Tesla CyberTruck

VoA

So I was so impressed with the Tesla CyberTruck I went ahead and put a deposit in on the Tri-Motor AWD with Self Driving.... and can't wait for it to arrive into production late 2021.   Like pledging for Star Citizen........ as a matter of fact check out 5m into this Video....... it looks like the CyberTruck is actually in Arc Corp of Star Citizen :) (it was a VR demo) but the real thing was revealed last evening.

Also looks like a Rover that Anvil would make and it would be awesome if CIG teamed up with Tesla to have it as the Rover for the Carrack instead of the Ursa ;)

It was definitely an interesting presentation for sure, but...I do not care for the lines or look.  I get it, Elon didn't want to go for the conventional truck look, but to me the lines of this truck are unappealing.  Looks like a stainless steel house with it's roof peak off-slanted on wheels, not really streamlined or inventive to me.  Some good stuff inside, and the LED's everywhere are really cool.

That said, I am VERY interested in buying an electric truck someday that can pull a trailer RV up into the Rocky Mountains and use it for camping over the course of a week (which means some way to be able to get there, stay charged, and get back over possibly 400-500 miles.  I've been watching Rivian, Ford, Telsa and anyone else coming out with a good EV truck.  Once one really catches my eye, I'll definitely be giving them my down-payment.

As you know a good portion of people don't like the futuristic look.... however.... as an architect.... I have designed some very traditional houses for people.... yet the magazines on their coffee table show (and what they really long for) is a modern house. Those that go the more traditional route (even Rivian but it is still more forward looking than most) will long for the CyberTruck especially after it proves itself on overland competition routes without suffering much damage.

It already has over 200k PreOrders :)

Does Tesla Already Have Over 200,000 Cybertruck Reservations?

image.png.b365d4142f65601db5b52aea01c826f3.png

NOV 22, 2019 at 8:29AM
+
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

It seems so, and that number could actually be much higher.

Last night's Tesla Cybertruck unveiling event was  ... interesting. At this point, we are still somewhat speechless. We can only imagine how many media organizations and social media shares will point to the event as a failure, in addition to asserting that no one is going to buy this thing.

However, as expected, opinions are very mixed. While some people were floored by how polarizing the Tesla truck is, others fell in love at first sight.

Check Out More Tesla Cybertruck News:

People are already speculating about how many deposits/reservations Tesla has received over the last ~9-10 hours or so. Has the Silicon Valley automaker racked up more pre-orders for the Cybertruck in a matter of hours than Ford has for the Mustang Mach-E thus far?

Let's remember that Tesla received over 400,000 reservations for the Model 3 in a short time. Since then, the electric automaker has gained loads of exposure and become significantly more popular due to the Model 3 itself.

Trucks are considerably more popular than sedans, at least in the US. So, one would assume that it would be easy to top the Model 3 pre-order number. However, being that the truck is so unique and polarizing, many people don't think it will sell well.

Nonetheless, according to several people who are tracking Cybertruck interest and reservations on Twitter, Tesla could already have over 200,000 deposits.

If my @Tesla #Cybertruck order numbers are correct, the internet just pre-ordered...

200,000 trucks tonight

🤯🤯🤯

View image on Twitter

K9rehwQT_normal.jpg

How do you calculate them? Hope you counted mine!

I totally did!

Current order numbers being posted to twitter minus the earlist ones.

Done. comparing RN numbers, my order took a while to go through and i’m already 4000 numbers behind a buddy in Chattanooga who ordered 5 minutes prior!!! #cybertruck #tesla

View image on Twitter

I think order numbers are sequential and starts at 1127______. My order number is 45k and I order within first 5 mins or so. Anyone else? $tsla #Cybertruck #tesla

#cybertruck reserved!! Guessing $TSLA got at least 200,000 reservations last night

View image on Twitter

I am not a big fan and the reveal felt like I was watching an early 80's movie on VHS.  Remember, just because people pre-ordered does not mean they are going to pull the trigger when it is made available to them at time of purchase.  It may be innovative and a new step forward in the truck community but in my book it looks like a futuristic Pontiac Aztek.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I hope that all the owners will be happy with their purchase.

2 hours ago, Zero Null Cero said:

I am not a big fan and the reveal felt like I was watching an early 80's movie on VHS. 

First thing I thought of was the Delorean.   It is okay to not be a fan.... but just curious - did you see Elon's presentation where he shows the history of the Pickup Truck.... and really how little it has change with the truck?  I think it is obvious it is time for an 'upgraded' design :)

3 hours ago, Zero Null Cero said:

Remember, just because people pre-ordered does not mean they are going to pull the trigger when it is made available to them at time of purchase. 

No guarantee but highly likely since this is Elon's Pet project for Tesla that was 7 years in development.   If anything.... if it isn't profitable they'll discontinue it after a few years making those that did purchase them a HUGE profitable financial asset that will appreciate like crazy.   I think even if it is successful it will be one of the rare appreciating vehicles.

It may be innovative and a new step forward in the truck community but in my book it looks like a futuristic Pontiac Aztek. 

