CyberianK

My Brexit road trip - GER to Northern Scotland and back

Hey everyone, thought I'd post it here as we are so international and many UK peoples.

Have a little trip planned from Frankfurt, Germany by car to Aberdeen north of Edinburgh in Scotland. Inspiration was my work contract says I can only drive my company car inside EU borders so I thought why not drive around UK. This is my currently planned route:

prCW3gn.png

google maps route

Frankfurt, Germany
Aachen, Germany
Antwerp, Belgium
Bruges, Belgium
Dunkirk, France
Calais, France
Dover, UK  (by ferry)
Canterbury, UK
Cambridge, UK
York, UK
Whitby, UK
Durham, UK
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Alnwick, UK
Edinburgh, UK
Aberdeen, UK

Have 14-17 days available first two weeks of August and will have lots of camping and hiking equipment with me. Will try to use mostly cheap lodging so I can spend the money on other stuff will not book stuff in advance so I am flexible where I can go each day. When in Scotland I want to do lots of half day hiking in different places.

As theres many UK peoples here and I will also travel through parts of Belgium and a little bit of France I thought I'd ask if anyone has any MUST see places they know along the way or other important advice. Have already used other sites more suitable for planning this so the route is not that random but has many nice places along the way and I also know most of the basics that said go for it if you can think of anything.

Well sadly you won't get to see Stonehenge on that route. and Dorset and Devon are beautiful counties on the south west coastline. Bristol and Cardiff are also nice plesent cities to visit also.

(Shakespeare's) stratford upon avon is a must.

Snowdonia or the Brecon Beacons are also a fantasic place to go and see.

Weak... pure weak... only 4 countries? only 23 hr on a good day :)

Anyway, if you like very cramped, no toilet, very little room for baggage for the journey... then book the cheapest airline instead :D.

Btw which did you vote  for bext  or against leaving? Road trip discussion would be suited :D

Also, go to Rotterdam and visit the Red light district heh.

4 hours ago, Devil Khan said:

Btw which did you vote  for bext  or against leaving? Road trip discussion would be suited :D

Nah its a bummer they did not let ze Germanz vote on Brexit for some reason. As for 23 hours I will be driving zigzag on smaller roads and deviate to many nice locations it will probably be many more miles.

@Dragon-Knight done deal :)

On 23.6.2018 at 1:33 PM, WarWulf said:

@CyberianK @Dragon-Knight Count me in on that. Be good to see you both again.

What are you looking for? Historic sites? Quaint British pubs? Hardcore dance clubs? Super science stuff?

Anything goes... except for Hardcore dance clubs :)

For the whole trip lots of historic sites and nature but I am mainly exploring and open to whatever I find

I had a strangw image for some reason. If anybody had seen red dwarf where the guys acted as the actors and red dwarf was a TV series. Well  I just imagined a compact car with the fake body of an Aurora  head down the motor way with five guys crammed into it. Every time I think of it I get a fit of laughing at the wrong place IE library got stared at with death ray eyes, drinking tea as I had the though almost lost it and was walking down the street with my earphones in and chuckled rather loader then usaul because I had music playing.

Still laughing at the image of red dwarf scene, what was the shuttle called ... the bug or something?

carbug.jpg

vlcsnap-2016-08-22-02h52m36s662.png