VoA

RSI Mantis

1 hour ago, Buckaroo said:

I could see the Cutlass BLUE as a great example of a ship getting this QT disruptor too as it's a Police/Bounty Hunter ship.

Yeah, the Cutlass Blue would have been a great example indeed which is why I had hoped this jamming device would have been a module that could be fitted to other ships and in doing so give people more choice in loadouts instead of locking it down to specific ships. I would have preferred it if my ships' loadout customization allowed for more options and choice instead of one-trick-pony ships that can never do anything else.

2 hours ago, VoA said:

I am expecting it to be less than $150 since it is a specialized ship without much Armament.    Compare it to the Warlock as an example but a QE device is more powerful and requires (probably) more power / components / etc.... than an EMP device.

Based on the revealed pic, the Mantis is Cutlass-sized, so $150 is possible -- because if RSI produced a Cutlass-close, it would probably be priced $150 because of RSI's higher standards. However, I think the QJ Inhibitor will drive the price up significantly, like +$100. That's why I predicted $250.

I agree that the Warlock is the closest analog to the Mantis, and it's only $25 more than the Avenger Stalker. However, the EMP isn't that effective because of its limited range and charge time. Whereas the Mantis' QJ inhibitor field has a much larger area of effect and ships (probably) won't have any forewarning that they're jumping into a QJ snare until it happens. I think the Mantis is going to be more effective in its role than the Warlock, so its price will be inflated significantly.

My genuine concern is that the PU will become lousy with Mantises. I hope that CIG makes the Mantis concept sale into an Arena Commander event, similar to what they did with the Esperia Glaive. Players should have to complete a Pirate Swarm match to unlock the Mantis in the Pledge Store, then they can buy it. And it should be restricted to one Mantis per account, so whales can't buy 10 Mantises for their Pirate Org. I think that's the best way to make the Mantis rare but also fair, because they'd have to be earned through playing the game.

2 minutes ago, Reavern said:

Players should have to complete a Pirate Swarm match to unlock the Mantis in the Pledge Store, then they can buy it. And it should be restricted to one Mantis per account, so whales can't buy 10 Mantises for their Pirate Org. I think that's the best way to make the Mantis rare but also fair, because they'd have to be earned through playing the game.

Heh heh, I can only imagine the outrage as it appears that the last wave of Pirate Swarm now has the player going up against a Hammerhead corvette which is almost impossible to kill due to its insane shield regeneration. :P

23 minutes ago, Reavern said:

My genuine concern is that the PU will become lousy with Mantises. 

Ar that point CIG will nerf the QJ disruption to oblivion ...

After the Starfarer infamous QD fuel trick (not mentioning what happened the vanguard) I'm done with pledging on promises about what a ship "could" do in the future. 

23 minutes ago, GRIZZ said:

tavern_upload_large.png

Agree with you and @Danakar Endeel that it is a good combo......... but no one seemed to comment on my idea of pairing the Mantis with a Nautilus (think snaring someone with QE in the middle of a minefield would be pretty nasty)   Good way to set up a defense vs a Vanduul incursion.

Just now, Metternich70 said:

Ar that point CIG will nerf the QJ disruption to oblivion ...

After the Starfarer infamous QD fuel trick (not mentioning what happened the vanguard) I'm done with pledging on promises about what a ship "could" do in the future. 

Eh.... not to concerned - Space is a large area and 10+k Kilometers is big but still relatively small....... same goes with a minefield but I personally think the Mines will be a harder feature to balance than QE.

7 hours ago, Danakar Endeel said:

Heh heh, I can only imagine the outrage as it appears that the last wave of Pirate Swarm now has the player going up against a Hammerhead corvette which is almost impossible to kill due to its insane shield regeneration. :P

The Hammerhead isn't invincible, it just means you have to choose the right ship for Pirate Swarm. It's really about the right combination of ships and teamwork, which should be what Pirate Swarm Co-op is all about. If a group of players completed Pirate Swarm together and unlocked the Mantis, ideally the same group would fly the Mantis together in the PU. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mantis ends up encouraging Org Play more than any ship so far. It remains to be seen if it will be a net positive or negative change for the PU.

Even if they used the Mantis for griefing, I'm in favour of team-centric gameplay. And I prefer the idea of players needing to earn the right to purchase the Mantis rather than anyone being able to buy it.

Regardless, I know that CIG isn't going to make it a competition for the Mantis. The Esperia Glaive was a rare prize, so a competition to unlock it made sense. Also, the Glaive couldn't be considered P2W because it is not competitive in AC; on the contrary, flying a Glaive (or a Scythe) is a severe handicap.

Whereas the Mantis is unsuitable as a prize ship because it features a long-awaited game mechanic, which a lot of players desperately want. Locking the Mantis behind a skill wall wouldn't be popular in the SC community. I'm certain that CIG wants to sell as many Mantises as possible, so (ironically) the only barrier for entry will be the price point.

On 9/24/2019 at 4:47 PM, Shifty said:

latest?cb=20160118064248

In Star Wars: Rebellion, when you get this or the Rebellion equivalent, you just about won the game.  Preventing the opponent from leaving a fight they can't win is how you make them lose.

