sooooo on a scale of yes it needs to happen to not gonna happen, do you think we can eventually refit ships to different roles?

lets say take the terrapin and make it a cozy little mobile apartment?

i would like to see a hull-e as a floating space port honestly

If you're asking whether ships can be entirely refitted and re-purposed to fulfill a different role or add adding different components onto it, the answer so far has been "Maybe?" with raised voice and shrugged shoulders.

CIG has mentioned that several ships will have kits that can be interchanged and that components can be added or swapped out, but I doubt it will be anything that can drastically alter something. We likely won't be able to weld metal sheets onto ships to create a jerry-rigged plate armor or something like that. But your example of gutting a Terrapin and putting in things to turn it into an RV, a UHaul or a taco truck might be in the realm of possibility.

It all depends on what the game can handle.

ya when the hull series first came out they were mentioning you can make a hull-e into a flaoting city with habitation pods, hangers, added turrets and so on, i WOULD love that to happen so i got one and iam holding onto that dream, for the terrapin, deff now gonna turn it into a taco trcuk....yup gonna do it. lolololol

not so much adding cool mad max armor and stuff but lets say take a carrack and instead of exploration turn it into a heavy heavy fighter/support? maybe? or better yet remove the top turret on the warden, not a fan of it, or maybe lower it and enslave it to the pilot?

The closest thing to what you're talking about is the Endeavor, with it's detachable bride/landing module, and its main body swap-able modules, that include everything from science labs, hospital units, agricultural domes, and ship tuning (applied physics labs), to yes, a landing bay for small/medium sized ships (Cutlass - confirmed to fit, Freelancer - probably fits, Connie - maybe fits, Carrack - extremely improbable, Javelin - are you smoking crack?)

roger that seems fair enough

you think we are gonna be able to paint our ships? and slap on logos? or did i miss that somewhere in the verse shows lol

This is a question that pops up every now and then.
It's likely some ships will have a little adjustability to fit certain roles, think of some ships having points for tractor beams or a certain amount of cargohold so you can use it as a cargo vessel, be it a non-dedicated hauler...  but I highly, HIGHLY doubt CIG will ever give us a jack-of-all-trades ship that can do everything. Ships are the lifeblood, not just of the game but of the project as a whole right now.

I still don't fully understand why people want to buy a ship that is meant for mechanic A... and then go around asking if there is a way to turn it into a ship for mechanic B or C. Turning cargoships into gunboats, turning gunboats into cargoships, turning cargoships into carriers.. etc.
Is it just because they don't ever want to get another ship? Isn't getting more ships the whole point of the game?

With all the information we have now, and how CIG has been doing things, even if you're going to be able to modify a ship to a certain degree, it won't be nearly as effective as just getting a ship meant for it's purpose... and if CIG ever would release a ship that can do everything, it would hurt the game, and potentially the project, in the long run

12 hours ago, Fizzlefuse said:

Turning cargoships into gunboats, turning gunboats into cargoships, turning cargoships into carriers.. etc.

Is it just because they don't ever want to get another ship? Isn't getting more ships the whole point of the game?

There actually IS a valid reason for some (maybe not all, but some) of this discussion.  The practice of arming a cargo ship, and turning it into a military vessel (usually one that still looks like a cargo ship on the outside) is a time-honored military tradition, meant to lure in enemy vessels, commerce raiders, and pirates into attacking a ship that ostensibly still looks like a cargo ship ripe for the taking, but secretly has enough teeth to hold off an enemy ship until help arrives (or better yet, defeat the enemy all by itself). 

One of the best known examples of this concept were the Q-Ships of WW I & WW II fame (although actually the concept existed long before then).

so one of the main reason i bought 2 hull-es was Arcanus's point, they stated a hull-e was used in the Uee fleet as a capital ship with living pods hangers and such and also it will be able to refit with living pods, extra turrets and such if we chose too, i LOVE the idea of being able to have a ship that i can "pimp" out to my discretion, that would be super cool! but i would have to man it and it would be one of those "end" game or super company ships.

i can see your point Forum Lurker, it can be game breaking, but still would be super awesome to make a terrapin into a taco truck, cause there end goal is to take life and put it in space cause of immersion right? then let me have my taco truck ;) or not either way this is gonna be fun :