GRIZZ

Crusader Mercury Starrunner

Nice Player Paint scheme - perfect for a smuggling ship and one that I would choose if an option :)

lzb0gnplo3k11.jpg

source.png

source.png

source.png

Submitted 8 hours ago
Comments / 3

Tactical scout of the Order EIHWAZ - MERCURY STAR RUNNER

Tactical scout of the Order EIHWAZ  MERCURY STAR RUNNER

source.png

25 minutes ago, Danakar Endeel said:

I found this size comparison over on Reddit showing the cargo area for the Mercury compared to the Cutlass. Seems pretty spot-on :)

Mercury96SCU.thumb.png.50cc7b72d219551b685932b4bbd9484d.png

I think the Cutlass looks a little small in that comparison, per what shows in this thread and post as the current Cutlass size (which could still change).  However, even if you do scale up the Cutlass a bit more along with the SCU size I agree with you and their assessment that 96 SCU should still fit in the Mercury.  It's the rest of the interior I wonder about that could cause the Mercury to grow just a little...

2 hours ago, Buckaroo said:

I think the Cutlass looks a little small in that comparison, per what shows in this thread and post as the current Cutlass size (which could still change).  However, even if you do scale up the Cutlass a bit more along with the SCU size I agree with you and their assessment that 96 SCU should still fit in the Mercury.  It's the rest of the interior I wonder about that could cause the Mercury to grow just a little...

You are correct @Buckaroo ++ some Reddit Users found other problems with the study on this thread....  +++ see the images in the thread you posted copied again below to compare

tavern_upload_large.png

7 points·3 hours ago

The listed dimensions for the Cutlass are wrong.

Wazzi-

1 point·2 hours ago

Isn't the cockpit too small for two seats though ?

These ships are still likely going though growing pains, the cutlass due to old metrics and the Mercury due to slight differences from concept to white/gray boxing although i think they would not change THAT much the Mercury will still likely be the larger one.

At the worst we could see SCU get smaller in size which would fix the ship size issue. Currently an SCU is:

1.25x1.25x1m with an internal dimension of 1m cubed. They might have to make the external size 1m cubed in order to correct the issue.

7 minutes ago, Donut said:

At the worst we could see SCU get smaller in size which would fix the ship size issue. Currently an SCU is:

1.25x1.25x1m with an internal dimension of 1m cubed. They might have to make the external size 1m cubed in order to correct the issue.

perhaps though that would F*&k with the artists and designers for all ships XD, i think the Mercury is just taking better use of space than the others i.e cargo can be stacked higher and the cockpit looks to be not that far from accurate though as the devs have said before ship design now is interior driven, also from what i have picked up regarding the roles of the ships to be the comparable length to width but encloses all that space unlike with the cutlass, we will have to see XD

https://imgur.com/r/starcitizen/PmJue  

Mercury layout.png

6 minutes ago, MericSever said:

perhaps though that would F*&k with the artists and designers for all ships XD, i think the Mercury is just taking better use of space than the others i.e cargo can be stacked higher and the cockpit looks to be not that far from accurate....

CIG does this all the time - the ship will get bigger trust me - not only to fit the cargo and correct cockpit size but earlier on the thread you can see an image doesn't quite fit the size of the interior to exterior...... interior is a bit too big for the exterior.

UTE5KFKAYvEipGn97oM4LYrA81nf-dkU8FNQuZOSW8U.png?s=7cdb1ed6f0dc07abe6e254bd3b48391a

tavern_upload_large.png

This image clearly shows that the Mercury is too small relative to the other ships and their interior (and here you can see a more correct Cutlass size)

tavern_upload_large.jpg

I think there is an actual majority of ships now that got bigger either in initial concept sale or soon after...... or during a rework (so it is more common than not ;) )

Hmmm, so you think the Mercury might have to grow and move closer to the volume equivalent of a Constellation Andromeda? I guess that makes sense as they are already very similar in terms of the components they use. :)

MercuryAndromeda-stats.png.08a7d0906e0c2b76d423edefef0960a6.png

I guess the Mercury may need to grow by ~20% in length and width or something then in order to make everything fit (and have enough space for the side-by-side cockpit seats)

2 hours ago, Danakar Endeel said:

Hmmm, so you think the Mercury might have to grow and move closer to the volume equivalent of a Constellation Andromeda? I guess that makes sense as they are already very similar in terms of the components they use. :)

MercuryAndromeda-stats.png.08a7d0906e0c2b76d423edefef0960a6.png

I guess the Mercury may need to grow by ~20% in length and width or something then in order to make everything fit (and have enough space for the side-by-side cockpit seats)

their in-lies the issue, the mercury already has the space for most if not all of as is, though the growth will probably only be 5-10% it makes up for it in height as its more crammed than the conni witch is more hollow tube and everything tacked on like the freelancer, they take a different design philosophy mercury being more asymmetrical in item placement and even the wings are quite fat giving space for placement and in its height (above rooms and below), where the freelancer and conni have a tube like stile and things built around it.