My problem with interdiction in Star Citizen is both the trolling potential and the "who gets the boring job" potential, the one person forced to fly the Mantis, sit out of weapons range, whose sole job is to stay alive, not risk taking any damage ever, and prevent the opponent from leaving the fight. 

I'm curious if CIG has considered counters other than blowing up the Mantis available to the interdicted. Does the Mantis even need to launch from the Polaris to interdict? Or can it sit safely behind those capital class shields?

I think standard practice will likely be to never quantum straight to your destination, always free-quantum slightly off so that you miss any interdiction fields set up, then quantum back to the destination when you're close.  Space is just too big to pull people out of quantum when this tactic is available.  My objections are limited to preventing quantum travel by ships already out of quantum.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/17270-Q-A-RSI-Mantis

Q&A: RSI Mantis

Following the reveal of the Mantis from Roberts Space Industries, we took your community-voted questions to our designers to provide you with more information on the recently unveiled Quantum Enforcement ship.

Will we be able to fit interdiction devices to other ships?

In the future, yes, though quantum enforcement devices (QED) are not currently equippable by other player-flyable ships. When available, QEDs will be equipped via the utility item ports. However, they won’t be as powerful as the units built into ships such as the Mantis and may require compromises to loadout. They will also be used by various AI ships and security forces to interrupt player quantum travel

Will we gain a crime-stat for pulling people/criminals out of quantum travel?
RSI_Mantis_Interdiction_092019.jpg

It will be illegal to use a QED within certain jurisdictions, though it won’t affect crime-stat at the release of the Mantis.

Why would the UEE allow such a ship to be sold to regular civilians? If interdiction devices are illegal, how is RSI selling them?

Just as UEE civilians have access to heavy offensive weaponry, they have access to QEDs for personal protection and for use in careers that support the Advocacy and navy. The hope is that we’ll be able to create situations where the use of interdiction is sanctioned, such as working within a security force or defending a homestead from pirates.

What will the counter to this new feature be?

For its initial release, the QED uses power usually allocated to the Mantis’ other systems, such as shields, thrusters, and weapons. Along with this heavy power requirement, a long cooldown period ensures that QEDs aren’t constantly generating snares around the universe. Eventually, greater restrictions around green zones and increased law enforcement patrols will mitigate overuse.

Longer term, there are plans to give players the opportunity to escape interdiction by dynamically adjusting their quantum drives. For example, adjusting velocity would, in turn, require the interdictor to adjust their behavior.

Do you plan to allow more flexibility with quantum travel so that we can better avoid the main travel lanes? Like quantum traveling in any direction without first setting a destination?

While being able to create safer routes on your own is a planned feature, it’s not scheduled with the release of the Mantis. Currently, connecting existing quantum nav-points will be your best bet at avoiding a quantum snare.

The player-versus-player (PvP) implications are obvious, but what examples of player-versus-environment (PvE) gameplay for the Mantis can you give us?

You’ll be able to interdict any passing AI unlucky enough to get caught by the QED, giving you potential targets to attack whenever it’s used.

When you fire off your interdiction device, will it negatively impact your allies too?

RSI_Mantis_Hangar_092019.jpg

Anyone caught by a QED will be pulled out of quantum travel and be unable to initiate it again for a short period, be they friend or foe.

Is the RSI Mantis designed to fit inside the hangar of the Polaris? Any details on which ships it can fit in?

The Mantis was not designed to fit inside the hangar of the Polaris. The Aegis Sabre was planned to be the upper limit of the Polaris’ capacity and, as such, the Mantis is too long and tall. However, once the Polaris goes into production, we’ll look at its hangar size (like we did with the 890J) and potentially bring it up to the standard landing pad metrics, which would allow the Mantis and other ships to land properly.

Will it have a bed, toilet, or living space inside?

There is both a bed and toilet to ease the burden of long quantum-travel-related activities.

Is Interdiction gameplay complete, or will there be more iteration on the mechanic?

As with many features as complex as interdiction, the first implementation you see in our game is never the last, and is frequently subject to change. Players already experienced an early version of interdiction via NPCs in 3.6, and this is the very first implementation for player interdiction. It will definitely improve and be iterated on over time, and we intend to make those improvements fairly quickly. Specifically, we expect to make the following improvements to interdiction over the coming patches:

• More aggressive law enforcement response to the activation of such devices in prohibited zones
  • Law enforcement dialogue related to the various infractions
  • Dialogue to support a variety of NPC character types that have been pulled from QT
  • Larger area of interdiction
  • Improved tracking of ships that have been pulled from QT
  • Mission content involving interdiction/QT-dampening devices

As we gain visibility on expected delivery, we’ll update the Public Roadmap accordingly so you can follow along with development and track the progress.

Will the disruption field work inside a ship? Like, if it’s activated inside a Polaris, will it still work as if it was outside the hangar?

No. The disruption field will not fire correctly when the Mantis is inside another ship.

Can an EMP disable the interdiction bubbles set off by the mantis?

Not directly, though an EMP should disrupt the Mantis’ power plant long enough to prevent the QED from functioning.

