Basard

Ongoing Discussion 16 Core 32 Threads @5.1GHz main stream Zen 2

Well who would of expected this.

f5IBUGt.jpg

Which one will you be buying?

My eye is on the 3700X

This is really good news for Star Citizen if we can give the devs more reasons to produce more code for more cores!

@basard

Where did you find this!? if the 3700X is really this @ that price it will blow the 9900K out of the water... so long as you can effecftively OC at 5.0 Ghz. This could be the shift that AMD has been pushing for a few years now. 

Calling it now, 3850x has a 50 because it is the 50th anniversary of AMD on 1 May next year (this is their 8086k).

Exciting times. If I didn't have what was a decent rig 2 yrs ago (6 core, 12 thread), I'd consider this. 7nm is hopefully gonna be awesome!

This is all speculation so far.

But I'd buy that 3850X after checking out benchmarks. Looks like a good upgrade to aim for from my R5 1600X.

Manual overclocking isn't really necessary for these CPUs, their turbo/boost alghorithms are already fine tuned. Just adjust PBO and you should be set pretty much.

AMD Will Be Launching The Ryzen 3000 Series CPUs, APUs And A Radeon GPU At CES

Ryzen Family Ryzen 1000 Series Ryzen 2000 Series Ryzen 3000 Series Ryzen 4000 Series
Architecture Zen (1) Zen (1) / Zen+ Zen (2) Zen (3)
Process Node 14nm 14nm / 12nm 7nm 7nm+
High End Server (SP3) EPYC 'Naples' EPYC 'Naples' EPYC 'Rome' EPYC 'Milan'
Max Server Cores / Threads 32/64 32/64 64/128

No more inaccurate rumor mills.  The real info is out and its simply not as good as some of you thought.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14407/amd-ryzen-3000-announced-five-cpus-12-cores-for-499-up-to-46-ghz-pcie-40-coming-77

• The Ryzen 9 (3900X) has 12 cores at 4.6GHz instead of 16 cores at 4.7GHz and costs $499 instead of $449
  • There is no 16 core version, nothing goes to even 4.7GHz, let alone 5.0 or 5.1 GHz.  Maybe there's a 16 core version at a later date though.
  • The Ryzen 7 (3800X) has 8 cores at 4.5GHz instead of 12 cores at 5.0GHz, and costs $399 instead of $329
  • The Ryzen 5 (3600X) has 6 cores at 4.4GHz instead of 8 cores at 4.8GHz, and costs $249 instead of $229

The IPC is purportedly significantly better, but they still only beat the equivalent Intel chip by 1% in single thread in one benchmark cherry-picked by AMD under unknown circumstances.  A beat is still a beat, but will it still beat Intel in all or even the majority of benchmarks, let alone gaming, when AMD doesn't get to cherry-pick? History suggests, not a chance.

Still, competition is good, and some of you are going to pre-order these because you're AMD fanbois. If this applies to you, I suggest you get either:

• The Ryzen 7 3800X @ $399.  It has eight cores at a higher base clock than the 3900X and its boost clock is only off that one's by .1GHz.
  • The Ryzen 5 3600X @ $249.  It has six cores at the same base clock as the 3900X and its boost clock is only off that one's by .2Ghz
  • Avoid the Ryzen 9 3900X, at least until it shown there is no penalty for its chiplet design.  I suspect there will be a penalty though, or else all these chips would have chiplets.
  • Avoid the Ryzen 7 3700X and Ryzen 5 3600, these two are down-clocked versions that will be significantly worse for gaming than either the 3600X or 3800X.

Above all, I urge you all to avoid the hype and wait for reviews and gaming benchmarks before ordering.  Pre-ordering is bad.  The release date is July 7th, that's barely more than a month away, You can wait.  If these are legit, I'll be getting one myself.  But I have significant doubts.

The 3000 series' 16 Core Ryzen 9 is revealed: https://www.anandtech.com/show/14516/amd-16-core-ryzen-9-3950x-up-to-4-7-ghz-105w-coming-september

Compared to the rumor mill's 16 core CPU, this one matches the lower end model pretty close instead of the higher end one listed.  Still 16 cores / 32 threads, but base clock is 3.5GHz instead of 3.9 or 4.3 GHz, boost clock is 4.7GHz instead of 5.1GHz, and price is a whopping $749 instead of $449 or $499.  Its also a chiplet design, like the 12 core.  And it won't be sold until September.

