RSI Perseus

Devil Khan

2 hours ago, Devil Khan said:

Size 5 Heavy ordnance. under whelming to say the least.

The weapons, cargo, shields etc etc don't align with the same price Polaris (as far as I remember). Don't get me wrong, it's a good ship for attacking (and not defending same reasoning with the Polaris, but She has 5x S4s and 1x Size 5). I think think the the price is too high. I might get one in CCU though shaving a few bucks off though heh.

One thing I've got to look up are the stats on the Polaris again. I'm growing tired of these ships. While they look extremely pleasing to the eyes their function is sort of lacking. CIG, seem to think that we(plural for obvious reasons) will have several ships all bunched together traveling around. These ships would be deathly, just only a very narrow list of possible targets.  

The Polaris is the better ship but this one will find its place vs the medium to large ships (while the Polaris with its larger torpedoes will be better vs the large - sub-capital ships).   The big thing with the Perseus is the Turret battles (those that longed for these on the Polaris now get them).   I don't mind the S5 Torpedoes on this ship since they will be harder for the smaller ships to counter and the Perseus has a large number of them.   

As for the price - its hard to say if it is too high or not especially since this can take on a Hammerhead and have a greater likelihood of winning in a 1v1 (with the Hammerhead costing more).   This isn't just due to marking that RSI is doing for the Perseus but really that the Hammerhead is mainly meant to be a ship to go after fighters.

2 hours ago, DASKOMMTDAWEG said:

Picked one too...:)

Size 5 Torpedoes may not be super heavy.....but they are cheaper than the Polaris ones.....and you got Turrets to do the heavy work...:)

Exactly good balance between Torps and Turret size which will give it more defense vs fighters.

As suspected, the Perseus was indeed smaller than the Hammerhead. And while some people over on YT/Reddit were speculating on S9 torpedoes I figured that S5 torpedoes would be more feasible. Nice to see it does indeed have S5 torpedoes but apparently those slits that I originally suspected to be the launch tubes were just greeblies. Still, 20 S5 torpedoes is a nice thing to have while not stepping on the toes of the Polaris. :)

It's also lighter on the crew compared to the Hammerhead (6 vs 8 ) so that's nice if you're short on people. Then I also noticed that those smaller 2xS3 turrets are listed as "Auto/Remote" so it looks like the Perseus already has the ability to set them to automated PDS. :D

Twin ballistic Gatling guns can be fully automated or remotely controlled to keep incoming ordnance at bay

So yeah, I picked up a CCU from my Carrack Expedition to the Perseus. Originally I was planning to CCU my regular Carrack but after CIG removed the original Expedition skin and replaced it with 'something similar' it just doesn't feel exclusive anymore. Now that Expedition skin is just a minor colorswap of the standard skin where the lightgrey is set to white and a slight change of the glass from blue to red. No more lightgrey hangar bay door or top turret and the extra red accents that set it apart from the standard model are gone too. :(

Carrack-sKINFUCKUP.thumb.png.3d20237d8893046e03c7bf3e877f2d70.png

So instead of paying $75 for a "Carrack-to-Perseus" CCU I'd rather spend $50 for a "Carrack Expedition-to-Perseus" CCU and just keep my regular Carrack; especially with that upcoming IAE Showdown paint. That one looks awesome imo and even more exclusive than the Expedition skin that's now just a lazy colorswap. :P 

IAE2950-paint2.thumb.png.0239c2fa1fe93b5d01a0b3bd9cd21b4a.png

I picked one up to compliment my Polaris, since she needs someone to hold the door for her when she enters a room and launches those Capital Ship Killers (S10 Torps).  It looks like a fine ship and will definitely be valuable hunting Vanduul in the outer rim.  Blood Moon is going to have so much fun, hunting those lizards.

MB

20 x torps are just too small. The number, rather than size. if her main target is sub-cap class IE the catterpillar and She can take 3-4 size 9 to destroy her with its default shield. I know that torps aren't the main weapon. It's just for show if they are meant to only be fighting sub cap class.

also the missed use of wasted space above the cargo bay. Again where is ths captains seat...😁

The last 3 big ships were weak on shields and the similar with fighters with "glass cannon" eg bucaneer, hurricane etc.  Hammerhead and polaris Look very nice, yet every stat has a large weakness. Like designing a ship would do it with exact "spaceships" in mind IE airlocks anyone? they started with redesign the ship and somewhat did a decent job. EG connie, freelancer Drake ships wouldn't have an airlock as it would cost money.

I'd have bought one, if they had got rid of the torps and stuck 2-3 PDS at least.

