VoA

Babylon 5 - 25th Anniversary

I am a huge fan of Star Trek and Star Wars (and really almost every Sci-Fi Genre out there)........ but NOTHING compares the the most awesome Sci-Fi Genre of all Time = BABYLON 5

What really sets it apart from all other Sci-Fi Genres is the 5 season continuous story arch (of which every episode plays a part in the overall story arch) + there are SIX movies and an epilogue one season story called Crusade.   The special effects were ground breaking (and even won an Emmy).

Below is a video to celibate the 25th anniversary that you can watch to get an overview of the story (but be warned there are many spoilers in it - so if you do intend to watch it for the first time you shouldn't watch this video - especially when she says there is a 23 old spoiler in the video).   Wanted to add it also for @LeroyJenkins @radoorid @PowerWagonKevin @bladeofdeath3 since we talked about Babylon 5 in a recent unit meeting.

Enjoy (but again spoiler warning)

2 hours ago, Gremlich said:

As much as i liked Bab 5, for me, Firefly has been the best sci-fi since the 1960's Star Trek.

While Firefly has a loyal fan-base it did only last one season........ The original Star Trek also had a rocky start ........ whereas Babylon 5 succeeded to complete its 5 season story arc to its planned completion on a very small budget.    What is sad is how Babylon 5  was Pitched to Paramount....... and instead of them picking it up as an original story they decided to Plagiarize it with a direct concept copy with Deep Space 9.

Also while Joss Wedon of Firefly earned his due respect for the series and early work...... his later work is suspect and highly disappointing.

4 hours ago, VoA said:

While Firefly has a loyal fan-base it did only last one season....

Not even. They showed 11 of 14 and those out of sequence. That does not diminish it's inpact and influence on TV sci-fi. Bab 5 isn't in the top 10.

I understand your points, regardless.

I've actually been streaming B5 again over the holidays.  Great show for sure.  It would be great if they would reboot Crusade.

I've also read the news articles about the B5 vs  DS9 origins and rivalry, but I don't think it amounts to much.   I've watched both shows extensively and never once viewed them to be the same show / premise beyond space stations being involved.  Saying that DS9 copied B5 is like saying that Star Wars developed from Star Trek because they both had starships.  They are both great shows that stand on their own right with their own unique ideas.

Before I was as much a fan of B5 as VoA, I was pretty into DS9 at the time and while I admit that both shows are great, it should be acknowledged that some plotlines for DS9 were at least influenced by B5. Fans are well aware that JMS (creator of B5) didn't just pitch the basic premise of B5 to Paramount(?) Execs, but also much of the 5 year story arc. The studio then rejected his ideas only to produce DS9 a few months later with not just a similar setting but also character and plot development as well (Minor spoiler for anyone who can't see the Emissary/Valen connection amongst many such spoiler-laden examples) It's because of this that some changes had to then be made to B5 a year after DS9 premiered to differentiate the two.

In fact, even though B5 is a great show it could have been so much better if it hadn't been for rewrites to the original plot (by one person as opposed to a team of writers) due to 3 main factors:

1) Supposed "plagerism" by DS9.

2) The late Michel O'Hare (Commander Sinclair) having to leave the show after one season due to Mental Illness.

3) Studio Execs being non-committal to renewing the series at the end of every season.

Despite these hurdles, it's a true testament to the writing skills of JMS that he was able to produce such a great show that was so far ahead in its time.

21 hours ago, Sky Captain said:

Saying that DS9 copied B5 is like saying that....

Watch this video then you'll understand that DS9 wouldn't have even been created without B5 first being pitched to Paramount....

12 hours ago, LowZone said:

Before I was as much a fan of B5 as VoA, I was pretty into DS9 at the time and while I admit that both shows are great, it should be acknowledged that some plotlines for DS9 were at least influenced by B5. Fans are well aware that JMS (creator of B5) didn't just pitch the basic premise of B5 to Paramount(?) Execs, but also much of the 5 year story arc. The studio then rejected his ideas only to produce DS9 a few months later with not just a similar setting but also character and plot development as well (Minor spoiler for anyone who can't see the Emissary/Valen connection amongst many such spoiler-laden examples) It's because of this that some changes had to then be made to B5 a year after DS9 premiered to differentiate the two.

Agree and those that disagree need to watch the video above... ;)

In fact, even though B5 is a great show it could have been so much better if it hadn't been for rewrites to the original plot (by one person as opposed to a team of writers) due to 3 main factors:

See video in OP you'll see that JMS did in-fact write the vast majority of the stories and in each case they followed his guidance (much more so than Gene Roddenberry did with Star Trek or George Lucas in the later Star Wars Movies / Lore)

1) Supposed "plagerism" by DS9.

Think it is pretty definitive but I do think that they diverged a bit after the initial plagerism.

2) The late Michel O'Hare (Commander Sinclair) having to leave the show after one season due to Mental Illness.

Yes this was a very sad story but the fact he was able to return in Cameo's to complete his story arc is also what made B5 epic !!! :)

3) Studio Execs being non-committal to renewing the series at the end of every season.

It only shows how execs (like in other shows like The Expanse) don't understand what is good Science Fiction

Despite these hurdles, it's a true testament to the writing skills of JMS that he was able to produce such a great show that was so far ahead in its time.

Agreed :)