What does an interdiction cost for a mantis pilot? Fuel, energy drain, crime-stat, time?

A QED requires a lot of energy and generates a lot of heat, so it isn’t a very stealthy weapon. When jurisdiction laws are enabled, crime-stat increase and direct retaliation by law enforcement will be the cost.

Will there be a size limitation to the ships the RSI mantis can stop?

In its first implementation, it will be able to stop any ship of any size. As we iterate on the feature and develop more versions of QED, we’ll determine the ‘QED to quantum drive size‘ balance.

Is there any cargo capacity on the RSI Mantis?

RSI_Mantis_Space_092019.jpg

The Mantis has no cargo capacity. Players planning to ambush cargo-laden ships should consider bringing support.

Is the Mantis immune to its own interdiction effects?

A QED prevents quantum travel for all ships in its effective zone, including the ship that fired it.

What’s the cooldown on using the device?

While we’re still balancing the QED, expect a cooldown of at least several minutes.

END TRANSMISSION

Great Q&A and great answers to all....

I mentioned in our Blood Moon meeting that I don't think the QED would work inside another ship......... but then we theorycrafted about it being used on the deck of another ship.... like a Kraken and that isn't clear yet.

As I mentioned...... I didn't think I would get this ship until I theory-crafted its paring with a Nautilus and pulling someone with QED into a minefield......... then...... I thought....... mmm.... time to ambush some pirates that way 😈

Will the disruption field work inside a ship? Like, if it’s activated inside a Polaris, will it still work as if it was outside the hangar?

No. The disruption field will not fire correctly when the Mantis is inside another ship.

32 minutes ago, VoA said:

Great Q&A and great answers to all....

I mentioned in our Blood Moon meeting that I don't think the QED would work inside another ship......... but then we theorycrafted about it being used on the deck of another ship.... like a Kraken and that isn't clear yet.

As I mentioned...... I didn't think I would get this ship until I theory-crafted its paring with a Nautilus and pulling someone with QED into a minefield......... then...... I thought....... mmm.... time to ambush some pirates that way 😈

Shucks, there goes that theory...

The devs showing the ship ingame is a nice move indeed.

I like the new RSI cockpit design. The "struts, but not in the middle of your face" approach works somehow.
I hope they rework the Constellation in this way ... and I hope they keep the Polaris as it is 😁

Yeah, the price isn't bad for a specialized small ship. 

Looking at Ship Upgrades, you cannot upgrade to this ship except from an Aurora (buying one of the specialized upgrade options).

1 hour ago, Buckaroo said:

Yeah, the price isn't bad for a specialized small ship. 

Looking at Ship Upgrades, you cannot upgrade to this ship except from an Aurora (buying one of the specialized upgrade options).

After no LTI except for warbonds, this is the new way CIG is going to piss off backers: selective CCUs (but with LTI)

I closed my wallet quite a long ago. And I'm happy I did.

PS: if you want to buy anything, wait ... CIG site is a mess right now

On 9/26/2019 at 9:15 AM, VoA said:

I am expecting it to be less than $150 since it is a specialized ship without much Armament.    Compare it to the Warlock as an example but a QE device is more powerful and requires (probably) more power / components / etc.... than an EMP device.

We'll see soon

First time I was SPOT ON 🤑

++++++++++

RSI's webpage is down ATM but was thinking if it makes sense to buy an Aura and then CCU to the Mantis to get the free flight suits?

4 hours ago, VoA said:

RSI's webpage is down ATM but was thinking if it makes sense to buy an Aura and then CCU to the Mantis to get the free flight suits?

The Upgrade is only "worth it" if you have a discount Aurora.
The price of an Aurora plus the correct upgrade equals 135$ so at this point you can simply buy the warbond edition which also includes the suite.

3 hours ago, Shifty said:

The Upgrade is only "worth it" if you have a discount Aurora.
The price of an Aurora plus the correct upgrade equals 135$ so at this point you can simply buy the warbond edition which also includes the suite.

Nope ----->>> Had Dragonfly ($40) ---->> Bought CCU from Dragonfly to Aurora CL ($5) --->> Bought CCU from Aurora CL to Mantis ($90) ==== $135 Price for Mantis (minus the $40 already invested in Dragonfly) ===== $95 Purchase for a Mantis (matches Warbond Price) ++ get the Flight Suit and Helmet as Perks :)

------------------------------------

Thus No reason to buy Non-Warbond Mantis ....... if you can CCU or buy back a cheap token ship to CCU to Aurora then Mantis ;)

On 10/12/2019 at 3:22 AM, VoA said:

Nope ----->>> Had Dragonfly ($40) ---->> Bought CCU from Dragonfly to Aurora CL ($5) --->> Bought CCU from Aurora CL to Mantis ($90) ==== $135 Price for Mantis (minus the $40 already invested in Dragonfly) ===== $95 Purchase for a Mantis (matches Warbond Price) ++ get the Flight Suit and Helmet as Perks :)

------------------------------------

Thus No reason to buy Non-Warbond Mantis ....... if you can CCU or buy back a cheap token ship to CCU to Aurora then Mantis ;)

As I said "the Upgrade is only "worth it" if you have a discount Aurora."