GodZe

The end of $0 CCU

Early yet, but a double handful of unhappy people.

Premise is simple. CIG was willing to try something that looked promising for people to play around with. It was vastly overused by some people (or under planned by them) and seemed to cause them unwanted database service and maintenance issues (assuming it is in the hanger DB). After not one, but two, cool off periods, they are finally pulling the plug. Use it or lose it.

It is their game and house rules apply. The rules are whatever they say they are. Some people seem to be offended by this which is to be expected in any transaction service change. Offended or not the point still stands, it is their house and house rules are whatever they say they are.

Not everyone is making gray market sales or treating fleet ownership as a marketing tool. Nor do most people flip ships around with any regularity (if they are currently playing at all). The amount of people who feel this is hurting them is going to be rather small. I am confident CIG took this into account in making the final decision to move ahead and give an ironclad use by date.

The real mystery is how people seem so surprised about this announcement. It has been announced for 2 years. Lot of time to sort things out, or did they think if it was ignored that CIG would forget what they said they were going to do?

Also amazing is how so many people see Star Citizen as more than just a game. If some of the comments are to be believed, it is more important than anything else in their lives. Or in fact their reason to exist. I suppose the argument can be made that a Real Gamer does not have a life outside the screen (Ready Player One as an example). If that is the case, then I confess to not being a Real Gamer.

No matter. The decision has been made, CIG apparently believes the player base using $0 CCU is not significant enough to bow to.

Use the $0 CCU or lose it. - DRUM out

Ah well, it was fun while it lasted but in my opinion it's good for CIG to invalidate those old $0 CCUs as some people abused it a lot by gaming the system with thousands of $0 CCUs stocked up and giving themselves several hundreds of dollars in extra discounts. 

I'm also to blame for 'gaming the system' a little bit but only used them a few times myself as I recall. Once with a $0 Redeemer-to-BMM CCUs so I could give myself a $100 discount on a Hammerhead and that's the single time I gave myself such a big discount. The other times I used them was for minor stuff like using a $0 Kore-to-Tana CCU after the Kore had gone up from $50 to $65 and I was allowed to get a Tana CCU for $0, and then once to turn a $350 Carrack in one of my UEE Explorer Packs to a $350 Reclaimer while I turned another $350 Carrack from another UEE Explorer Pack into a $350 Hull-D. :)

So I'm personally not too miffed about it but some people over on Spectrum appear to be going completely batshit crazy over it. Time for people to get the lead out and use 'em or lose 'em. We all knew it was going to happen at some point since the initial announcement back in May 2017 so I have no clue why some people go full retard over it all of a sudden. :P

28 minutes ago, Snakebyte said:

Oh, well, time to put the 4 year old CCU tracker to use..

The top is a bit messy, as I'm in the midst of changing my mind....again...

I have to blur mine because I keep personal notes and UID numbers in it, but heres the top quarter.  342 Rows in this page.  Multiple Pages because every time I rearranged my CCU's for better savings I'll save it in case i need to go back.

postitnote.thumb.JPG.99d2a3913c65cb43fa9ca2d1976349c6.JPG

Red is "Delete for store credit"

Magenta are the $0 CCU's used in ship building, so all my ships are affected.  I could apply up to the $0 CCU's but I'm tired of not flying my Reclaimer despite "owning" one. 

So out of the 209 $0 CCU's, I am only using 5.

List of $0 CCUs that have value.

renderTimingPixel.png

Despite my distaste with the decision, plans must be made, and I imagine other people might benefit from the research I've done into my own limited (5 each) collection of $0 CCUs.

Many of these $0 CCUs were already removed from availability, so if you don't already have them, this will be of limited use, but check your hangar and you may find a useful swap.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

From Ship To ship Value Difference
Hornet Tracker Freelancer Max $10
Hornet Ghost Freelancer Dur $10
350R Freelancer Dur $10
Retaliator Bomber Constellation Aquila $35
Vanguard Warden Merchantman $100
Redeemer Merchantman $100

These are $ 0CCUs which go from currently purchasable ships to limited ships which are not regularly available. Again, if you don't already have these in your hangar, they are unavailable.

