Ongoing Discussion How Much of a Difference Does Ray Tracing Make (Nvidia RTX)?

Boildown

My GTX 980 is a bit glitchy lately, won't recognize my third monitor any more and I have trouble getting it to recognize the first two when I reboot without a power down for a few minutes.  That's the only reason I might upgrade soon.  If that doesn't go further south, then I intend to wait on the next gen cards, even if they're more than a year away.  Or even go AMD if they surprise us, but that seems unlikely.

The only reason I upgraded from my GTX 970 to the RTX 2080 was simply because my GTX 970 wasn't recognizing the full 3.5gigs of VRAM it had anymore. Chip Creep and old age were finally getting to it. I'm not disappointed in my upgrade and I don't regret it, however, I do know I probably could've gotten a better deal with AMD or by waiting another year or so. Just didn't have the time/patience for it anymore.

It's a great card but not worth the price, imo.

I said the same thing when I bought the 1080ti. The again, I just need a card that can run Star Citizen at a decent framerate and even though I probably over paid for the card, I'm thinking it will likely do the job barring any premature failures. Fingers crossed.

So for me, since I doubt Star Citizen will adopt ray tracing tech anytime soon it isn't really a selling point for me, but if/when they do I suppose I'll just drop another grand on another card.

I upgraded from 2xGTX970 SSC to a single EVGA GTX1070ti Gaming for $400. I go with EVGA because of their cooling tech.

When I had the GTX560 and GTX760, I used Arctic Cooling replacement cooler tech. The 60-series GTX cards are ok consumer GPUs, but they were lacking so I started using the 70-series. The 80-series were too costly for me and the 1080's are currently commanding prices a bit too much (imho) for what performance they give you relative to the RTX cards.

But, gotta upgrade when you need to or if you can. Not an easy decision.

3 Reasons Why AMD's Radeon 7 Is Such A Big Deal

• 3 years later...
On 1/16/2019 at 2:19 PM, Juntau said:

So for me, since I doubt Star Citizen will adopt ray tracing tech anytime soon it isn't really a selling point for me, but if/when they do I suppose I'll just drop another grand on another card.

lol, remember when you could buy a graphics card for a grand?