Crusader Ares StarFighter

Buckaroo

1 hour ago, CaptainSomar said:

If it’s a solid Vanguard competitor, they’ll have my money immediately. 

I'm thinking the same thing.  If it's either a vanguard or cutlass competitor, I'll be sold on it!  

There's a rumor that it's just a simple small fighter, but there's no supporting information yet so it's anyone's guess.

• 2 weeks later...

There's been a lot of speculation on what the Crusader Ares might be on Spectrum including that it's a heavy fighter that's flight ready (assuming being deployed when 3.8 hits). 

The referenced date 12/12 is this Thursday, and I think CIG just dropped a hint that it's actually coming.  Either that, or they're trolling us hard!  See yesterday's "This Week in Star Citizen" and click on the period (".") at the end of the "On Thursday..." section.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/citizens/17388-This-Week-In-Star-Citizen

image.thumb.png.564f7e7a3d1c5321fd2d759a83a2ae09.png

Clicking that "hidden" link takes you to the following site:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/galactapedia/article/0OaBkLLG1N-crusader-industries

EDIT:  Assuming CIG does release a new ship this Thursday, my guess it'll be available to concierge or high pledge backers first, and then everyone else the following day on Friday, 12/13.  But that would mean the Live broadcast on Friday may contain more info on the ship like they've done in the past.

So, a Crusader Starfighter, huh? There seems to be a consensus that everyone likes the look of the ship so far. One wonders if CIG do these little social media teases to gauge public opinion before setting a final price point. Now if only we could convince the SC community to say how much they hate it to drive the price as low as possible... :)

14 hours ago, Buckaroo said:

Things are getting real...

image.thumb.png.2ab61c8e3cc0e833c8d99f70ff04791d.png

So the Ares will basically be the SC equivalent of the A10 from what this image shows me. I wonder if it's going to be in the same niche as the Vanguard.

Seems there are some additional differences between each variant.

• The ION (white) version has an extra shield+battery+powerplant and a custom S7 energy cannon
  • The INFERNO (black) version has heavier armor (but still medium) and a custom S7 ballistic repeater

Number of missiles is very confusing:

• sale page lists 4xS5 torpedoes
  • brochure lists 4xS5+2x4 S3+2x4 S3 (4 S5 torpedoes and 16 S3 missiles)
  • stats page only lists 2 racks with 2xS3 missiles each. (changed to 4 S5 racks each with 4xS3 missiles but no mention of torpedoes)🤨

Both are $195 Warbond or $220 Store Credit

Ares-stats.thumb.png.0b055fee51cfb34e7f1b36b75b44b682.png

It is $5 cheaper than the Mercury, go figure.  I am probably going to CCU one of my original Super Hornets and get it for $205.

Maybe it might fit inside the hangar of the Polaris, I doubt it but one can hope.

MB

*Edit* After using an original backer Gladiator, then a free Gladiator to Super Hornet CCU, plus a $40 CCU to the Ares Inferno the total came to $190 with LTI. Woot!

3 minutes ago, Morgen Black said:

It is $5 cheaper than the Mercury, go figure.  I am probably going to CCU one of my original Super Hornets and get it for $205.

Maybe it might fit inside the hangar of the Polaris, I doubt it but one can hope.

MB

Yeah, and the same price as the Terrapin. That kinda sucks as I still had a spare Terrapin in one of my UEE Explorer Packs. 

Been trying to figure out the number of missiles as the information is pretty messy. Now that the stats page was changed it appears that it will have 4 S5 hardpoints for missiles.

• two of those hardpoints appear to be 'fixed' (internal?) and each holds 4x S3 missiles
  • the other two hardpoints are 'changeable' (external?) and each holds 4 S3 missiles

So it doesn't look like it will have 4 S5 torpedoes in addition to 16 S3 missiles and looks to be more like there are 2 internal launchers with 4 S3 missiles each and 2 external racks that can either carry 4 S3 missiles each or a single S5 torpedo.

Very confusing but I'm betting that it will have 4 internal hardpoints each with 4 S3 missiles as I can't see any external racks on the underside. What I do see are 4 small panels at the front underside that look like they can open up. So I'm betting there are 4 S3 missiles stored behind each panel.

Planet_Asset_v18_optimized.jpg

o snop   looks great for a carrier is this a large fighter ill get the pack 355 for 2 intead of 195 ea.

Item Price Discount Qty. Total
Add-Ons - Swords of Fortitude Pack - Warbond $355.00 USD -- 2 $710.00 USD

I can see these ships working w a interdiction and mine laying ship.  working as a sniper. or covering a jump point   at range....

4 minutes ago, Painmiester said:

o snop   looks great for a carrier is this a large fighter ill get the pack 355 for 2 intead of 195 ea.

Item Price Discount Qty. Total
Add-Ons - Swords of Fortitude Pack - Warbond $355.00 USD -- 2 $710.00 USD

Isn't that a total of 4 ships since you're buying 2 2-packs?  The 2-pack includes 1 of each, so that's the pitfall if you wanted 2 of 1 version.

I'll probably wait for the Q&A to clarify the missile/torpedo situation, but i'll probably jump on a 2-pack