Drake Corsair

ChiefWarrant

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/16995-Drake-Corsair-Sail-The-Stars

Heed the call of uncharted space and harness the spirit of exploration with the Drake Corsair, a worthy companion, supporting you in battle, discovery, and delivery, wherever the winds of adventure may steer you.

$195USD  WARBOND

$215USD CREDIT

The romance. The danger. The mystery of charting a course into the unknown. It sings to you. The spirit of exploration is inescapable. It's who you are.

You hear the song of far-off galaxies, of systems uncharted and frontiers untamed. You feel the magnetic pull of adventure and long to chase virgin horizons into the unfathomably silent depths of the unknown.

This is the spirit of the Drake Corsair - the bold, indomitable will of Humankind, dauntless in its relentless pursuit of fortune, expansion, and knowledge. 

You never know what you may discover out there, but the Corsair is a worthy companion, supporting you in battle, discovery, and delivery, wherever the winds of adventure may steer you.

DRAK_Corsair.jpg

DRAK_Corsair_Promo_I.jpg

DRAK_Corsair_Promo.jpg

Capture.JPG

Hmmm, reminds me a little bit like the BT-7 from SWToR due to the positioning of the wings. :)

paul-adam-trooper-ship-web01.jpg

Warbond price of $195 doesn't appear too bad either and is a lot 'cheaper' than the Aquila but the Corsair probably won't come stock with a $50 rover; just room to put one in. So that's probably where the price difference went. Although most Drake enthusiasts will want to fill it up with Dragonflies anyway. :P

Now I already have a Carrack so I don't need this one but it's nice to see another multicrew exploration ship to add some more variation.  ;)

I also posted this since it is a great package - and deserves its own thread so people don't pass it up....

DRAKE 2949 Complete Pack  << - Worth $2,915 and for sale for $2,630

1 hour ago, Danakar Endeel said:

Now I already have a Carrack so I don't need this one but it's nice to see another multicrew exploration ship to add some more variation.  ;)

Agreed - have Carrack ....... and I would also prefer the Aquila over the Corsair (especially since I like RSI ships better than Drake) - but again...... the Complete Pack may change the equation for some.)

28 minutes ago, T-rex said:

Anyone know the crew count for it?

12 minutes ago, Memoriam said:

what do we know about the armament of the Corsair?

Nothing as of yet. We'll probably get more info on the specs tomorrow once the full sale starts. :)

My guess is a 4-man crew with 4 S4 guns on the front. Probably S2-S3 on the manned turrets as those looks siginifcantly smaller than the ones on the front and it looks like it has 4 missile hardpoints on the starboard wing while the port side wings have 1 small gun each (probably S2).

36 minutes ago, CaptainSomar said:

@Danakar Endeel I absolutely LOVE how you added the key marker for the unit of measurement.  :) I took drafting for a few years and appreciate the little things.

I do love the design language.  Tips the hat to a lot of great SciFi flicks. 

Can't take credit for that one I'm afraid as I merely confiscated the image from Omega@Supreme when he made his post. I just wanted to share it so we could all see how he got to the 48m length estimate. :)

So all credit for that one goes to Omega@Supreme. ;)

Some images from AtV showing some of the interior. Seems everything inside the ship is on the same floor. :)

image.thumb.png.eeef7fd6273bcbaf21bae0ad3e333048.png

Vehicle/Cargo area shown on the top left with the Component Access shown in the middle.

image.thumb.png.9274105039683f69c876c7ef1021f568.png

Crew area with kitchen stuffs and individual rooms for each crewmember. It appears the Corsair is going to be a 3-man ship.

image.thumb.png.ec4df8579a6494f491f197171fbc700e.png

One of the seats in the cockpit actually moves down to sit under the other seat. So apparently one person looks out through the top cockpit while the other sees out the bottom windows when in flight.

4 hours ago, Danakar Endeel said:

Nothing as of yet. We'll probably get more info on the specs tomorrow once the full sale starts. :)

My guess is a 4-man crew with 4 S4 guns on the front. Probably S2-S3 on the manned turrets as those looks siginifcantly smaller than the ones on the front and it looks like it has 4 missile hardpoints on the starboard wing while the port side wings have 1 small gun each (probably S2).

Is this means another exploration ship that has better firepower than carrack·!??

23 minutes ago, carrackfan said:

Is this means another exploration ship that has better firepower than carrack·!??

Maybe, not sure if those are actually S4 guns or not on the Corsair but I'm suspecting they are.

The last we know about the Carrack was that it was supposed to have 4 turrets with 2xS4 guns each but that was from the ship stats years ago so no clue if that changed or not. CIG might have upgraded some turrets to 2xS5 (the top turret would be the most likely candidate for that) but we'll have to wait and see.