Personally I found the stats laughable, considering the the hammerhead could easily out run her. Anyway it is probably a stat error yet again. kinda like a proverb  of a headless sheep. 5 studios and several outsourcing studios, more and more people to help with this mammoth game. I know it's a (pre) alpha, but still it's just a tech demo tbh. The huge size from day one back to 2012 when it was on kickstarter ended about now. It was only to have 1 studio with 150-70 people do it. However, atm we wouldn't have access to planets (IE access wouldn't be freely available). That dream died shortly after and a new even bigger one rose. The scope is huge though. CR said over 110 systems(give or take a few). I've sunk my cash for this so I can't back out heh.

Again It's a very cool ship, just torps what where they thinking?

This ship seems to advertise as as a "sub-cap slayer". I think it lacks the threat against cap ships like the Polaris, and seems weaker against small-medium ships than the Hammerhead.

The Perseus seems to occupy the same role that a wing of Gladiators, Harbingers, and / or Eclipses. I guess this ship offers an alternative playstyle (multi-crew gameplay) for the same role as a couple bombers. 

I guess it all comes down to what proves to be more effective / efficient--a single ship of six people to take down a medium-large ship, or 4-6 people in a mix of bombers and fighters. The many individual ships may require more investment, but my gut feeling is that it might be more versatile and effective.

It really comes down to it's performance and balancing in game. Because of this, I am leaning towards earning this one in game. 

Also, if turrets can be disabled or destroyed, the Perseus may have a particular vulnerability to that level of focus fire. 

I think that the Perseus will work well with other friendly ships in a wolf pack, concentrating fire and bringing large amounts of damage to an unsuspecting target.  I know that most people always assume that each ship needs to be flown solo, but really this game will shine when people bring combined firepower to minimize what the enemy has for options.  This ultimately leads to the target having to choose between the lesser of two evils and in the end it will lose.

MB

I like the Perseus and decided to swap out my Nautilus upgrade for it (and retain a bit of store credit). It looks like it'll punch fairly hard for a 3 person crew. A single Imperium unit could show up with 11 of these! The torps are a bit underwhelming, but I think it's 2 different play styles that are yet to be balanced. I see bombing/torpedo runs as high damage for a short period of time with high resupply requirements, and laser guns are going to be low damage for a long time with low resupply requirements.  Projectile based guns will sit somewhere in between. If well balanced, all types will be useful in different situations. This ship excels at gun gameplay, and has a few bonus torpedos for the bridge to fire if chasing another ship down.

@VoA Hmmm, it looks like those images are of different variations of the interior. The top and bottom are what we've seen during release but those middle images with the Ursa moving down a ramp looks like an earlier discarded version.

Still; it's nice to see how they went through different iterations for the interior before they finally settled on the one where the Ursa now simply gets deployed via elevator instead of a long ramp. That interior is now nice and easy to navigate. I like nice and easy to navigate. :D

Perseus-interior-concept.thumb.png.b3b44c85a8ea42040ab660ab5bb3b545.png

I do like the layout of the Perseus, but I would have to say that it really needs a bit more revision to be efficient.

I think the catwalk between the front and rear sections above the cargo area is a complete waste of space.  If you are going to give us a catwalk, then why don't you just make that entire area more rooms with a hallway.  The cargo will not stack up past the catwalk on the left and right, so they might as well give us an infirmary, small brig, storage, etc.  They also could put the walkway to one side so that cargo could be stacked higher into the cargo lift.  That is my limited input on what I have seen of the ship so far at this stage.

MB

14 hours ago, Danakar Endeel said:

@VoA Hmmm, it looks like those images are of different variations of the interior. The top and bottom are what we've seen during release but those middle images with the Ursa moving down a ramp looks like an earlier discarded version.

Still; it's nice to see how they went through different iterations for the interior before they finally settled on the one where the Ursa now simply gets deployed via elevator instead of a long ramp. That interior is now nice and easy to navigate. I like nice and easy to navigate. :D

Perseus-interior-concept.thumb.png.b3b44c85a8ea42040ab660ab5bb3b545.png

You could be right however - they were from yesterday's video....

11 hours ago, Morgen Black said:

I do like the layout of the Perseus, but I would have to say that it really needs a bit more revision to be efficient.

I think the catwalk between the front and rear sections above the cargo area is a complete waste of space.  If you are going to give us a catwalk, then why don't you just make that entire area more rooms with a hallway.  The cargo will not stack up past the catwalk on the left and right, so they might as well give us an infirmary, small brig, storage, etc.  They also could put the walkway to one side so that cargo could be stacked higher into the cargo lift.  That is my limited input on what I have seen of the ship so far at this stage.

MB

Maybe because you can stack cargo in there around the catwalk (from down below - multiple stacks high) + maybe you want to see your cargo down below.... like in the Carrack?