I can't think of a good reason to get this $749 16 core instead of one of the 12 core chips that are significantly cheaper. Unless you're live streaming 4K video, you don't need it. Or unless you're not into price/performance, but if that's the case, just go Intel.  And like the 12-core Ryzen 3000s, I think this chip will be significantly worse for gaming than one of the 8 core or 6 core Ryzen 3000s.

New Ryzen lineup is great. First 12 and 16 core CPUs in mainstream pretty much and with good pricing. Releasing next month except 3950X will release in September.

2b323a2c27.png

New Navi GPUs, priced at 379$ and 449$, providing slightly higher performance than 2060 and 2070 pretty much. Note that Nvidia will also be releasing their Super RTX Series and cutting prices on old RTX cards to compete.

radeon-rx-5700xt.jpg

And the reviews are popping up on the web.  Here's Anandtech's:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14605/the-and-ryzen-3700x-3900x-review-raising-the-bar

Gaming Performance

When it comes to gaming performance, the 9700K and 9900K remain the best performing CPUs on the market. Even without an IPC advantage anymore, Intel's high clockspeeds and supporting elements such as the core ringbus still give them the best performance in the kind of lightly-threaded and tightly-threaded scenarios that games often follow.

That being said, the new 3700X and 3900X are posting enormous improvements over the 2700X. And we can confirm AMD’s claims of up to 30-35% better performance in some games over the 2700X. So AMD has not been standing still.

Ultimately, while AMD still lags behind Intel in gaming performance, the gap has narrowed immensely, to the point that Ryzen CPUs are no longer something to be dismissed if you want to have a high-end gaming machine. Intel's performance advantage is rather limited here – and for the power-conscientious, AMD is delivering better efficiency at this point – so while they may not always win out as the very best choice for absolute peak gaming performance, the 3rd gen Ryzens are still very much a very viable option worth considering.

Now why didn't Anandtech review the 3800X instead of the 3700X?  The 3700X is the downclocked version and the 3800X was the one I thought was most interesting, but they didn't review it (yet?).

Still it went exactly as I predicted.  If you're a gamer, the already-existing i7 and i9 are better, albeit only slightly.  But they're also no more expensive.  You can certainly make a case for AMD though for other tasks, like video encoding. In fact, if you software encode your gaming sessions on one PC instead of using NVEnc/Shadowplay or using a 2-PC setup, the 3900X is a clear winner.

I don't plan to spring for these, I'm sticking with my i7-4770k and am waiting for Intel's long-delayed process node shrink.  Intel better not wait too long, because at this rate I'll be getting AMD's 4th Gen Ryzens, if they come out first.

Anandtech didn't review it because they likely received 3700X and 3900X from AMD just like all the other reviewers.

3600, 3700X and 3900X look like the best price/performance picks in the lineup. With limited manual overclock options and improved IMC, 3600X and 3800X doesn't seem to have a measurable difference compared to 3600 and 3700X so far but new BIOS/microcode from AMD might change this in the future.

But even if the differences end up being as advertised, it doesn't seem to be worth 50 or 70$ going from one to another.

3600, 3700X and 3900X look like great picks tho, especially combined with a 5700XT, which seems to be placed really well(400$) against Nvidia's latest offerings. Do expect more Navi GPU releases this year or the next. AMD might not go against the highest end trying to match Nvidia at 2080Ti/Titan level but they always fight for mid range and high end stuff.

3600X + 5700XT seems to be a great combination. Asus X470 Crosshair VII Hero is also a good motherboard you can go for which has daisy chain topology for superior memory overclocking performance, good onboard audio, solid NIC and great VRMs instead of expensive X570 options.

Yeah, its unclear to me that 3800X is "worth it" or not.  Certainly not from a price/performance aspect, but possibly from a "performance at not that much more" aspect.  Its going to be faster than the 3700X, obviously, its stock clocks are higher.  But will it be much faster than the 3900X?  The chiplet design doesn't seem to have any real drawbacks from what I've read, so that fear seems to be unfounded.

I found the 3800X in stock a few days ago, hopefully some review sites bought it and are in the process of reviewing it.  Right now we have little more than a couple anecdotes.

Then there's the whole overclocking aspect, which is still a complete unknown. I wish HardOCP was still in business, they'd have all this done by now, and if not, they'd be transparent without being asked about what was holding them up.