Greycat ROC mining vehicle

Danakar Endeel

For us Starfarer/Gemini owners this Greycat ROC may be the best option now in order to mine quantanium on our own atm. Would have preferred something that could also operate in space though like a mining skiff but I guess landing my Gemini on low-gravity moons will have to do. :P

As for price it's a complete unknown at this time. Personally I'm hoping that it will be relatively cheap but we all know CIG doesn't know that word. So I'm guessing $75 while hoping it will be less. ;)

Moons would need to have locations that buy resources and ground vehicles need mapping to return to them.  Until then I find it hard to see how there is any way this truck is preferred over a prospector.

The fact that you enter it like a skid-steer excites me a little.

I just logged over 30 hours in Astroneer this month and little buggies are growing on me so long as they get cargo trailers.

9 minutes ago, GRIZZ said:

Moons would need to have locations that buy resources and ground vehicles need mapping to return to them.  Until then I find it hard to see how there is any way this truck is preferred over a prospector.

For one, it will probably reach areas that the prospector can't, and another advantage is that you don't have to be flying a specific mining ship to take advantage of any large valuable deposits that you come across in the 'Verse. Especially useful once we lose the ability to call up any ship from any terminal. Having one of these in a corner of my cargo hold actually makes exploration a much more lucrative activity with the larger ships when a prospector isn't readily available. 

Question, since there is no refining (not even the sorta one the prospector had) it kinda means that only 1, maybe 2 SCU. Can the "saddle bag" be taken of and stick on an empty one while out mining?

Anyway, The prospector has 64 SCU without changing and I am hoping that this will make real (in game)

450px-Cydnus_-_Landed_with_white_backgro

Doubt it. SC  is supposed to be grindy and the fact that you'd have to go back each the bucket if full is already there. ... just a different type EG crashed ships. the loot is bad if you were expecting all the riches heh.

I re watched the Citizencon panel where this was discussed and thought up a great use for the wheeled miner.  Large caves.  If the cave is large enough for a vehicle, then you will need this.  Walking into caves is already a risk with limited suit power and air, having a vehicle (for where ships can't fit) to replenish and empty your pockets would be really helpful.

• 3 weeks later...

CIG released a article yesterday labeled "Portfolio: Greycat Industrial" which talked about expanding the line of Greycat vehicles in the last section and navigating "cramped mining tunnels".  I'm going to go out on a limb and say CIG is giving us all a clue on the next (leaked) concept and we're going to see this Greycat mining vehicle soon for sale.

Source:  https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/16902-Portfolio-Greycat-Industrial

• 3 months later...
On 11/12/2020 at 9:17 AM, GRIZZ said:

mining inside a cave

That makes more sense than on the plains.

Even with Pembroke armor you have about 20-30 minutes on the cold moons and these buggy's are open air. - DRUM out