Dune 2020 (movie)

VoA

I still have a 6 tape box set of the Dune series that came out in VHS format.

It is the only one that I have seen that did not take liberties and change things from the book.

This sounds like a solid effort, but I have a concern.

Even with a two movie effort, it may have to hurry things along to 'Get Er Done' in that time frame. - DRUM out

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2019 at 10:40 PM, Aleaf said:

it doesn't matter if it is a good idea to do it again or not. i am always going to say " yes please" when it comes to dune. 

The problem with that, strictly speaking, is that Dune the book(s) is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar too introspective material to ever possibly get truly faithfully rendered as a movie. Inevitably, each new attempt will try to latch onto a specific aspect it believes it will do better than its predecessors and therefore "get it finally right this time", when such a thing is impossible by definition. My preferred version (Lynch's) is of course absolutely no exception to this, having failed to commit to film the essence of the books just as thoroughly as any of the later attempts; however, a) it was the first theatrical version of Dune I saw and b) had a hard to describe but definitely present pathos and grandeur (and having been the first, a certain naive innocence) that the later attempts exchanged for a more clinical take (probably hoped to translate to "more faithful", which as noted is doomed to fail nonetheless); and in doing this, (for me at least) it came closest to the books themselves which definitely have the same Grand Epic vibe. It's of course not my place to tell anyone else which Dune movie to like - but I heavily doubt anyone will ever manage to come close to the "original" as far as I'm concerned. I'm not excluding that someone might, mind. I just find it astonishingly unlikely...

yea, i don't get that involved in movies. there are those who just enjoy the feel of a fictional universe someone created, and then there are those who know every shield modulation the enterprise used.  if i paid close attention to detail in sci-fi, i would not like sci-fi as i would spend the entire movie complaining how it is unrealistic. i like the dune feel, and the overall story arc. as that goes, i am usually happy with whatever is put out there as long as it doesn't rely too heavy on cgi.  take star wars for example.i  love those movies. i think all of them are great, yet there are those who are fanboys to the point where some of the movies they refuse to watch based on some weird metric they use in their heads. large swaths of the stories they will not watch because some director is someone they disagree with. just enjoy the wine, don't worry about what country it is from

• 1 month later...