My first REAL gaming pc

Zee

Hey all,

Ok, so I finally took the dive! Its taken me years to give in but I finally did it. I've never built a pic from scratch but I plan to do some serious gaming and streaming via YouTube and Twitch. I also want to play/stream in 4k. So excited!

Screenshot_2018-06-22-13-45-31-1.thumb.png.16d9e1b0cad85246e7464a0ced03f8cb.pngScreenshot_2018-06-22-13-44-29-1.thumb.png.97a3e46d0d48f10e002150fadb6e6c03.pngScreenshot_2018-06-22-13-44-38-1.thumb.png.e14e539bc058fc69b0e56272041ad285.pngScreenshot_2018-06-22-13-44-43-1.thumb.png.bd94cc23254a6aba0c37fedcb84a9656.png

Looks pretty awesome and I hope you'll have a great time with it! Not overly familiar with the 8086K though and it seems a little light on RAM but that's just me. :D

Personally I went with the 8700k and 32GB (2x16) RAM when I built my rig. Mine doesn't have as fancy looking a case as yours though. :)

35 minutes ago, Danakar Endeel said:

Looks pretty awesome and I hope you'll have a great time with it! Not overly familiar with the 8086K though and it seems a little light on RAM but that's just me. :D

Personally I went with the 8700k and 32GB (2x16) RAM when I built my rig. Mine doesn't have as fancy looking a case as yours though. :)

The 8086k came with s slight discount, so that's why I went with it. I originally had a 7700k or 8700k slated to in that spot. I wanted to go with the same RAM layout @ 3200 speed. I'll just look to upgrade it later I suppose.

19 minutes ago, Zarian said:

The 8086k came with s slight discount, so that's why I went with it. I originally had a 7700k or 8700k slated to in that spot. I wanted to go with the same RAM layout @ 3200 speed. I'll just look to upgrade it later I suppose.

Ah, alright. I actually had to look it up as I never even heard about the 8086K but I now see that it was a very recent release because of their 40th anniversary. Still looks like a pretty solid CPU when compared to the 8700K though :)

Yeah, the 16GB should be fine though and RAM is easy enough to upgrade if needs be in the future. ;)

10 hours ago, Zarian said:

Yeah, this is my first custom build. At some point I'll get into liquid cooling and so on. I'm still getting the basics of pc building. In the future, I'd like to run dual gpu's (assuming they correct the stutter). 😔

No worries, most of it is basically plug-n-play these days so putting it together shouldn't be too much trouble. Just refer to the manual of the mainboard when needed and watch out for static discharges when assembling the components. ;)

I got a pretty big shock when unboxing my case due to all the styrofoam and friction. So unless you already bought it with assembly included a little static armband will take care of it while assembling the pieces yourself.  :)

313JV514DWL.jpg

In case you're wondering, this was my build :P

Question, how many fans do you use for intake vs. those you use for (expel)? I've generally hard that a 2:1 ratio is optimal. I would like to have a 1:1 ratio but don't want to much negative airflow.

3 hours ago, Zarian said:

Question, how many fans do you use for intake vs. those you use for (expel)? I've generally hard that a 2:1 ratio is optimal. I would like to have a 1:1 ratio but don't want to much negative airflow.

Heh, I'm not really an expert on that and I think my system isn't set up optimally for airflow either. Especially because I am pulling my air in through my Corsair Hydro H115i radiator that may not have been meant for use in this case due to its bulk. :P

I have 2 140 fans in the front as intake while I use only 1 120 fan as an exhaust in the back. So the main issue I may encounter is that my intake pulls cold air throught the radiator first and warmed up air gets in the case forcing my single 120 fan to work overtime in getting the hot air out.

Might have been better to use the back fan as an intake and use the front as exhaust or extra 120 fans in the top or something but I figured that as long as my temperatures stay within normal operating ranges it should be fine with my current setup. That and the back doesn't have a dust filter while my front panel has one running along the whole length. And I don't like dust in my system. :)

Personally I'm guessing that the best approach would be to have 3 120 fans in the front as an intake while your radiator sits in the top and with 2x 140 fans as exhaust with another 120 in the back as a regular casefan. But I think it also depends on the type of case you're using and the amount of air displacement of the fans used. As such I'd suggest checking up on your particular case for optimal airflow setups or maybe someone over in the Hardware section of these forums can help out. :D

https://forums.starcitizenbase.com/forum/214-hardware/

Then again you normally use a fan controller so the system monitors itself and regulates airflow automatically. I actually made the mistake of hooking up my case fan to a watercooler header by accident and was almost driven insane by the noise until I found out that particular header would always be set to max rpm. :P  

I'll simply say to @Zarian that now isn't the time to buy a new gaming PC because the price of graphics cards are still inflated because of the e-currency mining rush and NVIDIA is expected to release the new GTX 1180 at the end of July.

I know that NVIDIA is pretending like the GTX 1180's release is "a long way off" and there's currently a surplus of over-priced GTX 1000 series CPUs on the market, but leaks from the manufacturing side of the GPU industry are the best indicators, and those indicate that Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte, MSI, etc. are preparing to retool their manufacturing lines for the new GTX 1180. That's the point of no return. NVIDIA can't tell them to prepare, then reneg just because there's a ton of GTX 1080 and 1080 Ti's still on the market.