Available Ship Limited Ship Pledge Level
Aurora LN Dragonfly Black $35
Avenger Titan 85X $50
Gladius Hull B $90
Cutlass Black M50 $100
Hornet Buccaneer $110
Freelancer Buccaneer $110
Hornet Gladius Valiant $110
Freelancer Gladius Valiant $110
Constellation Taurus Cutlass Blue $150
Constellation Andromeda Vanguard Hoplite $225

I hope this information helps people get the most out of their freedom of choice before it is decreased by CIG's decision.

I don't own all the $0 CCUs that were ever available, so if you have information to add to these charts, please post it and I will do my best to add it.

Thank you

Posted by 31 minutes ago

4 hours ago, Drum said:

Also amazing is how so many people see Star Citizen as more than just a game. If some of the comments are to be believed, it is more important than anything else in their lives. Or in fact their reason to exist. I suppose the argument can be made that a Real Gamer does not have a life outside the screen (Ready Player One as an example).

Because in the increasingly neo-feudal late capitalist hellscape we're living in people have little else to look forward to other than death and the partaking of distractions to entertain themselves until the seas consume us. Anything which burdens or causes stress to us is now also pressing on that part of our brain aware of our hastening doom, and the desire for preservation kicks in.

And like you mentioned, CIG wouldn't be doing this if they didn't have lots of data pointing to the $0 CCU market not being too large.

See, the problem with CIG doing this, or restricting what we can buy at all, is that the game is still being made and via the Time Value of Money, those of us who backed early were the most valuable backers to CIG, yet (after this is done) they'll be treating us the worst.

What CIG should do is allow us to freely distribute our money to whatever ship we want at any time, only freezing our decisions when the game comes out.  If you contributed $45, you should be able to pick $45 of ships and switch between any ships whose value totals $45 or less, at any time.  If you contributed $450, you should be able to pick $450 of ships and switch between any ships whose value totals $450 or less, at any time.  If you contributed $4500, you should be able to pick $4500 of ships and switch between any ships whose value totals $4500 or less, at any time.  I.e. there should be no restrictions on what Store Credit can buy.

Additionally, and to clarify, if you pledged new money towards a ship that later goes up in price, you should be able to get that ship at the original price any time you want to get it back with store credit.

If they do this, they can basically eliminate the grey market.  Don't allow people to trade ships, only trade store credit.  The artificial scarcity of the ships creates the grey market, they should do away with the scarcity outside of the Idris/Javelin exceptions.

If they did this, people would pledge more, not less.  I don't get a lot of ships I'm not sure about because I don't want to commit money towards something that I know will be difficult and semi-permanent to change later.  After this change, it'll be a lot more permanent than before.  The permanency of decisions you get "in exchange" for backing early rather than late discourages backing more money at all.  Before, I could console myself with the $0 CCUs I stockpiled, knowing that I could still get out of jail free.  Now?  Now I"m going to keep a lot more of my money in my pocket.

P.s.  Thanks for the heads up on this.  Might have a few decisions to make, not sure, have to check my hangar.  Glad I took the actions this past anniversary sale when I did.

It is pissing me of the fact that CIG allow people who do the wholesale, but aren't intrested in SC. Again nothing it true with CIG. going back and deleting $0 CCU. CIG are acting more and more like EA. Why don't they put a limit on the number of CCUs (per ship type) 1-2 max. They could easily have changed the giftable from the ships to be removed. I give up ages ago, no point in me arguing when it falls on dear ears.

Again, selling concept ships and don't tell us anything about it is great. Even best waiting for weeks after they stop selling to answer a Q&A totally awesome!

On 3/29/2019 at 1:23 AM, Devil Khan said:

Again nothing it true with CIG. going back and deleting $0 CCU. CIG are acting more and more like EA.

Yeah....No. CIG allowing you to get an in-game ship as a reward for backing the game, then changing things around in-game for balance/flight/mechanics is not acting like Electronic Arts and their predatory lootbox and microtransaction practices. CIG allowing people to melt pledges for credit and use that to get other rewards/ships also is not like EA. Basically, CIG is nothing like EA, and the only people who claim that they are tend to be people who have zero idea what the words "parallel" or "comparatively" actually mean.  

