I designed a crewed interstellar spacecraft

alfa015

Hi everybody,

I would like to share with you a crewed interstellar spacecraft which I have designed and called Solar One.

It employs a combination of 3 propulsion methods: nuclear fusion, beam-powered propulsion , and photon propulsion.

Basically, several compact fusion reactors power a laser system that propels a huge light sail.

Physicist Robert Forward already proposed in 1983 to use a 26-TW laser system to propel a 100-km light sail, a fresnel lens to focus the beam of the laser, and decelerate the spacecraft with a secondary light sail.

I propose something a bit different, which is to use to use for example a 60 TW-laser to propel a 5-km light sail that would deploy from the spacecraft after the acceleration stage, use parabolic mirrors that gradually change their orientation in order to focus the laser beam, and finally use a photon rocket to decelerate the spacecraft.

In theory, it could be possible to achieve 25% the speed of light, reaching the closest potentially habitable exoplanet in less than 20 years.

There are of course many challenges, like building high-energy continuous-wave lasers, reducing the weight of the nuclear fusion reactors (and of course achieving effective nuclear fusion first), and minimizing the effects of zero gravity during such a long trip.

What do you guys suggest to overcome these challenges?

This is my paper and a short video that summarizes all.

Regarding the power generation I have no clue, but regarding the high power laser, did you take a look at the "laser megajoule" that addition multiple lasers to product a massive beam (it's probably not yet at the scale for your need, but it may be a first path). 

• 1 month later...

While I believe it will look cool, as a mode of travel, I worry about maneuverability and control. I firmly believe the only type of propulsion that would finally end burning materials to create thrust would be a magnetic drive. Being able to create a pull or push on a system's star and any nearby heavy mass would beat rockets of any kind.
The game already has tractor beams (magnetic?) and gravity generators another magnetic technology.