LOL that is entirely unfair..... the better selection should be a Delorean not an Aztek (even though the Aztek is more of an off-road vehicle option)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I hope that all the owners will be happy with their purchase.

The Stainless Steel Exoskeleton / Metal Glass / Air Suspension / Towing + Payload Capacity / etc..... will make me a happy Overlander for sure and I'll post here a few years down the road when I get my Tri-Motor AWD / Driverless version :)

Here are Three videos I produced for the Tesla CyberTruck

I actually said on social media that it looked like a cross between an Aztec and a Hummer H1.  I think it'll look awesome when they're actually on the road... like finally, this is the future we've been promised since the 1960s. (But my friend's Aztec years ago was a great tailgating vehicle, looks aside).  Of course, people already think the Model X looks like the Aztec, this is just that to the 10th power.

It seems the reason why they went with non-aerodynamic folds instead of the curves that cars have sported for the past 20 years, is that folds are much easier to mass produce (insert Futurama reference here).  And for a truck, it makes more sense, because any time you don't have the bed covered you just trashed your aero anyways.

As for the pre-orders, $100 is a lot easier than $1000, so I'm not hugely impressed by whatever pre-order number they might have.  I'm not also concerned with getting in line... A) Tesla will scale up manufacturing far quicker than on the Model 3, B] you don't really want an early model anyways, they have the most problems and worst hardware.  Better to let Tesla iterate the design for 6-12 months. And for the CyberTruck, by the time 6-12 months is up they'll have worked through the backlog to the point where anyone who wants one can get one inside of a month.  On the other hand, $100 isn't a huge amount when you're talking about cars/trucks, so go ahead and put the deposit and just don't order until you're ready.

Isn't this going to be really expensive to launch to Mars?

52 minutes ago, Boildown said:

I actually said on social media that it looked like a cross between an Aztec and a Hummer H1.  I think it'll look awesome when they're actually on the road... like finally, this is the future we've been promised since the 1960s. (But my friend's Aztec years ago was a great tailgating vehicle, looks aside).  Of course, people already think the Model X looks like the Aztec, this is just that to the 10th power.

The Hummer is a more appropriate comparison but the Aztec is not..... the reason why is the CyberTruck is not only groundbreaking in its design but also in its material and function (like the H1 was).... but won't die out like the H1 (due to fuel economy).

54 minutes ago, Boildown said:

It seems the reason why they went with non-aerodynamic folds instead of the curves that cars have sported for the past 20 years, is that folds are much easier to mass produce (insert Futurama reference here).  And for a truck, it makes more sense, because any time you don't have the bed covered you just trashed your aero anyways.

Agreed however its shape is still a teardrop shape like an airfoil so it is still Aerodynamic like a Stealth Fighter which Elon used as inspiration in the presentation :)

Image result for stealth fighter image

56 minutes ago, Boildown said:

As for the pre-orders, $100 is a lot easier than $1000, so I'm not hugely impressed by whatever pre-order number they might have.  I'm not also concerned with getting in line... A) Tesla will scale up manufacturing far quicker than on the Model 3, B] you don't really want an early model anyways, they have the most problems and worst hardware.  Better to let Tesla iterate the design for 6-12 months. And for the CyberTruck, by the time 6-12 months is up they'll have worked through the backlog to the point where anyone who wants one can get one inside of a month.  On the other hand, $100 isn't a huge amount when you're talking about cars/trucks, so go ahead and put the deposit and just don't order until you're ready.

The reason why the $100 pre-order deposit is the CyberTruck isn't suppose to be a "luxury" vehicle.... even where some may think the Model 3 is (and the Model S and X obviously are).   The $39.9 price tag is very competitive to all trucks and Elon is not only trying to "introduce" a new truck but to disrupt the entire market including up-ending its competition with Rivian and Bollinger and Atlis (all of which I also considered but not anymore and pulled the trigger on the CyberTruck)

59 minutes ago, Boildown said:

Isn't this going to be really expensive to launch to Mars?

Well the same material is being used on the Space X rockets as you probably know ;)

17 minutes ago, Boildown said:

P.s. Just saw this posted by Reed Timmer: https://www.facebook.com/sean.schofer/videos/10162537752450510

The is consensus on the net why it failed in the demo.   Other experiments vs the truck glass (prior to the livestream) created microfractures in the glass which made it more vulnerable when the steel ball was then thrown at it.   We know it works based on the other drop demo (even in the livestream) where they dropped an object onto it from a height.

1 hour ago, bladeofdeath3 said:

Nice!  Welcome to the Tesla fam!

Ya its my first one :)

My Sister and Brother-in-Law have a Model 3 and Model S.   I actually prefer the minimalism of the Model 3 over the S.   They said that they don't need a truck but pulled the trigger after the Presentation doing their Pre-Order as well :)

I was always concerned about Range.... but the software update improved that including the Tri-Motor AWD goes to 500+miles with a large towing capacity of 14,000 lb and payload of 3,500 lb....... so it meets my need to tow a trailer :)

Here is a good objective Video....

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Gallitin said:

I think it's ugly as hell.  Also not convinced the window breaking was an accident, got everyone talking about it, could have been a marketing tactic?

