VoA

The actual health of the Cutlass and others..

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/65294/thread/the-actual-health-of-the-cutlass-and-others/2386834

Developer.png
TEAMTECHD-Thumbnail.png
STAFF
JCrewe CIG@JCrewe_CIG

The actual health of the Cutlass and others..

Discussion
Today at 4:19 am
Cutlass
Seeing as its been a big debate topic recently I thought I'd chime in with some additional data. Originally I wasn't planning to do this as it just adds another set of data into the noise (which will almost certainly become outdated in a patch or twos time and then banded around for years to come) but given the amount of discourse that has happened I thought I would add this.

The ingame maximum hp values of the Drake ships in 3.6.2 LIVE and as always, all stats are subject to change...
  • Dragonfly - 2150
  • Buccaneer - 3400
  • Herald - 3380
  • Cutlass - 20600
  • Caterpillar - 30800

• Vanguard - 25200
  • Freelancer - 19200
The reason I say maximum hp because of the way ships are setup they can die before they take that much damage as we do not have the concept of a global health pool per ship. The amount which the ship can "die" at varies per ship (and is generally driven by the art due to how parts can split) but generally its one or more critical parts of the ship and that behaviour is not unique to Drake ships. Comparing max HP against max HP does not give a fair comparison until you know the hp of the individual parts of the ships which cause these destruction states. As you can see just comparing these numbers flat shows the Cutlass is stronger than the Freelancer...

From these numbers its clear the Herald is an outlier so we'd look to balance that in 3.7 and perhaps the Vanguard is a little too strong, but again it has a lot of hp on parts that detach (such as the tails) that aren't entirely critical to functionality.

This health setup is also not the end game setup, physically based damage will replace this completely and the balance of these numbers is an interim measure until that point. The balance of these is fluid and changing every patch. In an upcoming patch we plan to do a fairly widescale change to the HP values to merge them together now we can make damage inherit up a skeleton better.

For example, currently you could have a ship that splits in two on death and due to its setup you cant allow it to split before death. Each part has 500hp which would display as 1000hp total, but in reality you could focus fire on one half and kill it with 500dmg, or you could focus equally on both and it would take 501-1000dmg to kill. Clearly this isn't ideal for balance hence the changes we'll be making in the future and the big push towards physically based damage to remove this more arcade mechanic from the game.