VoA

Star Trek Captain Picard Returns

The fact he keeps saying it won't be the same JLP as we've known, and the fact that "he has been changed by his experiences" makes me wonder if it's gonna be a TLJ - style transformation... i.e. He's now a bitter, old man with no idealism.

6 hours ago, Chimaera said:

The fact he keeps saying it won't be the same JLP as we've known, and the fact that "he has been changed by his experiences" makes me wonder if it's gonna be a TLJ - style transformation... i.e. He's now a bitter, old man with no idealism.

Yeah, or this 'new' Picard might turn out to be some 'women's rights' activist while Spock is now a transgender soyboy who lost his logic. :P

23 hours ago, Chimaera said:

After watching this 

It reminds me... that Sir Stewart is a rare kind of actor. He's old school, completely committed and hard work to do what's right for his character and the story. Like Bryan Cranston on acting steroids! Not sure if any of you have seen Sir Stewart perform in a broadway play... but he's special.

Anything he does, for this new TNG... 20 years after Nemesis... it's going to be absolutely excellent... from Sir Stewart. You can take that to the bank!

17 hours ago, Danakar Endeel said:

Yeah, or this 'new' Picard might turn out to be some 'women's rights' activist

You mean he wasn't already? If Jean Luc Picard were a real person, the "intellectual dark web" would be making videos nearly every day with thumbnails of him photoshopped with pink hair.

This series would have to be post-Nemesis if it's going to remain in the Prime timeline. That means that this Picard has dealt with The Borg numerous times (once almost losing his entire crew), has fought in the Dominion War, survived an assassination attempt by his own clone and watched Data blow himself up to stop it. He may be more weary than he was in TNG, but I doubt Sir Patrick Stewart would let the legacy of JLP be twisted and tarnished in a show that is clearly a kneejerk by CBS to get fans back onboard after Discovery got it ass handed to it by The Orville.

But then again Patrick Stewart also decided it was a good idea to play a literal piece of shit in the Emoji Movie, so for all I know he's lost his mind.

21 hours ago, Devil Khan said:

Doesn't it strike you odd that Captain picard even during TNG time was just a Captain for so many years and had not advanced for his career at all.   

He commanded a Galaxy-class and Sovereign-class battleship. Even if he didn't make it into Starfleet's senior admiralty, being given command of ships such as that is an indication of what how well regarded that officer is.

And keep in mind Picard is also a partially de-assimilated Borg who still has several implants inside of him. Just that alone is enough to make him worthy of suspicion in the eyes of a lot of senior command staff.

blah blah blah :) He was still a captain, from the first episode of TNG.

9 years to get a US Naval captain.

Rank of Captain

Captain, the O-6 officer pay grade, is the highest rank that a naval officer can attain without congressional approval in addition to the presidential approval that's part of commissioning and officer promotion. Before receiving a recommendation for promotion from commander to captain, the officer must have completed three years of service in the grade of commander, to satisfy the minimum time-in-grade requirement. In addition, the captain-selectee must have between 21 and 23 years of total military service before the O-6 selection board meets to consider the promotion. The O-6 selection board chooses approximately 50 percent of the recommended officers for promotion, depending partly on the needs of the service.

You'd think that after so many events that he would be a walk medal Admiral man or unless he his really just a grossly incompetent and his staff constantly have to clean up his mess. :D