My old build was passed down and time for a new one, parts get here Thursday to start assembling.

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series, H150i PRO RGB, 360mm

Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate LGA 1151

Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000)

Video Card: GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING OC 8G Graphics Card, 3 x WINDFORCE Fans, 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6

Hard Drive: SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 512GB

Power Supply: CORSAIR RMx Series RM850x CP-9020180-NA 850W

Tower: Thermaltake View 71 RGB 4-Sided Tempered Glass Vertical GPU Modular E-ATX Gaming Full Tower

Extra Fans: Corsair HD Series, HD120 RGB LED, 120mm

I'd like to get more in depth with overclocking this one.  Assuming it will stay more than cool enough to push it some.

Anyone have experience with this type of mobo's settings to give some suggestions?

14 hours ago, Gallitin said:

Anyone have experience with this type of mobo's settings to give some suggestions? 

I have an ASrock B450 mobo (amd socket AM4). They have a pretty straightforward BIOS in my eyes, but dont expect it to be at the level ASUS in regards to user-friendliness. If you are used to ASUS Bios, my advice would be to forget everything you know. Once you figure out which setting is where, it will be a walk in park. Like with ASUS (and other brands) you can update the bios through USB in the bios itself and the rest is pretty much similar if you disregard the slight difference in naming sense and it being less user-friendly. I'd rather deal with a less user-friendly bios mobo, than having shitty mobo. :P

I have a great experience with ASrock mobo's so far for the past 4+ years.

Edit: My Overclocking days are long behind me, so i cant really help you there.

4 minutes ago, Sloppyseconds said:

I'd drop the i9 to an i7 and take RTX 2080 regular over the 2070

Yeah I have an RTX 2080 in my other build that is identical.  It's my work machine, so going to swap the 2070 into it and take the 2080 for the gaming one.  Figured I can deal with a 2070 at work as I don't get to game much there other than a few rounds of LOL from time to time.  

I don't think you'll notice unless you're programming thread heavy simulations for research with the i7.  Seems to me the newest technology at the lowest clock rates seem to be the way to go for bang for the buck.

Right now I'm running an i7 8700 w/16GB RAM and a 1080.  Everything runs great.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Gremlich
      I checked just to see how the 2700X fared against the i9-9900K
      This will not dissuade Intel fans. The i9-9900K is faster, by an overall 16%. Of course Intel does single-core better.
      Cost for the 2700X - $280
      Cost for the i9-9900K - $500

Whilst the 6 core, 12 thread 8700K beats the 2700X in single and quad core performance by about 10%, the 2700X wins on multi-core workloads. PC gaming and desktop performance is generally governed by four or less cores but the 2700X offers unbeatable value for money for workstation users.
      Although the 9900K has around a 16% effective speed advantage over the 2700X, the Ryzen 2700X offers better value for money for most users.

• By BryGen
      I am getting ready to build another PC due to the fact that my current rig is going on 4 yrs old (still solid) and I am passing it on to my kids so they can start to dabble in the PC realm.
      My current rig is a mini ITX.  Although it was fun, I'm going back to a micro ATX mid tower size.
      New build -
      CPU- Intel i7-8700k
      Cooler - NZXT Kraken X62 Rev2
      Mobo - Asus ROG STRIX Z370-G Gaming (mATX)
      Memory - Corsair Vegnance RGB Pro 16gb DDR4-3000
      Storage - Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
      GPU - Asus GTX 1080 8gb ROG STRIX , but if new cards pop soon might swap.
      Case - Corsair Crystal 280X RGB mATX mid tower
      PSU - Corsair HX Platinum 750w 
      Also gonna grab a 32" ultra wide to pair up with a 27"
      So this will be a RGB build with most of the components having that feature.  I want to build a solid rig but not trying to max anything out this time around as I will probably do another build in a few years.
      Will throw up some pics once its done.
    • By Tillion
      Lets get an updated thread of everyone's custom Rigs that they will be using and/are already using to play SC.  Please attach a hardware list and note any future upgrades you'll be making.  Probably try to limit to 2-4 pics per post to limit load time on smaller devices and tag your chipset (AMD or Intel) in the tagline.  Cant wait to see what you guys are running!  
      I've already posted this on my profile but I'll start anyway.
      ------
      CASE  --  Phanteks Enthoo Evolv PH-ES515E_GS Aluminum/Steel Galaxy Silver Window ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
      MoBo  --  MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING R6 SIEGE LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard
      CPU  --  i7 6700K 4.00 GHz Unlocked Quad Core Skylake
      RAM -- CORSAIR Vengeance LED 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3000, Cas Lat 15
      CPU COOLER --  DeepCool CPU Liquid Cooler CAPTAIN 240 WHITE
      BOOT DRIVE -- Samsung 960 evo 500GB M.2
      GPU -- MSI 1080ti FE
      PSU --  Corsair RMi Series RM850i
                                            MODS
      CABLES - CableMod custom sleeves
      LIGHTING- Two 12" Pure White Cold Cathode
      GPU- modded w/ Corsair H55 and NZXT Kraken g10
      MONITOR  --  Samsung UHD 4k 28"
      FANS – Triple Fan Mod for top of case

• By SpectreSC
      Hey all,
      So I've got a T.Flight Hotas X and I was curious if anyone else uses this setup that could give me an idea of their profile/keymapping? What other tools do you use for functionality in SC with your setup, if any?
      I feel like the stick itself is too stiff or too loose no matter what I do, and I feel like I have deadzones as well. Trying to figure out what I can do to fix that besides getting a new stick+throttle combo.
    • By Gallitin
      Alright so after following other's builds, talking about purchasing another pre-built PC and being reminded I'll overpay and get less...here's what I've come up with: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VXFFWX
      Last time I built a PC was about 4-5 years ago so few questions:
      CPU - i7 vs i9
      Is it worth grabbing the i9 now or is the i7 8700 just fine?  Why? Is the cooler I picked ok? Motherboard
      Completely guessed on this one, bad, good? Case - Mid vs Full
      I like the look of the full size cases, but more money.  I won't have any cd/dvd drives.  Does the full tower cool any better?  Is there any advantage beyond the actual space? Video Card - GeForce 1080ti
      I'm finding all kinds of these out there.  Does the brand matter?  What detailed specs do I need to look at?  All I've seen is the 11gb version that I want. Memory
      I'm going to get 32 gigs of memory, does it matter if I get 2x16 or 4x8?  I didn't know exactly how dual channel works and if better to have all 4 slots filled or if not relevant. I see options for 3200 and 4000, is the 4000 worth the price or should I just pick up 3200? Hard Drive
      SSD vs m2.SSD vs PCI-E SSD?  I'm lost on m2 and PCI.  I see both labeled with some Octane drives, but PCI-E seems more expensive.  What do I want here m2 or PCI-E and which one?  I haven't followed how the tech works, read some, but still not fully getting it. Power Supply
      Again guessed here, assuming 1k is ok? Sound Card
      Are sound cards relevant anymore or is onboard sufficient?  Picked a soundblaster one out, but not sure if I need it. Fans
      I just chose some, assume I need 4 for the case, are they right? Do I need more or some different? All suggestions welcome, so be brutal with me if I've chosen something completely off.  I'd like to stick to higher end stuff, but if it's a waste please let me know.