Treat it as a discussion if you want. I'm wandering if there are any PS players around atmo that want to join our sessions as a guest: https://brtd.net/

We average about 20 players around our primetime everyday (8-10pm UK time). Thursdays are our main op/raid night with around 40 players. We divide into organised squads of infantry (main bulk of players/Reaper) ground vehicles (Armour Division) and aircraft (Air Wing) so no matter how you want to play you wont be alone.

Feel free to come and go as you please, we welcome anyone as a guest to play along with us.

We are a EU based group on the Miller server, of course playing as the greatest faction for the past 15 years since BRTD's creation (Terran Republic). Don't know how to play or have never tried it? It's free to download so jump on in, all you got to loose is time!

I always found Planetside 2 interesting but jumping in with my friends years down the line as noobs got us burnt out in a day or so.  Playing with a group of experienced players sounds fun but I'm unfamiliar with how the server system works.  I'm a US player, so am I still able to join you guys or is it region locked?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2018 at 9:29 PM, Dabclipers said:

I'm a US player, so am I still able to join you guys or is it region locked?

No you can join any server - no region locking

Doesn't help Planetside has a steep learning curve, coupled with other players having years of experience

Also sorry for long reply

Also, BIG news for Planetside announced at the 6 year anniversary stream: A breakdown taken from a Reddit post (will link at bottom)

- DX11 is coming (up from DX9), which means a ton of stuff. Shortlist:

• FPS increased.

• More "stuff" can be used for hexes.

• New code/engine base.

• Microstutter fixes.

• Threaded asset loading.

• Better loadtimes.

• Better shaders/materials/etc.

• Better SDKs.

• tl;dr everything is better.

- Optimisation 2019 (DX11 + stuff)

- New Player Tutorial 2019 --> basically waiting on other things being in the game (engine-wise).

- New Member Only Faction, NS Robotmen. Upon login you get tossed in the lowest pop faction. You only get access to Nanite System stuff (common pool weapons, vehicles). The idea is to get members into the game immediately (no more faction balance queue times period) and to cut down on queue times in general overall. As people drop in and balance the faction, the NS Robots continued to dumped to the lowest pop faction, even if that's a different faction (so you can have both VS, NC and TR robots running around). This is slanted more towards solo play, rather than group play. This has been d0ku's secret project for the last few months (modelling the robotmen).

- New Respawn System, Spawn Hopping is hopefully outdated with a lot more freedom about how and where you redeploy to (prioritizes underpop fights with instant respawns/the frontline and after a delay, allows spawning in any owned hex). It also doesn't force you off of overpopped fights anymore.

- HIVES are coming back as a new alert, REFINE AND RELOAD. The idea is that you mine and dump at a centralized set of locations (once full, they move/respawn). The faction that mines/dumps the most, wins and gets access to a Valk/ANT hybrid (called a WASP). When full, HIVEs launch into orbit destroying anything over them. There are always two HIVEs active.

- The Wasp currently has a chin mining turret, afterburners AND pilot controlled anti-armour rocket pods (on a Valk chassis currently). The idea is to try to introduce a new "variant" vehicles as alert rewards. These would come fully "certed" with an unchangeable loadout.

- New Character Select Screen.

- Ninja Throwing Stars are a thing, you get them for playing on the PTS for upcoming community tests and "is a toy". Slots in the "throwable" slot. Track social media for times/dates (they'll be announced).

- Outfit Progression/Overhaul 2019.

- Oshur 2019 --> basically been blocked by the ongoing technical issues/dev time being voraciously consumed by other things. Major milestones will be stream'd, demo'd, etc. Wrel needs a dedicated, "clean", machine to work/stream from (so Oshur dev streams when that happens).

- More Squad Stuff 2019 --> Target highlighting, mission creation, etc

- PS2 2019 Advertising Campaign Planned

- Plus more "cool stuff in the works".

https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/9z14lh/1120_dev_stream_summary/

The "NS Faction" looks particularly interesting.  I have a funny name reserved on a temporary character already.  I need to reserve a 2nd name but I'm going to have to delete one of my lowbies for that.

DirectX 11 is going to introduce a lot more bugs than it solves initially, we're going to have to alpha test the hell out of it.

• 1 year later...

Time to re-bump this.

Latest patch in this free-to-play game added "Bastion Fleet Carriers" i.e. the BFC. 

This is video from my own outfit last night (my own recording is now a highlight on my Twitch page):

This was our first ever Bastion carrier spawn.

If Star Citizen ever gets this good in gameplay, it will have been worth the price and wait, IMO.  Sure we know that the graphics will be better, but its by no means clear to me now that Star Citizen will ever achieve the solid shooting mechanics, or sheer number of players in the same place at the same time as what you see here in this seven year old game.

If you want to see for yourself but want a guide through that process, I play as Boildown on Emerald server, NC faction, in the [TG] outfit.

• 4 weeks later...

Long time planetside player here. Used to lead one of the biggest factions on Cobalt (regularly fielding multiple platoons) and have always loved the MMOFPS aspect of the game which I've yet to see any other game come close to. If I'm honest, it's what intrigues me as a concept for Star Citizen: Large groups of people playing together in an engaging way (Not just right-click, set orbit, press f1, watch netflix till something happens).

I re-entered the world of Auraxis (the fictional planet that PS2 is set on) late last year, and if I'm honest not much has changed except slightly lower numbers although still surprisingly healthy after an absence of about 5 years. I joined another Outfit (the org/guild/clan name in ps2) and have been having a grand time in their nightly "Operations".

I was surprised and overjoyed when SOE announced that they were giving the support of PS2 to another development team, and what they've done since coming online has been a step in the right direction. 

The Bastion Carriers came alongside some other polish and fixing, along with some new game modes, but they were by far the most noticeable part of the update. It added a new dimension to the gameplay where a new factor had been introduced. The Bastion carrier allowed rapid deployment of ESF (fighter aircraft) to the front line from a mobile base. The loadout for these fighters is a preset setup, and honestly not how I would have set them up, that can be drawn for free. This created some swarm clouds that I haven't seen in PS2 for a long time. The Bastion is brought down by targeting some glowing orange areas which make assault from the air essential, fighting through its defensive craft, along with manned AA turrets. 

The Bastion also has the ability to automatically "shell" an area, providing a devastating (to both allies and enemies) barrage of constant explosive hell to anyone unlucky enough to be in the wrong place. And yes, I've had a few words to say to some allies who used this facility in a way that was less than helpful lol.

And finally Outfit mates can spawn into the craft. Allowing them to man Ground fire turrets, AA turrets or spawn the ESF I mentioned previously. The person who spawns the carrier is now the captain of the ship, and his experience is very different to everyone elses; he controls the craft in a fashion more like an RTS than an FPS.

If you haven't played PS2 before, or in a long time then this is an excellent time to pick it up as a free to play game. But I don't really need to tell you that. It looks like most of you have already come back.

• 1 month later...