I am getting ready to build another PC due to the fact that my current rig is going on 4 yrs old (still solid) and I am passing it on to my kids so they can start to dabble in the PC realm.

My current rig is a mini ITX.  Although it was fun, I'm going back to a micro ATX mid tower size.

New build -

CPU- Intel i7-8700k

Cooler - NZXT Kraken X62 Rev2

Mobo - Asus ROG STRIX Z370-G Gaming (mATX)

Memory - Corsair Vegnance RGB Pro 16gb DDR4-3000

Storage - Samsung 860 Evo 1TB

GPUAsus GTX 1080 8gb ROG STRIX , but if new cards pop soon might swap.

Case - Corsair Crystal 280X RGB mATX mid tower

PSU - Corsair HX Platinum 750w 

Also gonna grab a 32" ultra wide to pair up with a 27"

So this will be a RGB build with most of the components having that feature.  I want to build a solid rig but not trying to max anything out this time around as I will probably do another build in a few years.

Will throw up some pics once its done.

the GPU announcement is tomorrow? 

Seems like a great build, I would maybe look for a mobo with some more future upgrade options and maybe up the ram to 32GB with the newer mobo but other than that a solid build. Personally I'm not a fan of the mATX boards unless you're building a portable LAN box.

2700x vs i7-8700 benchmark comparison

1800x vs i7-8700 benchmark comparison

1700x vs i7-8700 benchmark comparison

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Faq/How-does-IPC-compare-between-AMDs-Ryzen-and-Intels-Kaby-Lake/108

However, an Intel fan will always choose an Intel, cuz reasons. (single and quad score higher, but lag in multi-threading above 4)

Frankly, wait until the new Nvidia GPU's to hit the market and then wait for OCS and BC to drop to see what you want to build for.

So with the new gpu prices and timing to hit markets I'm going to move forward with the 1080 I ordered. I would have been interested in the 2070 founders but no telling when it will be available

Planning another higher end build in approx 2 years and passing this one down the line so, we will get there. 

Should have some build pics this weekend if all goes to plan 😁

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Gremlich
      I get these notifications in the email - lots of great deals to be found for RAM, SSDs, etc
      Newegg and Microcenter, sometimes PNY, mostly Newegg, though, 
      really! get moar stuff, NO REALLY!!

buy buy buy!! good deals on SSDs, DDR4 RAM, next gen Intel CPUs
      And if you want help kitting out a computer, use pcpartpicker
      If you want help building a computer, there are loads of videos on newegg and youtube (for instance 
      just go to Youtube and search for "build a gaming computer" and you'll get lots of options to view.)

• By Gremlich
      I predict that the FOIP webcam that Faceware will be selling will be pricier than most backers want to pay - I'm thinking it will bump around $200 give or take. To be worth the purchase, a webcam shouldn't peg above $100 I'm thinking. You can use cheaper webcams, but they will be plagued with no low-light capability and FPS speeds not to your liking WRT to FOIP. I've seen faceware's video and photos showing how much better it is in low light. Grain of Salt, imho

So, there's the Logitech C920 (discontinued but available for and C922 ($70-$80) - both very good but require a light source if you're a gamer playing in just monitor light. Streamers like them, but they tend to use studio-type lighting. https://www.bestadvisor.com/webcams/logitech-c920-vs-logitech-c922
      ASccording to reviews, the C920 ($50 on Amazon) could capture 1080p or 720p at 30fps. The C922 Pro Stream ($100), however, can do either 1080p at 30fps or 720p at 60fps) (The logitech Brio is $200)
      Razer has an option with it's own ring light (very nice for when you only have the light from your monitors) for $100 and it also handles 1080p/30fps and 720p/60fps with a 4:3 aspect ratio--> https://www.razer.com/gaming-broadcaster/razer-kiyo (order from Razer and it's free shipping)

• By Gremlich
      https://hothardware.com/news/nvidia-stealthily-launches-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-gddr5x
      This could be another option for players wanting to extend their PC gaming rig dollars. I stopped using the GTX-60 series cards, finding the GTX-70 series cards better overall for gaming.
      I'll look for a comparison chart for 1070's later
      GeForce_GTX_1060_Chart.webp