Virpil recently posted their 2 years in review where they also announced they'll be releasing their new WarBRD grip on 23rd January 2019.

This is their current lineup of products where you see:

• WarBRD Base with a Constellation Delta Grip
  • Desk Mount
  • MT-50 Throttle
  • MT-50 base(now discontinued) with a MT-50CM Grip

VPCLineup.png.2909aee0ed6cf4c8577d00fc22

Pictures of the new WarBRD grip:

WarBRDGripReveal2.png.d00be53e57b2f84511

2YIR_10.png.52eeeae28ee268f3f4058c043599

2YIR_12.png.9504b0d536126dd99380dc7f8b48

2YIR_11.png.624ebdbf699af12af50f301cdb99

Its specs are:

• Dual Stage Trigger
  • 1 x 8-way POV Hat (+ Push)
  • 2 x Momentary Push Buttons
  • 4-Way (+ Push) Thumb Hat
  • All Metal Twist Axis with VPC Contactless Sensor
  • Configurable Mode LED

So it basically has 2 hats with push, 2 buttons, dual stage trigger and a twist axis with contactless sensor. It looks like a good space sim grip for me even it lacks in the button/hat department a bit. I plan to pick it up when I can in combination with a WarBRD base and recently released cosmosim no center cams for WarBRD base. VPC products tend to be out of stock yet they restock every 2-3 weeks and sell out in hours. If you're interested in picking one, you might need to set an alarm to their restocking schedule. Their next restock will be on 7th January 2019, 6 AM - 9 AM GMT.

That's pretty cool. I was interested in their Constellation stick but gave up for now after getting several 'out of stock' messages or when the base was available but the stick wasn't. :P

But I guess it's not too bad as I don't really need sticks yet (SQ42 2020) and then they had a poll where a new Constellation version was one of the options so I might as well wait for that. :)

Also interesting to see a "no-center" version of the CosmoSim cams now but I don't know if it will feel better compared to the soft-center version as I have no clue what the difference will be. I'm guessing that with the "no-center" you can transition from left-right without feeling anything at all while with the "soft-center" you will know when you've crossed the center?

More like you can feel a small bump when moving through axes, like when you're only inputting X and then you decide to input some Y. It helps you not have Y inputs when you only want to input X and vice-versa. Soft/hard center is currently necessary on left stick since you don't want to input lateral strafe while trying to get to max cruise speed which will lock you to max ABSCM speed(around 450 m/s on most ships). SC Devs said they'll likely fix that in the future tho so there might be a change to that with the new flight model. This is also one of the reasons I find TM T16000M to be a crap left stick since most ball gimbal bases like T16000M don't really have a center.

For no-center cams, there's no bump when moving through axes so stick is more free-floating. I find this helps more when aiming with right stick, more so especially if you have yaw on Y axis on your right stick.

1 hour ago, Danakar Endeel said:

But I guess it's not too bad as I don't really need sticks yet (SQ42 2020) and then they had a poll where a new Constellation version was one of the options so I might as well wait for that. :)

By the time the PU launches we will all be using neural interfaces and not bother with joysticks. I have attached a picture of my prototype SC control setup, I still need to tweak it a bit so there are less cables.

neural_interface_by_cobaltplasma-dac1tx5-652x1024.jpg

The constellation is pretty nice for a left hand grip. Those two r way hats! I struggle to find a use for the thumb (Free look for dual stick users?)

You know, the thrustmaster 1600 is really, really hard to beat as an off hand stick.  The constellation is the first that might.  The buttons, the build quality.I like what Noobifier said about its feel.  I would love to try it someday.

I'm currently using a Constellation Delta grip on a WarBRD base with cosmosim soft center cams as a left hand a stick and I can say that the Delta grip is really good but it still leaves something to be desired. Like I'm using wheel both as a throttle and zoom using recessed trigger button as a modifier. Similarly, I can use both 4-way hats with recessed trigger as a modifier too.

The issue with Constellation Delta comes mainly from the placement of top 8-way hat and the length of dual-stage trigger. They just aren't that comfortable to use and that's mainly why I didn't go for a second WarBRD base and second Constellation Delta grip. There's also that cosmosim no-center cams didn't exist up until a couple of weeks ago. Dual stage trigger is placed really high and it's just too short to reach comfortably most of the time if you're using the stick on a desk, which is how it's designed to be used. 8-way hat is just a bit better, pulling back the stick to strafe forward kinda helps reaching it.

I'm using thumbpad for freelook but it rarely comes up. Head tracking with a camera or TrackIR is likely to be better.

Even with its shortcomings, I'm actually satisfied with Constellation Delta grip currently since it does what it's supposed to do as a left hand stick, that is being a button bank of some sort while providing good control over 3 strafe axes. Note that all the hats have push buttons and wheel also has a button and you can comfortably combine those with recessed trigger as a modifier. I just wish the top hat and dual stage trigger was placed a bit better. Because of this, I'm never gonna use that grip for my right hand, my VKB Gladiator has a way more comfortable trigger, yet it comes up short not having a dual stage trigger and second hat so I plan to buy a WarBRD grip.

