A super racer pathfinder, i.e., Origin 350srp

Rebelsoul

If I buy the 350r, switch out it's twin Hammer engines with a pair of Dragon Stellar's from the 315p...would I have a super duper exploration ship that's fast and hardly has to make pit stops?  Can you even upgrade/replace engines like that?  Thank you for all your future input.

They did mention in the latest comm-link that the ship has a different chassis. Could well be that the 350r is limited to max 2x TR3.

I am looking forward to taking mine out for a spin though. She's a beaut.

DF

They did mention in the latest comm-link that the ship has a different chassis. Could well be that the 350r is limited to max 2x TR3.

Given what we know currently, I think this is likely. 

That being said, there's no reason to think you won't be able to get better TR3's than what come in the vehicle.   If not at launch, sometime shortly after launch there's bound to be upgraded thrusters of all classes available. 

On paper the 300 series can take a tr4.  I'm thinking that without a massive reactor though that might not be enough to power 2 x TR4's (on the 350).  I was thinking of at least replacing the 4.3's with two 5.3's for some extra umpf.  We'll have to wait and see how things pan out.

Given the number of ships alot of us have, we should be having an interesting time when the Hanger Module comes out (as RSI said we can customise our ships at that point).

We'll have to wait and see.  

I was thinking of trying TR4's just like you Rebelsoul.  =)  great minds brother *laughs*

Also given the M50 is lighter.. even with 2 x TR4's.  The 350 will be a little slower or less responsive perhaps.

On paper the 300 series can take a tr4.  I'm thinking that without a massive reactor though that might not be enough to power 2 x TR4's (on the 350).  I was thinking of at least replacing the 4.3's with two 5.3's for some extra umpf.  We'll have to wait and see how things pan out.

Given the number of ships alot of us have, we should be having an interesting time when the Hanger Module comes out (as RSI said we can customise our ships at that point).

We'll have to wait and see.  

I was thinking of trying TR4's just like you Rebelsoul.  =)  great minds brother *laughs*

Also given the M50 is lighter.. even with 2 x TR4's.  The 350 will be a little slower or less responsive perhaps.

A guy on another forum actually compiled a lot of info on the Origin vehicles (300i in particular) and apparently the 350r is the fastest STOCK ship in the game, while the M50 is faster after mods.  Basically the 350r is fast out of the box but only has a few upgrade slots.  The M50 is a bit slower out of the box, but has far more upgrade capacity, making it faster overall.  

Also, since they've said the 350r is a totally different chassis to accommodate the twin engines, there's no guarantee it can still use a TR4 like the other 300-series ships.  

A guy on another forum actually compiled a lot of info on the Origin vehicles (300i in particular) and apparently the 350r is the fastest STOCK ship in the game, while the M50 is faster after mods.  Basically the 350r is fast out of the box but only has a few upgrade slots.  The M50 is a bit slower out of the box, but has far more upgrade capacity, making it faster overall.  

Also, since they've said the 350r is a totally different chassis to accommodate the twin engines, there's no guarantee it can still use a TR4 like the other 300-series ships.  

How?  M50 is lighter and has twin TR4's, 350r is heavier and has Twin TR3's.

Beats me.  But apparently the source is someone from CIG.  I'll see if he can shed a little light on it. 

EDIT: It's listed in the FAQ from this thread: 

The ship specs only indicate that largest thruster that a ship can mount, NOT what it comes equipped with.

For example, the 300i's specs indicate it has a TR4 thruster, but the basic 300i Touring model has a TR3 main thruster. Only the 315p Exploration ship has a TR4 thruster.

So even though the M50's specs indicate it has 2 x TR4 thrusters, the base model M50 probably only comes with twin TR3s, like the 350r Racing model. I expect the 350r's engine is more powerful than the basic M50, which is why the 350r is faster, despite it being 3 tons heavier.

It's no different than RL cars. Most base model compact or mid-size sedans have 2-L 4-cylinder engines and start below $20,000. Then there are all the available options, like more powerful V6 or V8 engines, which quickly push the price tag north of $30,000.

The 300i starts at $55 (for Original Backers like me). The M50 sold for $85. The limited 350r is selling for $100, nearly double to the 300i's starting price. If the M50 is available again to buy, I expect the Racing M50 will run between $120-150.

Reavern, if what you believe is true, then CIG should update the ship development document. If they write at the M50-section "Thrusters: 2 x TR4, 8 x TR2" then I assume that the ship is delivered with these specs. Otherwise we could all buy ships that are equipped with TR1s instead of what the specs say.

I think RSI's official Ship Design Doc should indicate each ship's standard template, not a particular model or variant of the ship. It should indicate a ship's optimal configuration or capacity. Therefore, the "Origin 300 series" (instead of 300i) has 1 x TR4 and 12 x TR1 thrusters, 6 upgrade slots, 2 engine mods, 2 x Class-1 hardpoints, 1 x Class-2, 2 x Class-3, mass 20 tons, and cargo capacity 8 tons. I think that covers everything.

Then they should do model-specific ship specs, like the 300i, 315p, 325a, and 350r. Same with the Aurora variants. Same with all future ship brochures.

Then we'd understand what a ship was capable of, and wouldn't be mislead by what a ship supposedly has, but when that ship's brochure is released, it's base specs are revised, and it loses most of its weapons, etc..

Reavern, if what you believe is true, then CIG should update the ship development document. If they write at the M50-section "Thrusters: 2 x TR4, 8 x TR2" then I assume that the ship is delivered with these specs. Otherwise we could all buy ships that are equipped with TR1s instead of what the specs say.

As I understand it the ship document is just old. They don't update it very regularly. So the document has initial design specifications which have been changed in the meantime.

• 1 month later...

There will be special stealth engines -- I know one was mentioned which reduces the jet plume emitted by the engine. However, supposedly the player can reduce their ship's detectability by simply operating the engine at reduced power, as well as cutting the engine completely and coasting through space. I expect a fast ship like the 350r would be an excellent stealth ship because it can accelerate to Top Speed quickly then coast, reducing the amount of time it can be detected by sensors.

• 1 month later...

I think the 350r is (at least currently) the best single-seat ship with a bed which is why I want one. I think it will end up being much more versatile than simply being a racer (but who doesn't like some speed anyway :D).  I also really like Reavern's idea of turning it into a speedy stealth ship. Hopefully it becomes available again sometime in the next couple of weeks!

Ye from what CIG wrote the 350r is used by the UEE as stealth combat ships!

Would make sense for something like hit and run tactics I think. Especially cause it has one more hardpoint than the m50. Yes both will loose in symmetrical warfare against Hornets regularly but who is doing that anyway.

I will equip my m50 with the best short range ammo-based guns and missiles. Then try to evade my enemy through superiour maneuvering and kill him from behind.

The equivalent of running or sneaking in someones back with a shotgun, barrel touching the head and pulling the trigger. I suppose same thing will work with a 350R. In some situations even very limited firepower might be enough.

• 3 months later...