Polaris Q&A

• Do the Size-7 guns use bespoke ammunition, and how much ammo can the gunboat carry? The brochure’s picture implies dedicated ‘ballistic’ ammo-loaders below the turret: can we customize the rounds to be either high-explosive or armor-penetrating rounds like IRL battle tanks can choose between during battle? Will the Size-7 guns be swappable, or are they locked like on the Ares?
  • The main turret weapons on the Perseus are currently planned to be bespoke S7 ballistics, with customizable ammo types to provide flexibility.

• How far along is this ship? What’s the current stage within the pipeline?
  • The Perseus is at the concept stage and isn’t in production in the vehicle pipeline at this time.

• How heavily is it armored?
  • It’s heavily armored for its size and designed to take a beating from other ships, but it isn’t as strong as a capital ship.

• What are those “pylons” on each side of the ship (right next to the docking collar) supposed to be for?
  • Currently, they’re decorative. It was the rule of cool at the time and in keeping with the aggressive vibe of the ship. Maybe we’ll look at them later and alter them to be more like buffer bars or additional sensor technology.

• What’s the largest ship that the Size-7 guns will be effective against? For example, how effective will they be against larger ships like a Polaris, 890, Idris, or a Javelin if they hit?
  • They’re expected to be effective against all large-size ships. If targeting critical areas on capital ships, they should provide similar effectiveness as the Crusader Ares’ Size-7 weaponry.

• Does it have an armory or weapon racks, medical facilities, and facilities for troop-carrying? Otherwise, what is the point of a patrol ship being able to carry a rover?
  • In lore, the ship was not designed to carry a rover, it’s more a happy accident that it can and is a good representation of the general cargo volume. It has no armory or troop-carrying abilities as that is not its role. Its typical role is fleet defense, so it would rely on other ships in the fleet for its medical needs.

• Is the cargo elevator the only entrance into a landed Perseus, or is there a dedicated entrance for personnel?
  • There is a dedicated personnel entrance located on the bottom of the ship to the rear behind the cargo elevator.

• Why does the exterior appear to have two “doors” whilst only one airlock? Is it meant to only have one airlock (and it was just for symmetry), or does that other side have a function?
  • There is no functionality there and was purely done for symmetry.

• Why is the SCM speed for a 100m ship set at a sedate 92 m/s?
  • The SCM speed is broadly in-line with other ships of its size, class, and weight, particularly given its heavily armored nature. Though, as always, speed will be revisited as the ship progresses through the pipeline.

• Will it have pilot-controlled weapons? Will both big manned turrets be able to link to the pilot via computer blades if the crew gets sick?
  • The pilot will have access to the torpedoes, and some of the other bridge stations will be able to control weapons. Like other ships with manned turrets, they’re designed to be human-operated. However, as a fallback, they will be able to be NPC-crewed or equipped with a computer blade.

• People speculate that this ship will be able to ram enemy ships, as seen in one of the concept-art images. Is this the plan? Will the front feature heavy-duty armor?
  • The concept art depicts the Perseus moving through the wreck of a hammerhead after destroying it, not actually ramming it. Like other ships, it’s capable of it but it’s not recommended nor designed to do so.

• According to the Perseus IAE page, it states: “Nearly identical to the historic military original, get to know the new Perseus.” What makes this Perseus different from the military original, and will players be able to acquire the military original in-game in the future?
  • Regarding the “military original” referenced in the brochure/lore, we wouldn’t ever see the originals, as they are VERY old, predating the Tevarin wars and the Xi’an cold war. The lore does allude to a modern military version, which the in-game model is based on, but this is much the same as the Hornet, the Idris, or any other ship available to players also used by the UEE military. The implication is that the civilian model available to players is a slightly nerfed version of its theoretical military counterpart (‘cause, you know, laws).

• What are the expected weaknesses of the Perseus versus a ship such as the Hammerhead? Specifically, blind spots, speed, armor, etc. And, can the manned turrets turn quickly enough to easily follow fast targets like dogfighters, medium fighters, etc., or do they turn slowly?
  • The big weakness of this ship is a swarm of fighters, so exactly what the hammerhead is designed to combat. It may have two Size-7 turrets, but they aren’t enough to defend against a determined group as they don’t rotate quickly enough to catch anything but larger targets.

• In the brochure, it states that “Twin ballistic Gatling guns can be fully automated or remotely controlled to keep incoming ordnance at bay.” Will it require AI blades to automate these, or is automation part of the ship design as this line of the text seems to imply?
  • These turrets will come equipped with blades, so can be automated by default. In addition, they will be controllable remotely from the bridge if a player wishes to manually control them.

Gallery-1.jpg