I eventually found the means to transport to get to the starport by wondering around aimlessly as I could find no sort of built in map to help beginners. When I got to the spaceport, I discovered I have 2 ships not the one I remember when I started. So I selected the one I know I own and entered the ship. After spending ages trying to figure out how to start the engines, I finally got to lift off the ground only to find myself trapped in the corner of the hanger with no means of moving any further either forward or backwards. Eventually my ship got impounded and I found myself back in an empty hanger. Can someone tell me why Im where I am instead of where I expected to be? And how do I get into space? Im confused, frustrated and not just a litlle thinking how on earth did I get where I am never mind problems with the controls.

Yes this game is not really user friendly for the new commer... 

First of all forget of all the shortcuts you knew : the layout of the key mapping change every year ... 
So when you are in your ship in your hangar you will need to ask the permission to take off :

1) The shortcut to start the engine and the power is "r"

2)  Go to the contact menu (F11)
3) Click on the first name in the list of contact, it should be hte control tower (for example at hurston it is called "Lorville Landing Services")

4) You should have a voice telling you a good day or something like that .... in the meantime the doors of the hangar will start to open

5) To climb use the spacebar

6) BUT with the new update the manoeuvers thrusters used to climb are nerfed, so you will need to use the boost to take altitude, so use both spacebar and shift button (the shift button is the boost). 

7) As soon as you are outside the hangar point your nose toward the sky to climb with your main thrusters and release the boost button : (the boost will overheat in a dozen of seconds and damage your engine).

8 ) To stabilize your speed use the "c" key to activate the cruise speed, you can increase the cruise speed with your mouse wheel. 

Hope this will help you :)

1 hour ago, macgivre said:

Yes this game is not really user friendly for the new commer... 

First of all forget of all the shortcuts you knew : the layout of the key mapping change every year ... 
So when you are in your ship in your hangar you will need to ask the permission to take off :

1) The shortcut to start the engine and the power is "r"

2)  Go to the contact menu (F11)
3) Click on the first name in the list of contact, it should be hte control tower (for example at hurston it is called "Lorville Landing Services")

4) You should have a voice telling you a good day or something like that .... in the meantime the doors of the hangar will start to open

5) To climb use the spacebar

6) BUT with the new update the manoeuvers thrusters used to climb are nerfed, so you will need to use the boost to take altitude, so use both spacebar and shift button (the shift button is the boost). 

7) As soon as you are outside the hangar point your nose toward the sky to climb with your main thrusters and release the boost button : (the boost will overheat in a dozen of seconds and damage your engine).

8 ) To stabilize your speed use the "c" key to activate the cruise speed, you can increase the cruise speed with your mouse wheel. 

Hope this will help you :)

Thanks. This is the sort of info that they are not really giving us.

Looking at the controls in Options will help you as well.

Knowing how to do something before you need to do it will be a benefit.

Nice keyboard graphic there and further in depth keyboard shortcuts in toggle on the bottom.

There really is no manual yet, as you have seen, which actually makes sense since the controls and ship activities seem to shift with every other patch. - DRUM out

• 3 weeks later...