Ongoing Discussion Need a web cam for FOIP?

Gremlich

I predict that the FOIP webcam that Faceware will be selling will be pricier than most backers want to pay - I'm thinking it will bump around $200 give or take. To be worth the purchase, a webcam shouldn't peg above $100 I'm thinking. You can use cheaper webcams, but they will be plagued with no low-light capability and FPS speeds not to your liking WRT to FOIP. I've seen faceware's video and photos showing how much better it is in low light. Grain of Salt, imho

Dpju5yeXUAAh36p.jpg:large

So, there's the Logitech C920 (discontinued but available for and C922 ($70-$80) - both very good but require a light source if you're a gamer playing in just monitor light. Streamers like them, but they tend to use studio-type lighting. https://www.bestadvisor.com/webcams/logitech-c920-vs-logitech-c922

ASccording to reviews, the C920 ($50 on Amazon) could capture 1080p or 720p at 30fps. The C922 Pro Stream ($100), however, can do either 1080p at 30fps or 720p at 60fps) (The logitech Brio is $200)

Razer has an option with it's own ring light (very nice for when you only have the light from your monitors) for $100 and it also handles 1080p/30fps and 720p/60fps with a 4:3 aspect ratio--> https://www.razer.com/gaming-broadcaster/razer-kiyo (order from Razer and it's free shipping)

CIG uses Brio's ($170 on Amazon), I suspect the Branded SC camera will be a re-badged Brio because it meets all the promised specifications (60FPS most importantly).   If CIG wants to sell me a webcam for that much money, it better be bundled with a Reliant Mako or something.

DQ9XAEjW0AUq0u4.jpg:large

image.thumb.png.52031e9c566a930c58759c45b519f3bd.png

There is alwaye the oppurtunity to build your own webcam to meet all the specifications like many twitch streamers are doing https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KA7WSSU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pick your CCD, pick your lense, 3d print the enclosure and go.

8 hours ago, GRIZZ said:

Pick your CCD, pick your lense, 3d print the enclosure and go.

And you also kit it out with LEDs, eh.

The Brio is a really good camera if you are up for spending the money. I'm getting the Kiyo and can let people know how it goes. Aspect ratio will also be key, the more of your face the camera sees, the better, provided you have adequate lighting.

What are they pricing the Official Facewear Cam to be?  I did not see a price for it. 

However this may turn out, I will get a good enough camera to go with the game.  The prices really are not a problem for me, but if I can get the same performance from a $100 cam as a $200 cam, I will obviously go with the $100 cam.  And speaking of, has anyone committed to getting the official cam?

2 hours ago, Rocket Man said:

What are they pricing the Official Facewear Cam to be?  I did not see a price for it. 

However this may turn out, I will get a good enough camera to go with the game.  The prices really are not a problem for me, but if I can get the same performance from a $100 cam as a $200 cam, I will obviously go with the $100 cam.  And speaking of, has anyone committed to getting the official cam?

I believe they are still registering interest, via the link i gave in an earlier post, before settling on a price. (Let's just hope that it isn't released in Waves...)