Anvil Valkyrie Dropship

Danakar Endeel

4 hours ago, VoA said:

Agree it is a silly conundrum - but ..... it is necessary for balance reasons and you'll agree if you think about it more from this perspective...... Ships on the Kraken will "stick" to the ship through acceleration and turns and even through Jump Points - so why wouldn't you be able to stack CARGO..... on top of the Kraken's Landing Pads if you want to = Because its a game ..... (not always consistent logically - and not always realistic - for balance reasons).... ;)

-----------

On another topic for the ship........ see this good instructional video for Valkyrie owners :excl:

VoA,

I am not going to agree after I think about it some more, especially since your comparison is apples to oranges.  Putting cargo inside your ship, is completely different than sitting cargo on a landing pad, outside the ship.  I understand it's a game and that balance is needed but to give a ship zero capability for cargo is just broken on so many levels.  If the whole point of the PU is to play the game "Your Way", then limiting people on which ship they can use to move cargo is really going against the grain.  I completely agree that not every ship should have a Hull-C capability, but they really need to think about common sense and enjoyment of the game.

For backers like you and I, who have $1000s of dollars worth of ships and many options to choose from; it can be overlooked a bit.  The backer that has only one ship is stuck with the limitations of the ship set forth by CIG.  That is bad business and it will lead to people getting frustrated early on in the game and most likely they will depart the game on bad terms, to include negative reviews, which in the long run will hurt the game even more.  I am not upset or heated in anyway, I am just voicing my opinion on something that should be addressed across all ships.

ZNC

2 hours ago, Sky Captain said:

Someone convince me why I should have a Valkyrie instead of a Terrapin. 🙂

Looking at the following link, I agreed with what some said elsewhere that the Valkyrie looks like what the Terrapin probably should have.   Terrapin's big brother.

https://sketchfab.com/models/50435df5549c4670aaf36d4fba42a57a

Well what do you want to do with your ship?

Explore and scan new worlds while transporting some troops or Transport and Extract 20 Troops from hot combat zones? Along with possibly 4 cyclone vehicles?

The deciding factor for me on whether this ship gets melted back into a Redeemer or not is whether it fits into a Javelin. Thankfully, after comparing the stats of the Vanguard, which is the Javelin away-craft poster child, and the Valkyrie, I am optimistic.

The Valkyrie comes in at:

Height: 9.5 meters

Length: 38 meters

Width: 28 meters

The fully folded Vanguard comes in at:

Height: 8.5 meters

Length: 37 meters

Width: 25 meters

Assuming the Vanguard isn’t absolutely jam-packed into the Javelin to start with, I’d say there is fair chance the Valkyrie will be a staple shuttlecraft for Javelin away teams across the ‘Verse.

We had a big Imperium group going a few times and thoroughly tested the Valkyrie... and would actually been able to get some where.. if @FoxChard didnt blow us all up and kill the server ;) :D
In any case, this makes me think., could you do a moving pick-up? keep the valkyrie moving and drive a cyclone in and then quickly take off?

1 hour ago, Fizzlefuse said:

We had a big Imperium group going a few times and thoroughly tested the Valkyrie... and would actually been able to get some where.. if @FoxChard didnt blow us all up and kill the server ;) :D
In any case, this makes me think., could you do a moving pick-up? keep the valkyrie moving and drive a cyclone in and then quickly take off?

I would guess you need some kind of ramp for the vehicle to make a small jump to do that

1 hour ago, Brightmist said:

You probably can if the terrain is straight enough.

Just open the back ramp while flying super low in a straight line at constant speed, uncouple and pitch up just a little so Cyclone can drive in.

Is the back ramp a physical object or does it clip into the ground?

As I know CIG its probably the former one and also procedurally created ground is seldom perfectly flat. So what happens when the ramp touches the ground does it cause damage? Also does it influence your ships course so you might crash? Because you probably have to get extremely low where the ramp is touching the ground else the vehicle can't cross that distance.