Don't fall for NVIDIA's head games, they just want to sell off as many GTX 1000 series GPUs as they can because they made too many for e-currency mining. The giveaway is that they're being extremely vague. They're not lying, technically, they're using ambiguous language to give the impression that the GTX 1180 won't be released in 2018, but they're not explicitly saying it will be released Q1 2019 either.

Even IF  the GTX 1180 is delayed a few more months, it makes more sense to wait than buy a GTX 1080 Ti now, because the 1180 is supposedly 30-50% more powerful for the same price, or cheaper. It'll also draw less power and run cooler and quieter than the 1080 Ti.

That's why I strongly recommend sitting tight until the GTX 1180 is released.

That's what I'm doing. I burned out my 780 Ti a few weeks ago and I've been using my CPU's onboard graphics ever since. I've been tempted to buy a GTX 1060 as an interim solution, but I've resisted so far. I'm waiting on the GTX 1180.

1 hour ago, Reavern said:

I'll simply say to @Zarian that now isn't the time to buy a new gaming PC because the price of graphics cards are still inflated because of the e-currency mining rush and NVIDIA is expected to release the new GTX 1180 at the end of July.

I know that NVIDIA is pretending like the GTX 1180's release is "a long way off" and there's currently a surplus of over-priced GTX 1000 series CPUs on the market, but leaks from the manufacturing side of the GPU industry are the best indicators, and those indicate that Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte, MSI, etc. are preparing to retool their manufacturing lines for the new GTX 1180. That's the point of no return. NVIDIA can't tell them to prepare, then reneg just because there's a ton of GTX 1080 and 1080 Ti's still on the market.

Don't fall for NVIDIA's head games, they just want to sell off as many GTX 1000 series GPUs as they can because they made too many for e-currency mining. The giveaway is that they're being extremely vague. They're not lying, technically, they're using ambiguous language to give the impression that the GTX 1180 won't be released in 2018, but they're not explicitly saying it will be released Q1 2019 either.

Even IF  the GTX 1180 is delayed a few more months, it makes more sense to wait than buy a GTX 1080 Ti now, because the 1180 is supposedly 30-50% more powerful for the same price, or cheaper. It'll also draw less power and run cooler and quieter than the 1080 Ti.

That's why I strongly recommend sitting tight until the GTX 1180 is released.

That's what I'm doing. I burned out my 780 Ti a few weeks ago and I've been using my CPU's onboard graphics ever since. I've been tempted to buy a GTX 1060 as an interim solution, but I've resisted so far. I'm waiting on the GTX 1180.

Man! I've read so much about the 1180 and honestly most of it reads as misdirection. My previous pc died about four months ago and I need my fix LoL. Either way, I still plan on getting an 1180. I'll just hand the 1080ti over to my son. I keep him one gen behind me anyway. Can't let him get a leg up on the ol man. 😂😂

8 minutes ago, Zarian said:

Man! I've read so much about the 1180 and honestly most of it reads as misdirection. My previous pc died about four months ago and I need my fix LoL. Either way, I still plan on getting an 1180. I'll just hand the 1080ti over to my son. I keep him one gen behind me anyway. Can't let him get a leg up on the ol man. 😂😂

You can do what you want with your money, but IMO you're just playing into NVIDIA's hands. NVIDIA capitalized on the e-currency mining rush and neglected gamers for 6+ months, and now that the bubble has burst, they're not normalizing GPU prices, despite that the market is FLOODED with 1080s and 1080 Ti's. And they're acting like the GTX 1180 isn't being released soon to trick people into buying those cards.

I don't have much choice regarding what graphics card to buy, because AMD's cards are nowhere as powerful, but I'm not going to buy an over-priced NVIDIA card now and regret it in a month or two. I'm going to be patient and smart, and buy the best card as soon as it's available.

If I were you, I'd wait and buy an 1180 for yourself and an 1170 for your son, because the 1170 will supposedly be released around the same time as the 1180, and it'll definitely be cheaper than the 1080 Ti is now, but more powerful and efficient. You'll pay less and get more.

• 2 years later...

I hope you installed an optimization software because Windows collects all unnecessary and residual files which might decrease your PC performance. I have a powerful PC too and personally I'm using Winutilites it deleted a lot of trash files and I can say that my performance increased. Check this article and choose the best pc optimization software for your system. There are described a lot of cleaners their features and price.

• 4 months later...
On 6/24/2018 at 6:58 AM, Zee said:

I run a Corsair Air 540 case (verra nice, no RGB!!) with three 120mm Antec fans in the front (rubber bush mounts) drawing in, an Arctic Cooling Freezer 240 up top with 4 120mm Arctic Cooling fans (2xpush, 2xpull) really quiet) drawing up/out and a single Antec 120mm (rubber bush mounts) in the back drawing out. (the stock AC AIO coolers come with one set of fans, but I think you can double up with them. really easy to install)

MOAR cooling is good.

I'm currently running an AMD 3800X running at 4.3 GHz, a Samsung 256GB M.2 OS drive (only OS, everything else goes on other SSD or HDD drives), a 256GB Intel Optane just for Star Citizen, 64GB 3200 RAM, and a single GTX1070ti. in this shot, I had an FX-8350 OC'd @4.3 GHz and 2xGTX970 SSC.

Air540-01b.jpg

2xGTX970.jpg