Let's also note that VPC said they'll be releasing at least another grip on top of WarBRD grip on Q1 '19. I expect them to tease it in a couple of days.

Just a heads-up but the guys over at Virpil had a poll which just closed about which grip they should work on next. The Upgraded Constellation Space Sim Grip won the poll with 40.36% of the votes. Guess I should keep an eye out for that one. :)

https://forum.virpil.com/index.php?/topic/137-what-grip-should-virpil-make-next/

Virpil-poll.thumb.png.65c1290bb17d5313d51095f35e7f19f5.png

img_20190216_211724.jpg

So I went with Delta grip + WarBRD base + Cosmosim soft center cams on left and

WarBRD grip + WarBRD base + Cosmosim no center cams on right.

Keyboard is IKBC Poker Mini with MX Black switches and mouse is Logitech G305.

I enjoy this setup where I can switch between kb+m & dual sticks. My only complaints are ergonomics issues related to grips: Delta is a bit too tall so top hat and main trigger aren't the most comfortable to use but I can somehow get around it since I pull the stick back to apply forward thrust and WarBRD grip's pinky button is placed really badly and hard to actuate so I have to hit it with my ring finger. That button is mainly a toggle mode modifier used when landing so not that big of a big deal. I'd still might get some other grip in the future but at this point, this is perfectly satisfying for me.

The WarBRD doesn't have enough buttons/hats. The classic CH Fighterstick should be the baseline, it had great buttons and hats ergonomically placed, if there were a left hand version it would be the ideal left hand stick because of the hard axis bump.  Why modern joystick companies come out with sticks that don't meet or exceed the CH Fighterstick design is beyond me.

New Virpil stuff: https://forum.virpil.com/index.php?/topic/377-unveiling-the-long-awaited-vpc-mongoost-50-flightstick-base-successor/

T-50CM Base with new gimbal:

MT50CMBase_03.png.668d82980e2a7f70309437

MT50CMBase_05.png.daa118b42b0be23a708b71

2 different new desk mounts:

DeskMountV2_01.png.23142260dab443220d73b

They also have a new limited preorder system where you can preorder anything on some restock days and they'll deliver it in 90 days. You can only preorder by bank transfer tho.

I just picked up 2 x WarBRD bases and 2 x Constellation Deltas. I pre-ordered one of the Cosmosim Cams with no center for my right stick. 

I plan to mount them on the Foxx desk mounts. I will post pictures in a few weeks when everything is set up. 

EDIT: I should also note that Virpil is taking pre-orders until March 31st. 

Foxx mounts are really good and reasonably priced if you live in and around USA. Foxx also helps out with custom stuff if you reach him on HOTAS discord.

Virpil also recently increased prices on everything and with their expensive shipping, I think a VKB setup is now actually is cheaper compared to VPC if you live in and around USA but well, buying VKB takes at least 1 to 3 months.

Virpil is a more reasonable buy in and around EU since it's almost impossible to get VKB in EU. Monstertech mounts is also a german company, albeit it takes a bit for them to produce everything.

Anything good with a twist axis for my left hand stick? I already have a 16000M, but its insufficient.  The twist works well but the buttons are too few and too bad.  I have a VKB Sim Gladiator but its a right handed stick that I'm trying to use lefty, the twist axis doesn't twist enough for fine control, and the buttons are also too few.

Probably Constellation Delta + WarBRD base but Delta V2 grip is also expected to release in the next few months so you might want to wait on it too.

Delta wheel is nice now with the new flight model when used for speed limiter adjustment and it's expected that they'll keep the wheel on Delta V2 too, that's what Virpil rep. Cypher hinted at on HOTAS discord pretty much.

Alternatively, Kosmosima LH with a Gunfighter Mk.II base is also nice. VKB is also supposed to release a plastic gimbal Gladiator base with a Kosmosima grip for around 170$ which might also be an alternative in the future.

58373611_2782799711835870_33249089847075

Virpil teased their F-14 grip. Thrustmaster and VKB also previously teased F-14 grips yet they haven't mentioned a release date.

I'd expect Virpil to be the first to market since they like to move fast.

https://forum.virpil.com/index.php?/topic/670-vpc-rudder-pedals-vfx-grip-pre-order/

Virpil F-14(VFX) and pedals preorder info in the link. VFX also has lockable twist as an added feature. It only has 1 hat but it has an analog paddle with physical push button at 100%, auto-centering DLC wheel and signature F-14 weapon selector with push functionality to make up for it..

Thrustmaster also released their F/A-18 Hornet grip which is compatible with all Virpil bases. It doesn't have a twist mechanism.
Realsimulator also has a new, high end F-16 grip which has integrated sensors that'll work on Virpil bases. It doesn't have a twist mechanism.