Squadron 42 Roadmap Released

Maverick

In all honesty I was expecting it. 

How in the world could they have announced a 2016 release date back in the day is beyond my understanding.

Anyone that follows game development suspected as much. If your game vertical slice is unpolished, your entire game is still far from release. As simple as that.
Games take time to develop. That's for sure. The 10 years to develop predictions were right. 

I hope that for some people this gives them a bit of a reality check of the state of the game and why it is important to look at this game development with objectivity.

It is true that this is an ambitious game and that they are hopefully creating a game that people will enjoy for years. 
But also true that they have not been honest regarding how long it would take.  A good example is @Voa comment bellow.

It wasn't dishonesty, it was Chris Roberts being optimistic combined with the opportunity to delay and get better planets in trade.  I mean tiny landing zones on the moons and planets vs having the whole thing being explorable?  Sign me up for the delay.  The game is going to be far far better than it otherwise would have been.  Well, if you have some terminal disease or are getting married to someone who hates gaming, this sucks, but for the rest of us, this is best.

Financials don't look so bad to me.  I've said all along the thing "CIG BANKWUPT" people didn't understand was they had no debt, and they can get private financing to finish the game if they needed. I thought they'd take a bank loan, but a private investor with a non-controlling interest is probably better... no loans to pay back with interest.  This only means Chris Roberts makes less money proportionally than before.  Even without the investment, they were spending $5M more than they took in per year if 2016 to 2017 was the typical rate.  I bet 2018 was a better year than 2017 though, so not sure they would have netted down $5M again. 

I just don't know how seasonal their income is... do they depend on November/December sales to finance the whole year?  Possible they could have liquidity problems in August/September waiting on end of year promotion sales.  Anyways, that's no longer a concern.