No idea because I don't have that ship just asking.

Maybe you can do it on some kind of road like surface and with the finer ship thrust control we get in 3.4? When its possible someone will do it and we see a video on reddit.

Ramp should be a physical object but I wouldn't expect clipping it to cause substantial damage.

I can't comment on them since I have't tried this in the past, yet, I might just try it with my cutlass and see what's up.

Equalizing speed of the vehicle and the ship should be easy enough.

Yea so I've tested it with Cutlass.

Ramp is a solid object but dragging it on the ground doesn't really do any damage to it but you can also bounce off the ground too.

So basically just set throttle while going in a straight line, uncouple, pitch up and strafe down so your ramp should make contact with ground and your friend following you driving a vehicle should theoretically boost to get in at the same time.

I don't think it's practical and I don't think you'd do it in a combat situation tho, you'd rather just land somewhere safe I think.

25 minutes ago, AstroJak said:

I think i'm going to ccu my harbinger to this ship. I cant wait for those epic ground invasions with a few Valkyrie accompanying an A2 or M2...

what movie moments are made of...

Aj

OUCH - CCU a Harbinger?? = Blaspheme :)

Out of the Bombers I have - The Javelin, Polaris, Tali, Eclipse, (used to have a Gladiator),...... ..... the Harbinger is my Favorite Bomber (and most versatile - able to hold its own - most likely in most fights while packing the punch of a bomber = with larger torpedoes than the Gladiator - not on the Matrix yet but size wise it will be + the rail gun and rocket turret + extra armor)......

.......suggest you find another ship to CCU ;)

Just took my Vanguard Warden, applied the Warden to Merchantman zero dollar upgrade I still have from 2 years ago (or was it 3), and got a Merchantman to Valkyrie upgrade for $25.  So now I need another Warden to turn into a Merchantman.  When did they make the Warden a limited ship?  Oh well, I assume it'll be back at the Anniversary sale.

I got to explore the Valc' a lot last night thanks to @Zeus Omega I really liked it but wish the airlock for the pilot was back further to encapsulate the remote gunner seats as well.  She is a beautiful ship that I belive will see its fair share of service in SQ42.  

The below video is not mine, but it was nice to notice the extra cockpit glass showing up on newer ships.

https://streamable.com/s/93y0j/oegnpv

Having both the Valkyrie and the Vanguard Hoplite, I'm hoping that both arent able to carry SCU in the future. While it does make sense for something like the Valk to have cargo (a large military spec dropship wouldnt just be limited to carrying vehicles and troops in real life), the main issue the the game is, if it did it would invalidate a lot of the medium size multi function ships that are currently in game, or cargo vessels that are currently in production.

I guess im also hoping the Hoplite has a greater operational range than the Valk as well, otherwise bar having the greater capability to defend itself its usefulness is questionable (not forgetting the Prowler of course).

On 10/18/2018 at 4:14 AM, GRIZZ said:

I got to explore the Valc' a lot last night thanks to @Zeus Omega I really liked it but wish the airlock for the pilot was back further to encapsulate the remote gunner seats as well.

There are a number of improvements which could be made, but for a first pass of a ship that went straight to flight ready without any announcement beforehand, it's alright. The biggest problem I have with it thus far is rear ramp access. Having buttons outside and inside like on the Cutlass would be the biggest quality of life improvement.

1 hour ago, GDrew said:

Having both the Valkyrie and the Vanguard Hoplite, I'm hoping that both arent able to carry SCU in the future. While it does make sense for something like the Valk to have cargo (a large military spec dropship wouldnt just be limited to carrying vehicles and troops in real life), the main issue the the game is, if it did it would invalidate a lot of the medium size multi function ships that are currently in game, or cargo vessels that are currently in production.

Not to mention that if you have the luxury of a landing zone to bring in dedicated cargo ships, you'd be bringing in something bigger than a Valkyrie. Though I do see a use for it in doing deliveries in hot LZs with loose cargo like ammo and med supplies.