No - Elon posted a video of all the tests they did earlier that day (including the steel ball) showing that it held up over time earlier during the day.   Many people are commenting on the internet (and I pointed out even in my live video of the unveiling) that repeated hits on it will eventually break it since micro-fractures develop.

As for it being ugly - I never thought it was....... just like I never thought most trucks in general were ugly......... until now you compare the two....... and people are already modding it...

tesla-cybertruck-mods.jpg

Image result for tesla/cybertruck

Now compare it to a "regular" truck.... and you'll see how the "regular truck".... starts to look like the ugly thing from yesteryear ;)

Image result for ford f150

Sorry @Gallitin still think it looks like a truck that is 50+ years old with more bling on it...... and that bling will only get damaged and fall off when you take it off-road.... 😲

Remember also a standard truck is a "Body on Frame" design and it is designed to flex between the cab and the truck bed.   If you are off roading and you hit a big bump its likely that it will cause severe damage.   The traditional "Body on Frame" design also has sever torsion problems and oftentimes time create severe torsonal damage including bending the rear tailgate.   The "Exoskeleton" and 30x Cold Roll Steel won't have any of these problems (or reduce them dramatically) + you don't have to worry about its "bling" falling off or getting scratched or dented as much.

You probably know this........ but the people who pushed the sales of the SUV market are Women because they want to feel safe while transporting kids......... guess what....... the biggest buyers of the Cybertruck it looks like (not enough data yet but enough to pick out trends) are Women.   Another surprising big segment that are buying the Cybertruck are Police Squads which makes sense because they are armored bullet proof cars + its unlikely that you can outrun it with the Tri-Motor at 2.9 sec for 0-60 mph :)

Also - just like I have pledging problems in Star Citizen - I am ordering (2) CyberTrucks since the one I want (the Tri-Motor) isn't available until a year after the Dual Motor is available 😎

6 minutes ago, VoA said:

Also - just like I have pledging problems in Star Citizen - I am ordering (2) CyberTrucks since the one I want (the Tri-Motor) isn't available until a year after the Dual Motor is available 😎

Do what???  That's an expensive purchase, what do you do for a living again?  I need to get into that industry :D

1 hour ago, Gallitin said:

Do what???  That's an expensive purchase, what do you do for a living again?  I need to get into that industry :D

Well its likely that I will trade the Dual Motor in for the Tri Motor when it comes out..... but if my older daughter falls in love with it I might give / sell it to her since she has had her Jeep (2 door Wrangler) for about 6 years now.   We are getting a Jeep (4 door Wrangler) for my younger daughter (didn't get her a car when she hit 16 years old now she is 17.5 years old)... but it could also be a trade off where the older daughter gets the New 4 Door Jeep and the Younger Daughter gets the Dual Motor CyberTruck.   Sorry about the complication.

However...... the $100 deposit is fully refundable and it is easy to back out at any time (so not much risk - however its unlikely we will give up our reservations and follow through with the purchase).    I also think I can sell the Dual Motor when the Tri-Motor is available due to higher demand than Tesla's production capability (yes it will likely appreciate in value).  Stock Market Analyst are now changing their tune as the Internet does a 180...... on the CyberTruck ....... where before people called it Polarizing and Ugly........ to now "Having to Have it" ......... as the Minimalist Design sinks in and they study the Spec / Price more (that blows away the competition).   Even the Other EV's (see video below) - look "Old" and "Just like every other Truck"....... now in comparison.

As for what I do for a living - I am an Architect but have my own firm (primarily focus on Custom Houses) :D

Good news for some (bad unfortunately for the entry level model).   Since the pre-orders were about 40% Tri-Motor / 40% Dual-Motor / 20% Single-Motor - Tesla decided to Move the Tri-Motor up from "a year later"..... to the late 2021 release while the Single-Motor got pushed back a year instead.    This allowed me to cancel our Dual-Motor CyberTruck reservation (since we were going to use it until the Tri-Motor was produced then trade it in).   :)

We know the CyberTruck will be used by a number of Police Departments (some have already ordered them) - so you can see what they might look like in this video + some other rendered options of potentially how this futuristic / Blade-Runner inspired design will permeate our roads in a couple of years... :)

9 hours ago, Maverick said:

Just read that the Cyber Truck can't hit the streets in Europe without some major modification because of safety issues:

https://www.motor1.com/news/387999/tesla-cybertruck-not-certifiable-europe/

Tesla is building Gigafactory 4 in Berlin so I am sure they will have a version (if not the same) that will meet European standards.  

4 hours ago, Boildown said:

There will be plenty more negative concern trolls than this before the production vehicle hits the roads.  Cybertruck will be just fine in Europe, of course that isn't the final design, and I'm not in the slightest bit concerned.

Agreed + there are new facts like Tesla using air-blades as oppose to old windshield wipers to clear the water from the front windshield.   Also apparently the Transparent Aluminum (which was soon invented after it was mentioned in the movie Star Trek 4 - they used it to house the whale in the ship) also sheds water better than regular glass.

++++

Here are a few recent videos of mine that I just produced.....