We SOOO need a side slice view 0.o

ps. sorry for the cr%p snip-it skills below XD

unknown space.PNG

Edited by MericSever
forgot to add

It's just a concept, every ship has changed internally (EG the Starfarer fudge job and the SF Gemini are basically the same). The ship WILL Change it's size and internal layout. However, the layout outside will try to keep the same as they did for concept. none of the concept art we have seen has matched 100% ship.

There is zero change of size slice as it doesn't exist. They did both separately drew external and internal. The only thing is the cargo will be the same 96 SCU and the various components. It's a concept pic, and a tech pic. However I don't like the few concept no names (*cough* Britain *cough*).

I'd rather have them work a FULLY fleshed out concept (not the detail). Also the SW falcon looked nothing like the  Mercury except for asymmetry.   Even the layout doesn't look anything like the ship. even the dishes  are different.

Also note the front and back different in height and the surface has an upwards angle from front to back and the down ward steps at the bridge.     

2 hours ago, Devil Khan said:

Seriously... INTERESTING???

^ same thought, the Mercury / Conni are quite different rolls they just share cargo capacity, I've flown the conni in a dog fight with the Drake Buccaneer and won (not easy) the CAT was easy though, the Mercury is not for fights at all, its a blockade info/cargo runner and the firing arks (at least by concept) are firing at ships chasing it (bad forward arks), the conni on the other hand is able to fight it out and protect it self .... also MISSILESSsSSssssssssss ...... sssssssss ..... sssss

The view is great excluding the bars inbetween tge glass panel. I've meantioned it before, the mercury has zero sight above and the sides. Also it has got a snub fighter as well. I have to say the forward arc is large screen of death. All weapons have clear shot.

This doesn't have a forward of all turrets.

16 minutes ago, Danakar Endeel said:

Rhokanl over on Reddit made a new SCU comparison picture.  :)

Still means jack as the cutlass has been changed from 29.xx to 35.xx and the Mercury will change probably 42 - 45 from 40.

still using the new metrics you can get a guesstimate for them anyway

Edit. actually looking at the above image its using the new one XD still the Mercury will grow

Cutlass.jpg

Cutlass 2.jpg

19 minutes ago, MericSever said:

Edit. actually looking at the above image its using the new one XD still the Mercury will grow 

this was just a quick mock-up in paint its off but you get the idea

SHip.png

1 hour ago, Danakar Endeel said:

MercuryCaterpillarCutlassSCU.thumb.jpg.82c4f788ff4600a4ffaa2f2685487a7a.jpg

Looks good!  The Constellation's cargo area holds 4 high, 4 wide, and 6 long of cargo (if I remember correctly from my Aquila cargo runs) to make its 96 SCU.  If that's accurate that would make the Mercury's cargo room just as long as the Constellation's, but not as high.

19 hours ago, Devil Khan said:

MSR-Concept-5.jpg

MSR-Concept-6.jpg

Think it is very clear that this Interior is quite a bit bigger than the exterior and will likely have to grow in size for the ship to accomodate - what you see in the image above in comparison the the interior of the Cutlass.   Look at the size of the spaces and use the people as scale reference....

On 9/6/2018 at 12:02 PM, MericSever said:

found this one witch is better

pic3.jpg

Mercury is too small in image above to fit its interior (above) or its cargo per below...

On 9/6/2018 at 11:17 AM, Danakar Endeel said:

MercuryCaterpillarCutlassSCU.thumb.jpg.82c4f788ff4600a4ffaa2f2685487a7a.jpg

Also the Image of the Cargo above is still wrong given the size of the cargo boxes in the Cutlass are way too small compared to the actual interior of the Cutlass Black.

===========

It's pretty much assured that the Mercury will increase in size..... like most ships out of Concept ;)

CRUS_MERCURY_Action_Shot_SM03.jpg

Q&A: Crusader Mercury

Following the launch of the Mercury Star Runner from Crusader Industries, we took your top voted questions to our designers in an effort to get you more information about this recently revealed data runner.

If you haven’t watched the recent Ship Shape on the Mercury, you can do so here. We also sat down with the developers behind the ship in a special Townhall Q&A, LIVE from Gamescom which you can watch here.

Special thanks to John Crewe and Todd Papy for taking the time to answer questions.

What are the differences in scanning between a ship like the Terrapin and the Mercury? Are they similar enough that a Mercury can be fitted to perform a Terrapin’s role equally well, or better?

Dedicated scanning ships, or ships equipped with dedicated scanners are built around that gameplay, which is not what the Mercury is built for. The Mercury’s scanners are only good enough to intercept local communications, rather than scanning of unknown areas or picking up low signatures at distance like the Terrapin can. The Terrapin, when crewed effectively, will always surpass the Mercury in terms of scanning efficiency. Think of the Mercury as a hybrid cargo ship, between freight and data.