CIG is getting rid of the $0 CCUs, most likely, because tons of grey marketers are out there with hundreds or thousands of these CCUs sitting in their accounts. This is how they've been able to sell prime ships "cheaper than CIG" and still make profits. When you add to that the fact that CIG's system for upgrades doesn't account for the money, but the retail value of the ship in-hangar, then you see how easily this system is abused by people who want to give themselves a "discount" simply by having a $0 CCU.

CIG said this would be gone a long time ago. They're finally getting rid of it. Good. I have some $0 CCUs in my hangar that I may apply, or may not apply. I haven't decided yet. If I do apply them, I'll probably "get a discount", cool. If I wait too long and have to pay for a CCU later that I used to have as a $0, oh well. 

CIG is, by far, the most pro-consumer/backer company out there. Don't conflate them with vultures like EA. All that does is show the weaknesses of your arguments and the insanity of your snowflakedness. 

Actually, EA would kill to have used ships in their games as monetary value.

For example: The current 890 is 890, the original value was 650. The increase was before (years before) the ship even had it's post concept work. The CIG fault about the willingness to have a grey market. 

They are not the best "pro-consumer" by far. pro-consumer would have released the full ship specs and layout before starting on sale without any stats at all.

Like I said, every major company is several branches, This one, the business/marketing, is just as bad as EAs business side, nothing to do with devs.

This isn't the first time that CCUs has been taken. It's sad to say the grey market is the few who are hurting the many. 

I have none of them in my bag, but - if I recall correctly - 0 money CCUs were meant to let backers choose alternatives since ships stasts were still subject to changes. 

Ships stats still are subject to changes and they take away CCU, so that ... either they lied before or changed their mind now about the status of backers: odds is that now it will be more difficult for them - under a legal point of wiev - to maintain that a customer is just a pledger that did not purchase a certain ship.

The grey market argument is not very strong in my opinion, since - instead of wiping all the CCUs of all players - they could act more surgically since they perfectly know how many (and which) CCUs each backer has in its inventory

More likely they are scratching the floor of the barrel to get every possible money from future sales.

2 hours ago, Metternich70 said:

if I recall correctly - 0 money CCUs were meant to let backers choose alternatives since ships stasts were still subject to changes.

That is incorrect. The point of the $0 CCUs was for people to be able to switch to a different ship of a different type independent of ship stats. There's no way to be able to know what the ship's stats can or would be. It was designed so if you had a $110 Freelancer, but decided you didn't think you'd want to haul, you'd be able to get a $110 combat ship without needing to pay more money. They REMOVED the $0 CCU option almost two years ago from the store, and the ONLY $0 CCUs left are from people who grabbed a ton of them before CIG removed them from being able to be gotten.

As to thinking that the "Grey Market" argument is thin, consider that people literally grabbed hundreds of these $0 CCUs. What other purpose would they have if not to use that to game the "discount" system for some form of purpose? If you check grey market posts that list the values of different ships in their melt value, you'll probably find that a ton of them are ships that have a melt value far below the "retail value" of the ship. Hell there have been reddit posts I've seen where people advertise "Get your $350 Banu CCU  for only $275!" ($0 CCU from Vanguard to Banu, + $25 for profit)

Regardless of their reasoning, though, they are well within their rights to change the store, just like people are well within their rights to complain, but the number of people who are trying to complain for "innocent" reasons makes me laugh. I guarantee you most of them are bitching because they don't want to lose their "discounts".

2 hours ago, Chimaera said:

Regardless of their reasoning, though, they are well within their rights to change the store, just like people are well within their rights to complain, but the number of people who are trying to complain for "innocent" reasons makes me laugh. I guarantee you most of them are bitching because they don't want to lose their "discounts".

maybe, but ... well ... let's say that grey companies deserve grey customers. And the other way around. This last thing of CCU does not concerns me at all, but last CIG market moves put them in my personal "black" list.