The latest Carrack images do make it appear that the Carrack has much better overall coverage from all angles though while the Corsair has a lot of forward firepower at its disposal but the rest of the ship appears to have issues with proper coverage and lacks firepower (guns on those side turrets and the rear appear to be S2 or S3). :)

So... 

• Carrack with 8xS4 on turrets with good coverage
  • versus
  • Corsair with 4xS4 forward facing guns, some missiles (8xS2?), and an assortment of S2-S3 guns in locations that offer only limited coverage

Personally I'd rather have a ship that can bring 2 S4 guns to bear on any location compared to a ship that is only protected by 2xS2 or 2xS3 on the flanks and rear. I'm also suspecting that the Carrack will have larger shield generators and thicker armor as the Corsair will likely have only medium sized shield generators and cardboard for armor. ;)

Glad to see another Drake.  Glad to see another mid-sized ship.  But not a huge fan of the Corsair's asymmetry.  Its hard to describe why:  Whereas the BT-7 from SWToR feels like it has asymmetry as ship function, the Corsair seems to have been given a hint of asymmetry just for a little asymmetry's sake.  Which makes one ask the question why bother with that.  I like the looks of the Corsair with the wings folder vertically more though. And I'm intrigued by the side turrets which to me is the design choice that makes this ship stand out as something different. It makes the ship a 'broadsides' brawler!  Not sure that is practical, but its a bit different.

spacer.png

spacer.png

In addition to the co-pilot/gunner seat's obstructed forward visibility because of the ceiling and MFD, this pic shows that it has no side visibility! That tiny window at the bottom is useless -- I think it's cosmetic more than anything -- because the co-pilot/gunner sits too far back and eye-level would be looking at solid hull. That could be the most restricted view of any ship in SC. That gunner's seat must rely on the MFDs to track targets because the holographic HUD wouldn't work -- or, it would sorta work. You'd just be aiming at the target reticule and trying the align the lead indicator to hit it, but you wouldn't be able to see the ship unless it's directly ahead.

In a dogfight versus starfighters, the Corsair will get owned. But I suppose as a pirate raider, the Corsair could keep slower cargo haulers and utility ships in its front sights and pound away with its gimballed S4s.

It seems strange that CIG is marketing the Corsair as an "aggressive exploration" ship instead of a legitimate alternative to the Freelancer DUR or Constellation Aquila. The brochure mentions that the Corsair has "state-of-the-art sensor suites" but they aren't overtly indicated in the pics or schematics. The DUR and Aquila's sensors are easy to find, and the Aquila even swaps out one of its gun turrets for a manned sensor array. The 315p has (or had) a tractor beam projector on the nose gimbal. The Terrapin is basically a sensor suite attached to an armored shell. Whereas the Corsair is simply loaded for bear. There's no mention of what type of "exploration" it's intended for: scanning for jump points, navigating jump routes, system surveying, planetary surveying? Who knows!? 🤨

I suppose that CIG's intention is to show the Corsair is a medium-size Raider, not an exploration ship at all. However, usually they do it in a more subtle, darkly humorous, tongue-in-cheek kinda way, which strongly implies what's really going on with Drake ships without actually saying it. But it's like CIG isn't even trying with the Corsair. They're just dropping the Corsair and saying "it is what it is."

I'm not biting on this one. I just doesn't seem to be up to CIG's standards. The asymmetrical design doesn't bother me -- I've often said I disliked CIG's pension for symmetrical ships -- but the folding tri-wings just don't make sense to me. If a ship has a third wing, logically it should be perpendicular to the other two so that its maneuvering thrusters provide extra turning power for a different axis. For example, the horizontal wings should have maneuvering thrusters for yaw and roll, but if the third wing swung out vertically, it could provide pitch and roll. But having two diagonal wings on the port side doesn't seem like it'll provide superior agility or stability.

The Corsair seems to follow the sci-fi trope that "good guy" ships are stylish and symmetrical, whereas "bad guy" ships are menacingly ugly and asymmetrical. And since the Corsair is (not) a "pirate ship" it needs to look kinda slapped together, like it lost its port wing in combat, and the pirates grafted a pair of mismatched wings onto it.

I don't like it. This is an easy pass for me.

4 hours ago, Reavern said:

There's no mention of what type of "exploration" it's intended for: scanning for jump points, navigating jump routes, system surveying, planetary surveying? Who knows!? 🤨

Heh, I'm betting that the primary function of the Corsair is 'exploring' the cargoholds of other ships and those "state-of-the-art sensor suites" are probably tuned to scan the contents of cargo containers similar to the contraband scanners used by UEE Customs agents. :P

So yeah, I don't think this is a real exploration ship at all (not like the Aquila or Carrack) but more of a raider that's meant to find and disable other cargoships so they can 'explore' their cargoholds for rare artifacts (aka anything of value). ;)