Considering its weaponry and supposed light armor, shouldn’t the Mercury be faster than the Cutlass or Vanguard, which are armored and have more firepower? To follow up, the Mercury is considered to be fast, but the stats shows us it’s not much faster than a Freelancer. Can we expect the speeds to be adjusted?

As always, all stats are subject to change and if we find out during production the Mercury isn’t fast enough to fulfil its role we’ll adjust as necessary. Generally as ships get larger they get slower in the current design, so as the Mercury sits in between the Freelancer and Cutlass, it currently sits in between their speed ranges, although there are a whole host of parameters aside from top speed we use but don’t show to adjust their handling characteristics.

Mentioned in the design notes for Electronic Warfare, the Drake Herald will have a dedicated e-war suite. Will the Mercury follow this data-running trend and also have e-war capabilities?

Having a dedicated e-war suite was not part of the original design for the ship and at this time is not being considered for addition, instead leaving the functionality on other ships such as the Herald and Sentinel. However, a dedicated e-war suite is not a requirement for data hacking.

Will the Mercury enter the ship pipeline soon and serve as the template for the larger Crusader ships?

Keep an eye on the roadmap for more information on when this ship will enter production. The design work done on the Star Runner and Starlifter will both be used as reference for the larger ships, such as the Starliner.

Is the Mercury expected to be able to fit through Small Jump Points?

Jump point sizing and categorisation is still being worked out, but we expect the Mercury to fit through the same size jump points as the Freelancer.

Is the back ramp the only entrance to the ship?

The back ramp is the only entrance to the ship, and it has no docking collar or secondary lift entrances.

Why only 3 beds and max crew of 3 when you have a pilot, copilot, and 2 turret gunners? Shouldn’t it have 4 beds and be max crew of 4?

This was an intentional choice to make players choose between the roles. There is actually 5 distinct stations on the ship (Pilot, CoPilot, Scanning, 2x Turret) and we want players to react and choose what they want to do in various scenarios. Increasing the crew capacity means significant other knock-ons to ship design in terms of size and features, and we want to keep this ship relatively compact and focused.

As a “versatile” ship, will the Mercury have variants or modules to remove the data running equipment and focus the ship on a different role?

There are no plans to have any additional variants or modules at this time. The original brief was for a ship to do these two specific roles (cargo and data running) rather than be modular and changed into different roles.

Can you give us a gameplay example of legal data collection vs illegal collection, ideally including both PvE & PvP scenarios?

An example of legal data collection in PvE would be a mission along the lines of scanning a certain location for information, such as asteroid composition/density. Alternatively, you may recieve a mission to find specific player owned ships & their locations, which will need to be reported back the mission giver. Illegal data collection would be something more along the lines of intercepting sensitive information between two ships for PvE or intercepting and beating another player to delivery on an existing data running mission.

Does the Mercury have a bathroom, kitchen, dining table, gun rack and armor storage for all crew members?

The bathroom, kitchen, dining table and gun racks are shared between all crew members. Each crew member also has their own suit storage locker near their bunk.

Does the Mercury have an airlock for EVA, or will we need to decompress the entire cargo room to get out of the ship in space?

There is no secondary entrance/exit, so the cargo room must be decompressed to enter or exit the ship in space. There is an airlock to the rest of the ship, and the turrets are sealed off to prevent further decompression.

What are the differences in scanning between a ship like the Terrapin and the Mercury? Are they similar enough that a Mercury can be fitted to perform a Terrapin’s role equally well, or better?

Dedicated scanning ships, or ships equipped with dedicated scanners are built around that gameplay, which is not what the Mercury is built for. The Mercury’s scanners are only good enough to intercept local communications, rather than scanning of unknown areas or picking up low signatures at distance like the Terrapin can. The Terrapin, when crewed effectively, will always surpass the Mercury in terms of scanning efficiency. Think of the Mercury as a hybrid cargo ship, between freight and data.

I guess this early on would be the case and I'm very happy that cig isn't making a all powerful ship that supersedes the older ships

Mentioned in the design notes for Electronic Warfare, the Drake Herald will have a dedicated e-war suite. Will the Mercury follow this data-running trend and also have e-war capabilities?

Having a dedicated e-war suite was not part of the original design for the ship and at this time is not being considered for addition, instead leaving the functionality on other ships such as the Herald and Sentinel. However, a dedicated e-war suite is not a requirement for data hacking.

Likewise this makes me pleased as with the previous question

The question below however proves that I was wrong about the ship growing in size but I think it's actually more likely that they'll have to issue a correction on this and the ship will indeed grow since doesn't realistically fit the interior concept sketch to the exterior including its overall Hull and the double cockpit size

Is the Mercury expected to be able to fit through Small Jump Points?

Jump point sizing and categorisation is still being worked out, but we expect the Mercury to fit through the same size jump points as the Freelancer.