Voice Chat?

SchockRazor

So as I saw the livestream I was wondering how the communications work... I am not sure if there will be some kind of Voice Chat, but if it would be so it would be AWESOME! 

Imagine:

You are flying through outer space and suddenly you get a Voice Message where someone asks for help because he hasnt any fuel left... or you connect to the ships of your friends and you are talking while you are exploring or fighting...

I think it would be great! 

But what do you think?

I think it should be some sort of radio where you have a frequency for your group. Enemies may be able to "hack" into your frequency and listen to your radio chatter. This radio would get better or worse depending on the distance and the equipment you have installed. On bigger ships it is more than important to have something to make communication between crew members possible.

I think it should be some sort of radio where you have a frequency for your group. Enemies may be able to "hack" into your frequency and listen to your radio chatter. This radio would get better or worse depending on the distance and the equipment you have installed. On bigger ships it is more than important to have something to make communication between crew members possible.

Awesome! That is really AWESOME!

It would be also cool if you have on larger ships speakers! So if you are the pilot of the Idris and you need help from someone who is at the kitchen you could simply press a button and say it! 

Awesome! That is really AWESOME!

It would be also cool if you have on larger ships speakers! So if you are the pilot of the Idris and you need help from someone who is at the kitchen you could simply press a button and say it! 

Not only speakers but something like  walkie-talkies for the crew members to communicate with each other.

Not only speakers but something like  walkie-talkies for the crew members to communicate with each other.

Yeah something like a comm-link..

Oh got a great idea:

Perhaps also communication on larger ships with (ship to ship communication) a holopad? like:

Posted Image

So that you can see the character of the person who are you speaking with?

Link to picture: http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u351/halfback28000/ersgegesg.jpg

The CCC module that was just announced as a stretch goal might be a huge part of communications during battle.

I assume you will be able to mark points in space and targets with that for specific groups.

Like:

Wing A defend friendly spacestation

Bombers Wing B and C attack enemy Idris

Fighter Wing D move to Jumppoint

Fighter Wing E defend Bombers C and C

This is speculation of course.

In addition to that our main communications channel will be teamspeak. Unless there is an equally efficient ingame voicechat. 

Any body knows about a feature like voice over IP or so? 

This hasn't been decided yet afaik. Many games have tried to do voicechat in the past. And alot of times professional gamers just deactivated that one and used teamspeak instead. It just isn't a small task to incorporate a complete voicechat in your game with alot of features. And the folks at CIG certainly have many more important things on their list first.

A scenario that I think could be possible though:

Have an ingame voicechat that you use for close encounters in space. Lets assume you encounter a pirate 1 vs one and want to discuss terms of surrender. It might be very nice if there is a voicechat to do so. Btw. surrender of the pirate of course -).

For large group communications inside Imperium you would then still use teamspeak.